Selby v Frampton: who would win?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, Jul 16, 2017.

who wins ..Carl or Lee?

1. Carl

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Lee

29 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Probably Selby as size matters but I think Carl gives him a very good fight. Selby seems to me a guy very capable of having 'off' days and if that were to be the case then Carl can exploit that. But if we're speaking purely on logic then Selby has to be the favorite. Carl will struggle to get past that jab and even when he does Selby is very good at moving around. And yes, me and Carlos are on first name terms.

2. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    What worried me was that he had 12 rounds to adjust and never managed to do it. Also given he was losing, and must have known it, he never tried any desperation tactics either.
    Even if for one round he tried to ko Leo...but he didn't....or couldn't.. .

On the other hand Selby has a weaker cv and ppl may be over rating him I feel.

3. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    That worried me about his lack of tactics, not changing during fight. Obviously LSC is better than anyone on Selbys record but outside they Selbys opponents are on par with Carl's.

4. Jim Jeffries

Jim Jeffries Ring General banned Full Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I think both guys are a bit overrated but Frampton more so. I think they're relatively on the same level and it's a bit of a toss up. 50/50. I give Frampton the edge due to experience. Either way both guys aren't anything special and LSC isn't, either. Good boxers not great boxers. Good can be enough to pick up an alphabet belt.

Selby does have lapses where he gets caught by unnecessary shots as shown in the Hunter fight.

Frampton has disadvantages size wise i feel and would be better going down in a weight. He can win as this on paper for me is genuinely 50/50.

5. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    I think Carl can beat Lee.
    What Carl has to do is take Lees strengths away from him and force him to play where hes weak.
    His strengths are 1s 2s and 3s and combinations thereof, hes also got a decent looping right uppercut. Spinning out after punches, step backs and controlling distance at long range and boxing off back foot. Hes great at mashing up opponents that come in a straight lines

His weaknesses are any tight shots especialy hooking.Mid and short range defences and is wide open for tight left hooks.
    Hes poor when the space behind him starts becoming smaller and is poor at steping to his right although hes got slightly better at that over the past year or so..
    He struggles with opp that come in at angles.

Carl has to come in fast closing him down asap from angles. He has to use his ring iq here by holding centre and then bring the press either by leading the press or countering/drawing, then pressing.
    Keep changing angles and position.

Carl is capable of all the above and thats why i favour him over Lee Selby. But if Carl allows Lee to control the distance he wont win.

The only thing that worrys me is he didnt go to plan B in lsc2 and his inside work wasnt as good as i know it can be.
    Im putting that down to the fact that Shane didnt think lsc2 was going to be any different to 1. He overlooked and paid the price. They got so one tracked minded that the suprise overwhelmed them.

Blah, moog and lencoreastside like this.
  6. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010

That's a very detailed breakdown...either you're the biggest spoofer in town or else you really know your stuff. :) which is it :). ?

im sparticus likes this.
  7. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    Tbf i do like doing technical breakdowns

8. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Good breakdown, though I fancy Lee to win u certainly do not see it as a full gone conclusion far from it and I know if he didn't bring A Game and Carl did Carl would win. You talk of angles both are good at coming in and retreating at angles but this is an area we're I feel Lee is even stronger than Carl and is quicker at throwing slipping and getting out of range. I believe this would for 95-98% be a chess match at would rarely breakout into a toe to toe fight.

im sparticus likes this.
  9. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    You are correct in saying that Lee does retreat well at angles but he doesnt do as well stepping over to his right whilst retreating as he does to his left. I suppise u could argue that going left is the favoured angle of most orthadox fighters but we are talking world level operaters here and simply put, lee is poor at moving right. Iv also have to add that he only retreats well (esp left) while hes in control of the pace, if Carl can dictate the pace, lee isnt as good at retreating in either direction.
    This is where iq comes in, carl has to try close down lee choosing to move left over right, he has to encourage movement to lees right.
    Eric Hunter showed us how vulnarable Selby can be in mid range and im not just talking the knockdown.
    Hunter landed the tight left hook clean in every rd except 2rds whete he landed it clean twice.
    Selby us a car crash waiting to happen in mid range, if Carl can keep timing him onto the left hook by stepping in whilst lee is moving right he will finish him imo.
    Lee selby is fantastic at some things bit poor at others.
    Carl has to make him play poor

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Seriously though, Carl is inclined to wait for the other guy to make a mistake. Selby would nickel and dime him to death while Carl wIted for the "perfect" counter. He has to get a LOT more aggressive if he is to beat Selby.

11. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Brilliant post 100% spot on.

12. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    I agree with your point to a degree but Carl is quite one paced and doesn't throw the volume to capitalise on that if a inform Lee turns up. If Carl had the skills he does and Santa Cruz like work rate I would feel he had a very strong chance but he doesn't.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  13. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    Yep...dictate the pace.
    Letting Lee lead off and waiting for counters isnt enough. If he does this hell get beat

14. Greb

Greb New Member Full Member

May 31, 2014
    if selby is allowed to keep it in the middle of the ring he wins handily with the jab and a pot shot or two. Frampton has to pressure him to the ropes and dig selbys body. can't see him doing it as he's not a pressure fighter. i feel like robbie savage having to analyze a match after gary neville (above) has just done it.

lencoreastside likes this.
  15. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Apart from not being a great fight for Carl, it might well be a poor fight for the paying fans too. Little action, Carl chasing and hitting mostly fresh air as he falls short with his shots, and Lee "winning" rounds on the cards with the odd flick here the odd flap there....