Saunders v Isufi WBO Super Middleweight title

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Billy is probably the best boxer in Britain. I don't see how the best boxer in Britain could be "unpromotable". His style ain't boring either. He's a slick southpaw that'll counter all night. Has pop there too when he sits down on his punches, ask Andy Lee.

Eddie Hearn recently offered him eight figures to sign for DAZN. Not something you offer a fighter who's "unpromotable".

His career has been stop/start to say the least. Some of it Billy's fault, some of it Warren's fault and most recently, I'd blame Ingle. However, at Billy's age, his best years should be ahead of him. He's good enough to win multiple belts at multiple weight classes. Warren just needs to keep him active and let him off the leash. No more bull**** fights after this one.

2. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I'd suggest he's not boring to you. I'd say a lot of his fights are pretty boring to the many. Yes he's slick, but he never really stops anyone anymore, and he's been in more than one or two rather dull fights of late. Akavov and Munroe were hardly the sort of thing to get you excited about his next fight.

I think he's largely unpromotable because he's known more for being an idiot than he is a boxer. It's a well known fact that your average Brit doesn't like travellers. I'm not saying that with any element of judgement behind it; it just is what it is, and big numbers getting behind a guy like Saunders who comes across like an absolute scrote of a man, (as opposed to, say, Hughie Fury, Nathan Gorman or Andy Lee, all of whom for me come across as really decent people), seems a stretch. Also, just being the best isn't necessarily enough to make you that popular.

mcvey likes this.
  3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    What a pathetic post. And this coming from the man who defended Joshua calling his race the “superior race”. Yet it’s Saunders who is “not promotable”.

4. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Joshua is promotable in the sense that he breaks all UK PPV sales and attendance records and becomes the richest British boxer by a mile. That happens because he's easy to promote.

Saunders ends up in a leisure centre.

mcvey likes this.
  5. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    Yet Hearn is still prepared to chuck millions at him to fight on DAZN. But yeah, you go ahead and tell your bumlord not to try to sign him because he is “not promotable”.

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    The proof of the pudding-------

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Do you have primary sources for those, "millions" or is that an off the top of your head comment?

8. Fanta Punch

Fanta Punch New Member banned Full Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Another paid Queensbury shill

9. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    This content is protected

Eddie Hearn himself. And FYI the rumoured number Hearn was referring to in that video was $15m reported by World Boxing News.

Clearly a fight package featuring Andrade and Canelo or Jacobs is going to venture into eight figures.

But no, ignore this. @TonyHayers is correct. Saunders is “not promotable”.

****ing stone cold idiots on this forum...

dryzer likes this.
  10. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    10 posts since 2016 & you only post on stuff like this...

dryzer and CutThroatFade like this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    The point is Saunders has fought none of those guys and doesn't look like doing so any time soon.
    A fight package comprising 3 fights against top ranked fighters doesn't mean Saunders is himself particularly financially viable. They would be the A side, not Saunders, if he was a cash cow he wouldn't be fighting in a ****ing leisure centre.
    Saunders is a skilled boxer ,no doubt but not "Mr Excitement".
    I've never met him but a couple of my friends have participating in another sport altogether,they tell me he is a *****,that doesn't concern me but his public image has certainly took a hit over the last 18moths.
    I'm ignoring nothing I don't have a horse in this race,so save your insults for those that appreciate them .

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    TonyHayers and Brixton Bomber like this.
  12. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    Public image doesn’t matter at all in boxing and MMA. The more controversial and “bad” someone is, the more appeal they have, provided they actually win.

Tyson Fury made some of the most controversial statements a fighter can make and he is a casual’s dream right now and people love him. Saunders’ profile sky rocketed after Lemieux. Joe Rogan was raving about him on his podcast afterwards, don’t underestimate the exposure he’ll have had from that. His showboating was all over social media after it, complete casuals became aware of him.

The discussion here was about whether he was “promotable” and the number one promoter in the UK made a “massive” offer (in his own words) to sign him. That’s all that needs to be said.

Saunders has huge commercial value, only an idiot would dispute that.

13. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Think there's a difference between him and Fury though, quite a large one. Fury is much, much more charismatic and can be sold as the antithesis to AJ. Saunders' out of the ring behavior has been frankly disgusting at times and the casual market might like a heel but they don't tend to like someone who comes across little more than an illiterate bully. Fury has been able to become venerable with his speaking about mental health and be an inspirational figure. I don't think Saunders can do that at all. Plus, though technically he is excellent, his fights have largely lacked drama, something the Fury-WIlder fight had in abundance.

Maybe Hearn thinks he could make it work with the Matchroom audience for Billy Joe, but they like a specific type of person and I really don't think he fits that mold at all.

14. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    BJS is the furthest thing from promotable!

Unreliable
    Unwilling to fight the best
    No charisma
    No personality
    Isn’t must-see viewing

He’s everything you don’t need in a fighter if you’re a promoter.

mcvey likes this.
  15. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    I actually prefer Saunders to Fury because of what you just said. Fury is trying too hard to be"redeemable", it comes off as disingenuous. With Saunders you get what's on the tin.