Scott Fitzgerald vs Ted Cheeseman

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by cornwall22, Oct 7, 2019.

Who will win?

1. Fitzgerald

57 vote(s)
    93.4%
  2. Cheeseman

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I genuinely hope Cheeseman gets through this without getting seriously hurt. He’s too tough for his own good and his corner have demonstrated that they’ll leave him in even when he’s out of his depth.

Fitzgerald stops him.

2. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Bold claim seeing as he’s not really shown any evidence that he’s that much better than Fitzgerald

3. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    What has Fitzgerald done to prove he's anywhere near world level?

4. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Fowler is a stepping stone to bigger fights, especially after he beats Cheeseman. Fitz beating Fowler tops anything Cheeseman has done, I think he could beat Garcia, I really do.

5. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Who said he was, because it wasn’t me?

im sparticus likes this.
  6. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    That's a big point and something that needs to be addressed, I can't stand brave cornermen. The worst kind. Just because they are thinking of the money / success for themselves if somehow their fighter pulls through and not what is actually happening in the present.

Twentyman likes this.
  7. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Fitzgerald isn’t world level because he’s only had 13 fights against domestic level opponents, so really we don’t know if he’ll hack it at Euro level yet...but with the same measuring stick you can’t say Garcia is at world level. We know he’s comfortable at Euro level but we have no idea how he would go at world level against a Charlo, Williams, Hurd etc or even fringe world level like a Liam Smith for example.

If he’s stepped up carefully who’s to say Fitzy can’t eventually go on to reach that level. I think Josh Warrington’s journey should be held up as an example of what you can achieve if stepped up in the right way against the right opponent.

8. murphman22

murphman22 Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Every fight is different of course and there might could be a potential of overrating Fitzgerald based on the Fowler performance.

However, everything points towards a big performance for Scott here. Cheeseman won’t be able to box on the outside so will be forced to put pressure on and back his opponent up as normal. I think this plays into Scott’s hands who is who could easily light him up at close range due to handspeed and power. Cheeseman obviously ships too many shots and as bad a beating as Garcia gave him, he wasn’t a huge puncher. Fitz really does bang and he can put his shots together and when Cheeseman misses he’ll be made to pay. Given the nature of the 24 rounds he has had in 2019, I think this has come far too early.

The main question mark is Fitzgerald himself. While you have to take pre fight ‘best camp ever’ talk with a pinch of salt it appears he has been living with Jennings which can only be a good thing and seems very grounded. I think he is a very gifted boxer puncher who could easily move on to Euro-World level. On the flip side as strong and relentless as Cheese looked last year, I start to question whether he is realistically just a very good area fighter, who will win some fights at British level.

Fitzgerald by KO for me.

9. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Have to back Fitzgerald, he’s just the more talented boxer and also a big puncher at this level.

Cheeseman is still a good fighter, the trouble is he only has one way of fighting so certain styles are going to trip him up and likewise smarter boxers.

I think it’s harsh to describe him as area level even if he did have a mare last time out against a relatively unknown kid.

If it’s a boxing match then Fitzgerald wins, if it’s a war then Cheeseman gets knocked out.

10. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    Look at Cheeseman's face and look at who he has fought. Like Dave Allen and Josh Kelly the face and the level of opponents they've faced tells the story, three guys with smashed up noses.

11. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Fitzgerald for me in a pretty one sided beating. Ted is tough as nails and has a fantastic engine but Fitzgerald the better boxer and the harder puncher.

Ted will take a beating. Hope his corner stop it at the right time

12. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Just been reminded that this is a British title defence for Cheeseman. Totally forgot he was still British champ. Probably cos his last win was 3 fights ago.

13. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    Where does Cheeseman go when he loses this, a second defeat in three fights with the other being a draw against area level opposition. Back to the drawing board I say, he's got to work on his defence.

14. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Just been reading about poor Patrick Day. Now I'm thinking of Ted Cheeseman, a guy who fights with the heart of a lion but who comes forward taking blows, round after punishing round.

Maybe he can sort his defence out, maybe there's some technical change he can make. I hope so, because that Garcia fight was a tough watch.

Some guys are too brave for their own good.

15. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Fitz his usual down to earth self with a couple of funny one liners.

This content is protected