Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán vs. Gennady Gennadyevich Golovkin III

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, May 25, 2022.

Cinnamon Boy or Triple Gee?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2022.
  1. Álvarez on points

47.9%
  2. Álvarez by stoppage

19.8%
  3. Draw

1.0%
  4. Golovkin on points

7.3%
  5. Golovkin by stoppage

24.0%
  1. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    February 9: [url]https://www.ringtv.com/634710-canelo-alvarez-reportedly-close-to-accepting-bivol-and-golovkin-in-two-bout-dazn-deal/[/url]

"Instead, Alvarez and Eddie Hearn are reportedly working on a two-fight deal for boxing’s biggest star to return to DAZN.

ESPN was first to report the story.

The first fight would be against WBA light heavyweight titlist Dmitry Bivol (19-0, 11 KOs) on May 7, while the second, given Canelo is victorious, would be a trilogy fight against The Ring’s No. 1-rated middleweight Gennadiy Golovkin on September 17."

May 7: [url]https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2022/05/07/canelo-alvarez-v-dmitri-bivol-boxing-cannot-afford-another-controversy/[/url]

"Promoter Hearn has plans to bring Canelo to the UK in December, while a trilogy fight with Golovkin (Canelo narrowly won the second fight with the Kazakh a year later) is planned at super middleweight, the division in which the Mexican holds all the belts, back in Vegas in September. But Canelo must first defeat Bivol."

May 9: [url]https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1104160/canelo-twitter-dmitry-bivol-result-gennady-golovkin/amp/[/url]

"Bivol apologised for ruining the Canelo vs GGG trilogy in his post-fight interview, telling Eddie Hearn: 'Sorry I broke your plans with Gennady Golovkin.'"

If Canelo was going to continue campaigning at light heavyweight or take aim at Makabu, it wouldn't have been before fulfilling DAZN's wish for Golovkin III.

2. Your Mum

Your Mum Member Full Member

Jan 21, 2022
    Golovkin v Canelo is heading the same way as Pacquiao v Marquez. So the most controversial Canelo win yet

3. FanManII

FanManII Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Golovkin knocks Clenelo out this time around.

4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I jibed for one specific reason which you're still refusing to even comprehend. Never called Bivol a cherry-pick. Never said he deserved ridicule for merely having been defeated by a better man. You're purposefully avoiding any acknowledgment of what my actual pointed criticism of him was/is, so fine, whatever. I'm ignoring you in kind, henceforth. :thumbsup:

5. The G-Man

The G-Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Based on what?

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Guessing from a combination of how cleanly Bivol landed on him, and how balls-out throwback aggressive GGG was against Murata. I can sort of see why people are leaning that way, BUT - it should be noted that Bivol is longer, taller, and younger & more prime than Golovkin and, while he did apply effective pressure at times, cleaved nearer to Mayweather's blueprint of sitting pretty and letting Canelo impale himself on single & double straight counters. That said, interesting tidbit here: Golovkin is the overall more accurate puncher than Bivol per Comp-U-Box, with Bivol averaging 30.8% (17.1 landed of 55.5 thrown per round) weighing up short of the Kazakh's beastly 37% (24.3 landed of 65.6 thrown per round) and GGG surprisingly even averages more connected jabs per round at 10.2 compared with Bivol's nine flat. To be fair, these stats are career accumulative, so not reflective of their respective connect rates at present.

Also, these guys have already gone 24 rounds and, while it would be disingenuous of his cheerleaders to claim that Canelo was never remotely hurt, it also would be a reach to say that he seemed incapable of taking a reasonable number of flush power shots from Gennady. Factoring in perhaps diminished confidence on the Mexican's part and that bullying display in Saitama, perhaps you could imaginatively stretch the pieces to fit together and say that a stoppage might be in play if the stars align, with a sustained barrage or single blow catching the ginger unseen at just the right angle or moment - but realistically, a full twelve is, given precedent, and the fact that we're talking a 40 year old and 31 year old, the most logical probability.

kiwi_boxer and Oddone like this.
  7. The G-Man

The G-Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    To me if anything Canelo knocks Golovkin out this time not the other way around.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  8. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    GGG has not fought at 168, he is 40 years old - this is a facade for the casuals.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
  10. Fourth_Horseman

Fourth_Horseman Member Full Member

May 12, 2022
    You are right on all counts but show me a boxer and I will show a cheat.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Oddone likes this.
  11. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    That's all spin. Getting busted for clenbuterol? He ate some contaminated meat in Mexico. That's not cheating, that's not getting busted.

He waited a year to fight GGG the first time? So? The fact is he stepped up and fought him in a very reasonable amount of time. Mayweather waited 6 years to shamelessly duck Pacquiao, accusing him of being on PEDs, all the while they were in the same weight class. Canelo waiting a year to fight GGG in a new weight class upon advice of his promoter is just being smart and cautious. Waiting for GGG to turn 40 years old is BS. GGG had been inactive, GGG had exactly 1 fight for 2 and a half years. During that time, there was a pandemic, with Canelo fighting and winning titles at higher weight classes. There were bigger and more important fights for Canelo to make during that time.

GGG is just as much to blame if not more than Canelo for the fight not happening. GGG has been making excuses and acting like a spoiled kid since Canelo beat him.

12. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I think GGG can get a stoppage - if he head hunts less and works the body - which has 2 fold dividends; it will depelte Canelos stamina reserves, and avoids Canelo's excellent head movement taking the sting of headshots.

Bivol laid a blueprint there with that sneaky straight body jab, that - combined with Ginge loading upon arm shots - really depleted his gas tank.

Obviously the risk for GGG is the uppercut counters, but again from the Bivol blueprint, where Bivol was choosing the perfect time to tag Canelo with counters when Canelo was trying to get his breath back and wasn't responding, GGG should be looking for liver and rib hooks - like the one that put Macklin down; these shots were absent in the first 2 matches, and I think if GGG can work these in, then it can set up a tired and frustrated Canelo for the championship rounds.

A big if of course, but that's what I'm hoping to see

13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    This content is protected

gollumsluvslave likes this.