Saunders vs Lemieux

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Twentyman, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    The WBO have ordered this fight and it could happen by the beginning of 2018.

What an exciting fight this is and surely what everyone has been screaming out for, for ages. Both fighters seem up for it. If Saunders has stayed in the gym since the Monroe win, and keeps his discipline in his training with Ingle I’m confident it’ll be UD victory for him.

2. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    EVERY Saunders fight is a distance fight. This means DL has the full fight to land one. He is a huge puncher. But a limited one dimensional one. Dont think the styles match well - I expect a sloppy fight here.....be hard to watch I feel. A bit like CEJ-Saunders was an awful scuffle to watch.

3. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Totally agree. Outside the current champions Lemieux is in next small group of fighters as being main threats in the division. Very interesting fight as it would be interesting to the final bell as Lemieux carries that equaliser throughout the whole fight. Be great to see BJS fight good level world operators in quick succession.

4. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    They seem to be, mate. Lemieux can certainly dig but it’s very difficult to land a clean shot on Saunders and even on occasions when fighters do, he rolls with the shot and takes the sting out of it.

5. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Saunders has never fought a fighter with the power of lemieux and Saunders new trainer or not he still gasses out lemieux will not stop coming forward even if he opponent makes him looks foolish and I see him stopping Saunders late lemieux is a underrated fighter Saundersis a good fighter but get overrated IMO

all his big fights his only just got over the finish line in most of them

6. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Agreed mate. He needs to be consistently operating on a world level now. There’s every possibility he will have to wait till the back end of 2018 before he can face GGG or Canelo so he needs to stay motivated with these big clashes.

moog likes this.
  7. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Andy Lee, Gary O’Sullivan and some would say Eubank Jn can all dig, mate. He’s had Ingle in his corner for one fight and he didn’t have to work hard so we have no idea if he still gasses.

8. STEPHEN1990

Aug 22, 2017
    None of them hit like lemIeux Lee had some good ko wins but he doesn't hit like lemieux spike doesn't have a good win on his record to saying his even British level unless you wanna say Matthew Halll a light middle that has seen better days and I still think hall beat him and Eubank he is not big puncher am not going over that again

Saunders said before Eubank And before Lee fight he had a great camp but then gasses when ever his pressed in a fight he gasses imo

9. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    In regards to O’Sullivan, just because a fighter isn’t world level it doesn’t mean they can’t bang, bud. It’s all subjective anyway. I agree that Lemieux is a big puncher, I just think him landing it will be the problem.

lencoreastside and moog like this.
  10. STEPHEN1990

Aug 22, 2017
    Saunders does get him in fights and lemieux hits you everywhere and it will not take many with the power lemieux has but even if he doesn't knock him out Saunders will get hurt and not wanna get hit which cod cause Saunders to shell up and try and steal rounds but lemieux has a really good work rate and might win by been more active fighting akavov and Monroe does not get you ready for Iemieux who I rate higher then Saunders

11. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Exactly plus fighting at this level will make him a better fighter. There is always going to be a gap from your past opponents to the elite guys when you fight them but fights like this help bridge that gap. It wasn't so long ago people on this forum were calling for Billy Joe to fight your Monroes and Lemieux's of this world, and now he does and it's suddenly not good enough ! Look not defending the earlier part of his reign as a world champion as it was a disgrace.

Furey and Twentyman like this.
  12. Howitzer1888

Howitzer1888 Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Saunders is much more skilled fighter than Lemieux but even in low-output fights such as against Monroe he seemed to gas. Saunders isn't a very big puncher, either (although he is underrated as a puncher). Lemieux will have many opportunities to land heavy punches. So I think this will either go Saunders points or Lemieux knockout, with the former being slightly more likely.

13. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    In regards to the power, I'd say Lemieux hits harder than Lee but not by a largely significant amount. The bigger difference for me is that Lemieux has more power in both hands than Lee does, and is much tougher. I'm still not sold on Spike's power being THAT great to be honest.

I'd back Saunders in a points win, but a close one. He has to be on point here though. In terms of one punch power I'd actually say Lemieux may well be the hardest single shot fighter in the division but he can be quite crude. Obviously Golovkin took him to school, but that's no slight on Lemieux. N'Dam had plenty of success against him who himself is a very good mover too. I think the brutal Stevens KO would have instilled a lot of confidence in Lemieux and at 28 should be right in his prime.

What a good looking fella, too.

14. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    This is a real good fight coming our way and one im now looking forward to.
    Bjs whether hes with tibbs or ingle or any of the others, simply doesnt live the life. He whips his self into shape when he gets a fight, thats it.
    Ingle aint going to change that. That is down to saunders to change and i just dont believe he will. Bjs has got the typical traveller attitude and them lads do it how they want to do it. Another thing is that some boxers simply arent gifted with the right genetics. They blow no matter how much they train and commit to the lifestyle (groves)
    This will be a fight of two halves i reckon, with bjs trying to steal the last half but the question us can lemueix start landing with note in the last 6rds.
    Personaly i think this is a win for bjs
    With a few dodgy rds towards the end. Bjs will know hes been in with a puncher and might even go down once but he will of done enough to carve out a pts win imo

15. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    This would be a hard fight for BJS. For me Lemueix simply has to make BJS work. Make him work each round and you will have a tired man past 6 rounds.