School me on Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MoneyMay1, Sep 14, 2021.

1. MoneyMay1

MoneyMay1 New Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2021
    I have been curious about Joe Louis career after reading all of the praise he has received on this forum. He is consistently ranked among the best or #2 heavyweights of all-time. I am too young to have watched him and don't know much about his career. What made Joe Louis great?

I read that while he had great power, he was slow of foot and was just 200 lbs. That doesn't seem like a great combo. According to the observers of his time, Joe Louis was facing a bum of the month club opposition of has beens and never will bes.

What are Joe Louis great attributes? What great fighters did Joe Louis beat? He lost to the 3 best fighters he ever faced: Max Schmelling (won the rematch), Rocky Marciano, and Ezzard Charles.

OTOH, Joe Louis was the champion for 11 years which is a Boxing Record for any division. He beat the Legendary Jersey Joe Walcott twice. He beat the German champ Max Schmelling in a 1 round KO. A lot of great sportswriters seem to think highly of Louis.

2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I’d start by watching him fight. He beat several past champions in Schmeling, Carnera, Sharkey, Jersey Joe, Braddock, Max Baer. He also beat excellent to great contenders in Conn, Bivins, Pastor, Baer, Galento, Levinsky, Godoy, Abe Simon, Buddy Baer, Savold, Nova.
    Threw possibly the fastest most crisp combos deadly accurate w a lot of power behind. He was a scary man
    Hardest I’ve ever personally been hit was by two men weighing 195-205 range just like Louis. Weight thing means little to me personally. His speed and accuracy combined w his power are impressive.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  3. The Fighting Yoda

The Fighting Yoda Active Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    Joe Louis was selected by The Ring magazine as the greatest puncher of all times (due to his deadly combos and qualities as a finisher).

There are many of his fights on youtube. For example, his fight against Max Baer. A former world champion, great puncher with an excellent chin (never lost by knockout before that bout). Joe Louis was only 21 years old.

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The “Bible of boxing” wasn’t Benitez I can tell you that. Joe Louis was the most mechanically wonderful boxer I’ve ever seen.

5. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya Member Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    Look up his boxing record on Wikipedia or BoxRec. His Resume was INSANE! He knocked out Lineal Heavyweight Champions and highly ranked contenders of all shapes, sizes, and styles. His foot work was not particularly fast but his hands were. And when he got a guy hurt forget it! He could box, slug, and even do a little swarming at times. He was the complete fighter. And he accomplished all of this while giving up part of his prime while serving during World War Two. I personally rank him at #1 All Time. I never saw him in person either but I have seen all of the available films of him and including some not on YouTube. As Tina Turner sang: "You're simply the best!"

6. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Attributes:

- incredible hand speed
    - the best combination punching technique ever
    - above average punching power and accuracy
    - stamina to go 15 rounds
    - ability to deal with adversity and adjust
    - Fairly solid chin. Generally took a long term beating to finish him and in the only two instances it happened were both before and past his pinnacle

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  7. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    BETTER THEN ALL THE REST!!!!

Also- Ali > Louis.... :nusenuse:

greynotsoold and Shay Sonya like this.
  8. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya Member Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    You and my Grandfather! :cool: I have Ali at #2 All Time.

Kamikaze and Fergy like this.
  9. Saintpat

Saintpat Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Eddie Futch said Mike Tyson’s handspeed was the best he’d seen since Joe Louis.

Joe was slow afoot but his hands were blurs. Blurs with bricks in them.

Kamikaze and cross_trainer like this.
  10. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Djanders knows best!

Shay Sonya likes this.
  11. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    My favorite thing about Louis was how strong in his stance he was. He was never off balance and always in good position. His timing was off the charts.

12. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    He was fast with his hands, great balance, superb power, beautiful combinations, excellent stamina (watch how he holds his power late), and a terrific judge of distance. He was terrific.

Watch the Max Baer fight, and check out the triple left hook he blitzes Max with. Amazingly fast, accurate, and each one as powerful as the last. Tremendous performance.

13. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I'd like to add to this excellent post if I may. IMO Louis was the best combination punching HW of all time. I also don't feel he was slow of foot I believe he was economical a minimalist who just had to move as much as he needed to. He didn't waste anything. Great great fighter

14. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Hagiographer Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think he had pretty slow feet as he got older. When he was young his feet were pretty fast when needed.

70sFan865 likes this.
  15. META5

META5 Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Yeah - you can see his fleetness of foot in the Max Baer fight at times.

Interesting to note that his footspeed seemed to lessen as he got older - his adjustment to it is commendable. Other greats weren't so good at adjusting to their physical declines.

Joe's most underrated ability is likely his ability to jab and catch and parry the return jab.