Saunders v Isufi WBO Super Middleweight title

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Feb 18, 2019.

1. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Hearn would have been after Saunders because he'd then chuck him at Golovkin or Canelo and with that comes money.

There's not a cat in hell's chance that he thinks he can turn Saunders into a guy who'll make him money as an A side. Everyone hates him which is why he ends up fighting for a world title in a leisure centre and his big stadium fight is at the 19th smallest venue in League Two.

mcvey likes this.
  2. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    With all that said why is Saunders fighting in a 6k capacity ground yet Joshua is filling Wembley?

mcvey likes this.
  3. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Perfectly understand that reasoning, but I don't think it would be the reasoning of the large sections of the UK that Matchroom appeal to

NasalSpray likes this.
  4. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    'Oh, Billy Joe Saunders is on? Pass me the remote and my card details. I love this guy. You see, he's the sort of bloke who'd tell a crackhead he'd pay her to punch someone, but at least he's honest about it.'

5. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Let's say BJS signed with matchroom. Fought Eubank Jr on sky PPV (stacked undercard) and beats him again. Moves down to middleweight and beats Andrade on sky/DAZN. Then gets the Canelo fight. You can't tell me there wouldn't he huge interest in UK for that fight.

Keep Billy in shape and active, put him in exciting matchup's and his ability would look after the rest. Beats Canelo and he's p4p top 5. He'd be a star then, wouldn't he. One of the only guys on the planet who would give Canelo a serious fight.

A bit of idiotic behaviour and poor management doesn't make a bloke "unpromotable". It just makes his career a bit of a waste. Luckily for Billy, his best years are ahead of him. Hopefully Davison can keep him in shape like he has Tyson.

6. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    I think you're right that there would be an interest but I don't see that transferring to people supporting him if you know what I mean.

I don't think he's ever going to be that unless he has some massive personality transplant. Say what you like about the most popular boxers the country has produced; none of them come across anywhere near as bad as Saunders. Yes, some people thought Lewis was aloof and that Haye was arrogant; that Hatton played up to a character and that Joshua is fake. But it feels to me that the vast majority of people in boxing deeply dislike Saunders and the vast majority outside know him best as 'that scumbag gypsy who taunts drug addicts.'

7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Tyson Fury has never sold out a single arena.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Canelo will beat the **** out of him.

Brixton Bomber and Scissors like this.
  9. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    But that’s due to the fact that his style is considered “boring” especially by the casual audience. Remind me of the numbers Mike Tyson did?

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Is Saunders exciting then?

TonyHayers likes this.
  11. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    It’s easier said than done.

I don’t think Frank has done much wrong with him, all the problems BJS has had have been self inflicted. He’s been a **** to Frank to be honest, constantly let him down. Eddie tried to have a go, offered him a career high payday in a very exciting fight with Andrade, which then would have led on to Canelo/GGG/Jacobs and he ****ed it up again. The man is his own worst enemy.

12. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Agreed. As much as I have no time for Warren I don't think the handling of Saunders' career has been that bad. Saunders himself just seems intent on pressing self-destruct time and again.

The evidence I have for why he's so difficult to promote is that this was a domestic world champion in an era when boxing was booming in this country. Joshua and Froch were filling Wembley, Bellew was fighting at Goodison or filling the O2 against Haye. Brook was doing considerable numbers at Bramall Lane or filling the O2 against Golovkin. And it's not just Hearn fighters. Warrington v Frampton was a big success at Elland Road. Even Fury who's not that popular did 500k on PPV beating Klitschko.

And where was Saunders? A leisure centre for god's sake. If he's got this massive commercial value what on earth is he doing at venues holding a tenth of the crowd that turn up to watch the likes of Okolie and Edwards?

mcvey likes this.
  13. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    In my opinion yes but what has that got to do with the discussion earlier and the reason why I entered the discussion this morning? The issue was whether he was “promotable” due to his behaviour and I provided evidence that he clearly is because Hearn made him an offer in the millions to eventually fight DAZN’s top fighter.

14. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Hearn offered him loads because if he does that then he's got a dog in the fight for a fight that generates a fortune. He couldn't care less about Saunders; it's all about the Canelo money.

It's actually not that different to what Arum is doing with Fury. He knows the guy will do nothing against cans like Schwarz, but he's sensible enough to get a guy onside who could soon be in a serious moneyspinner.

Still, BJ didn't take the offer, so he's fighting in Stevenage.

mcvey likes this.
  15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    The post directly below yours explains it I think.