Saunders "We got a issue with the ring"

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Tyson Fury Goat, May 3, 2021.

1. Stu007

Stu007 Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Billies Dad says they want a ring which is a minimum of 22' between the ropes, how does that compare to the ring size in other recent fights? It sounds big to me, but its not something I've ever looked at closely.

2. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Fairly sure max in the UK is 20.

However, if the contract they signed stated a size which it sounds like it does. It has to be that size regardless.

UKboxingfan and im sparticus like this.
  3. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Good points...
    Also AFAIK ring sizes 16 ft to 20ft, they are in UK. Can't see it been any different with the other governing bodies. What bjs is lobbying for is one if the Olympic rings that is 25 and half ft. Don't even think A.Js was that big for ruiz 2. And that is the rings they use on the amateurs in the Olympics!, it's different in the pros
    Most small hall shows have rings of 16 or 18ft
    What's going on is bjs is trying to kick up a fuss and I don't blame him tbh, he's trying to get a ring that is as large as can be. But reading between the lines of the interviews I've seen, there's nothing to see here

LoadedGlove likes this.
  4. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Don't blame Team Saunders and a lot of what they are saying is true.

1. At least one judge will already have his score card written out as 120-108 Canelo
    2. Supposedly there was meant to be a UK, Mexican and US judge... now there is no UK judge
    3. When the first fight was first signed it was to be in front of 10 - 15k fans now there will be 70k fans but no increase in purse to BJS.
    4. Eddie Hearn... Saunders PROMOTER... has spent the last few weeks with Canelo's **** firmly in his mouth.
    5. 70k Mexicans cheering Canelo even if he hits fresh air
    6. It's now come to light the ring is meant to be a smaller 18ft...... no doubt they will try the same Wlad / Fury games with the soft canvas too.

He's up against it and knows he's up against it so of course he's also going to play the game himself and not just roll over and let Canelo, Hearn and whoever else have it all there own way.

5. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Is there a chance Saunders goes back to QP regardless of result? (after rematch if he wins), I think Frank and he genuinely get along

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  6. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    Let's be right. It's down to MTK to make sure everything goes right for bjs. Billy should not be having to deal with these issues he needs to be getting his mind focused on the job at hand. All he should be doing is letting Mtk know what he's not happy with

7. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Once he loses he knows Fwank will give him a load of nobodies to fight to add to his retirement fund so I think there’s a very good chance of that.

8. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    Don't forget "the really juicy beef"
    Pmsl when he said that.

9. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Haha you must be joking. i like BJS but they are playing the gypsy games already.

The cards are what they are... dont sign up to the fight if you think the odds are stacked.
    The judges were in the contract as neutral judges to be agreed by both camps. BJS and team have since backtracked and confirmed its neutral judges.
    The 10-15k fans were currently allowed. Hearn never put a figure on how many fans would be there. What promoter in their right mind would sign a fight off that limits them selling tickets and making a profit. That sounds ridiculous. If they wanted a fan cap why not negotiate that into the contract if its such a big deal.
    The ring size will also be in the contract. When asked about that Billy's dad said he didnt know what was in the contract. Sounds like they have no idea what MTK have signed them up to and now have a problem with it

Koli55 and nurological like this.
  10. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    The contract lawyers are out in force on this one.

11. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    So far Billy Joe has issues with
    * the venue
    * the crowd
    * the judges
    * the ring size
    * Eddie favouring Canelo

What next, the weather? The time the fight starts?

12. First Round KO

First Round KO Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Saunders must be the biggest drama queen in boxing, all his excuses are going to look stupid when Canelo irons him out.

13. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Saunders will get in the head of Alvarez, he's getting the comments in and I really don't think that Alvarez will deal with it well. Saunders is selling this fight, he's getting it talked about, he's highlighting controversies and he's getting in their heads.

14. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I like the way that Saunders and his dad arent just turning up for a pay cheque and are challenging some of the mind games.

You get the sense that the likes of Callum Smith and definitely Rocky Fielding, just took the big cheque and laid down.

Saunders has some pride in himself and wont be anyones little *****. I like that attitude.

Lets hope he does himself proud in the ring.

15. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Definitely

Can you imagine if he pulls off the upset and waves goodbye to Matchroom?

TBC-ASAP likes this.