Send in an ATG to beat Prime Liston (mid to late 50's version)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BrutalForeman, Jul 2, 2019.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I can certainly agree with this. Perhaps this always would have contributed to his disappointing reign?

2. Saintpat

Saintpat Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Sonny was old when he fought Patterson and Ali but I don’t think he was in his mid to late 50s.

choklab likes this.
  3. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    No in real life Frazier was always taller than Patterson. They were photographed together many times.

This content is protected

This content is protected

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  4. Arminius1

Arminius1 Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Ali for sure. I read the Sonny was afraid of crazy people. And he thought Clay/Ali was crazy.

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Yea he withstood pain. No dispute on that. Marshall being much smaller may have played a role in Sonny lasting the distance. I don't know anyone who has video of that fight. I did read an account that said Sonny was caught laughing at one of Marshalls slick moves. Marshall was a cutie from what I understand. He was fighting this fight Sonny was laughing and Marshall call him as he was laughing with his mouth open. In a sense it could have been a lucky punch is my point.

swagdelfadeel and choklab like this.
  6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Sonny was afraid of the Nation Of Islam. They have a lot of power in the prison system and Sonny saw first-hand the brutality they were capable of.

7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    It was an early fight, it probably shouldn’t matter because this was before Liston went to prison for almost two years. He came back starting his career over again in 1958. That’s when sonnys career really began. Anything Sonny did before 1958 doesn't really count because he had only been active two years then was away for just as long.

But at any rate, the story of the laughing causing the broken jaw only came from Sonny. It never made it into any press report. The official report says Sonny got hit a lot of times by a telegraphed corkscrew right hand - probably because he wasn’t experienced enough at that point. But it probably doesn’t matter.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  8. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Good post .....liston was excellent but never great

choklab likes this.
  9. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I'm not too keen on them myself!

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    "But that was a freak" according to boxing men present. As one says "Marshall was hitting away at Liston and Sonny was sort of laughing at him and suddenly just as he opened his mouth, Marshall hit him flush and broke the jaw. It was five months before Liston could fight again"

Independent

Long Beach, California

Wednesday, December 6th, 1961

11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta We Do Chicken Right!! Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Louis, Tyson, Lennox Lewis possible Holyfield and Bowe

12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    It's just crazy how much weight some attempt to put into a loss a guy had in his 8th ever pro fight 12 months into his pro career. An 8 round fight against a guy with more than triple the professional experience. A split decision in which the loser had his jaw broken. Liston had him up and down like a yoyo six months and two fights later for a stoppage. Liston then whupped him again 12 months later for good measure while not losing a single round.

It's the epitome of clutching at straws and incredibly shallow.

13. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    This gets to the heart of things!

14. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah, I now believe anything Sonny did before 1958 shouldn’t count against him. Sonny was a big young novice. It happened. His jaw was broke and he was not laughing at the time. The report says he got hit a lot by right hands. That will do it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  15. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah but that gets ruled out because the fight did not happen in 1961. Until there is film turning up to prove it did happen it is safe to say it did not happen like that. What was documented at the time was Sonny got hit a Lot of times with the same punch in that fight but it does not matter because nothing he did before 1958 should really count.