Saunders/Canelo

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Hattonmad, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Saunders giving out about team Canelo, saying they're looking to cut his pay and give him short notice to fight and he won't allow that to happen. Perhaps he has a point about the pay cut but he has at least nine weeks until September to prepare, which is the proposed fight month. He must be fat as a pig if that isn't long enough to prepare.

I like Billy but he's in the now or never stage of his career in regard to fights like Canelo. Just take the fight man!

2. ryuken87

ryuken87 Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Yeah he's wasted so much time, if he hasn't stayed in shape for when that phonecall comes he's only got himself to blame.

3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I don’t blame him. Canelo is a hard fight and Saunders needs to be prepared. I don’t blame him for not staying fighting fit throughout the pandemic since there was a pong period where he couldn’t even do pads properly. Are boxers even allowed to spar now?

4. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Given up with Saunders, he’s a bum. Not in terms of skill but in terms of attitude and professionalism. 9 weeks is more than enough time if you’ve kept yourself in shape, he obviously hasn’t because he’s thick as ****.

Goes back to the Whyte/AJ/Ruiz situation. If you believe you’re good enough , you take that opportunity and make a name for yourself.

5. UKboxingfan

Nov 28, 2018
    Are you serious? 9 weeks isn’t enough time to prepare? If he kept himself at a reasonable level of fitness it wouldn’t be a problem. What do you think of all those footballers who are now playing 90 minutes every few days after 3 months off?

And what are your thoughts on Whyte not taking the fight against Joshua that time?

MooMan, mcvey and dryzer like this.
  6. UKboxingfan

Nov 28, 2018
    And it’s actually 10 weeks , it’s 72 days until the September 12 date being banded about.

mcvey likes this.
  7. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    He knew the Canelo fight was looming and should've been training and eating well, regardless of the pandemic. There's Joe Soap's out there getting thenselves in fantastic condion during the pandemic. I'm usually on Billy's side but there's no excuses here.

Scissors, MooMan, mcvey and 8 others like this.
  8. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    It’s up to Billy Joe. He has been i fights before when he has been out of shape and as a result nearly lost to inferior fighters. He’s also been in perfect shape and boxed excellently. Only Saunders knows what his current condition is and if he’s not satisfied he’d be able to get in shape in time, that’s the end of the matter. And then if Canelo’s team are trying to shortchange him as he has indicated, that’s even more reason not to fight.

When Whyte refused to AJ fight he did so initially because Hearn tried to put a rematch purse split in AJ’s favour even if Whyte was to be the winner in the fight. So I absolutely do not blame Whyte again for turning that down. It’s nothing to do with prep time. Of course Whyte may also have been in a condition where he would fail the drug tests so that could have been another reason. Hell that could even be the reason for Saunders declining the fight now but it’s his preorogative.

Let’s not forget that Saunders was ready to go on May 2nd with the fight scrapped because of the pandemic. Let’s not act like he is scared of Canelo.

neverheardofher and Wizbit1013 like this.
  9. UKboxingfan

Nov 28, 2018
    That’s fair enough mate, at least your consistent with your opinion. I don’t think Saunders is scared of canelo , I just think his attitude and professionalism is all wrong. If he’s kept himself in some sort of shape Then a 10 week camp is perfect. I go back to the Andy Ruiz situation, it wasn’t great money in comparison to what AJ was getting but he took His chance and changed his life. Saunders has pretty much no popularity and admitted it himself so has little to fall back on.

10. UKboxingfan

Nov 28, 2018
    Don’t know how anyone could argue with this. I know you’ve spoke well of Billy Joe before and you can see it. It’s basic professionalism, footballers have been off for 3 months and are playing 90 minutes every few days with no pre-season. Billy is getting 10 weeks to prepare, If he was in any sort of shape it’s a perfect amount of time.

DJN16 likes this.
  11. FP 2.0

FP 2.0 Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Maybe if he would have done more videos on how to beat up your wife/girlfriend he’d be in better shape?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Turpins chin likes this.
  12. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    I think Saunders deep down knows that he can’t get a win against Canelo because he’s not knocking him out and he would never get a decision on points and that’s why he’s insistent on being well paid for it.

I absolutely do believe that Saunders thinks he can outbox Canelo and even get a decision on fans’ cards but he needs to be in elite 15-round shape to be able to execute the game plan.

I’m desperate to see the fight so I’m disappointed but I don’t want to see a half-arsed Billy joe step in with Canelo. He needs to be in perfect condition and probably also on PEDs because we all know Canelo is.

neverheardofher, Wizbit1013 and pow like this.
  13. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    that saunders thinks he wont be fit enough in 10 weeks says it all about how unprofessional he is.

Scissors, mcvey, Willis Brown and 3 others like this.
  14. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Yeah i don't really have much sympathy for Saunders. He has never been professional and now will miss out on the biggest fight because of it. No doubt he will blame everybody else.

mcvey and DJN16 like this.
  15. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Shouldn't he be in shape all year round if he's a professional athlete? Or is boxing just something he does part-time?

He's lucky to ever be allowed to lace gloves, with all his disgusting behaviour over the years.

mcvey, DJN16 and UKboxingfan like this.