Sergey Alexandrovich Kovalev vs. Saúl Álvarez Barragán & Ryan García vs. Romero Caingcoy Duno RBR

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Nov 2, 2019.

1. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Congratulations to the new lineal and Ring light-heavyweight champion. Even if he doesn't defend his title you know every organization will rate him as the champ at light-heavyweight for years while Beterbiev smashes the likes of Bivol and Ramirez.

JacK Rauber likes this.
  2. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Everything you say rings of repulsive phoniness. Are you even human? Try communicating without snark some time. People will like you a lot more.

3. Frankus

Frankus Active Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2016
    As much as I dislike his promoter, Canelo is a superb boxer. Losing a lopsided fight then lights out. Amazing.

yeyo monster and Accurate like this.
  4. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Beterbiev is ring.

Pimp C likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    You are a weird dude man. Like an ends justify the means to the max. Vacate belt? No problem. Duck any fighter in their prime? No problem. Failed drug test? No problem. Bribe judges? No problem.

You would run over your grandma to win a drag race.

OvidsExile and JacK Rauber like this.
  6. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Good job from Kovalev to win rounds. Epic job from little Canelo to KO Sergei freakin' Kovalev. What an absurdity if you heard that any time 7, 5, 3 years ago you'd look like a fool for suggesting. An absolute fool.

MrFoFody and Pimp C like this.
  7. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012

Way to hedge your bets. You're spineless.

MrFoFody and Nonito Smoak like this.
  8. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Yeah, he's good, and he's good at winning, under the right circumstances. Doesn't mean I have to like him, and doesn't mean he is the actual best pound for pound fighter in the world, especially as there are:

• far more skilled boxers
    • far harder p4p hitters
    • far tougher fighters

in the game. What they don't have is his silver-spoon backing and the confidence of knowing that as long as he doesn't get KTFO himself (which, yes, I'll admit his chin has turned out to be a good deal better than many of us ever projected back when Jose Cotto was putting him on Queer Street) the judges will make up the difference and ensure that he wins even in those circumstances where he isn't good enough to in his own right. He's still the guy that didn't win a single clear round against Mayweather but was gifted a draw scorecard. He's still the guy that clumsily plodded after Lara missing horribly all night, going entire rounds at best grazing with messy body shots. He's still the guy that was run close by Trout, and Cotto, while in his prime.

There are flaws in his overall makeup. There are rational, legitimate reasons to consistently pick against him (at least when he's facing world class opponents like Jacobs, Kovalev, or GGG - not riffraff like Fielding, obviously) because those are flaws that are readily available for those opponents to exploit. Just because nobody has done so enough to either outclass, beat up, or stop him (at least not since PBF) doesn't mean he's some ATG who's great at everything. He isn't. He's a good fighter, with good power (that carries up through several weight divisions), a good chin, decent hand speed in combination, occasionally good punch selection and accuracy (depending on the stylistic match-up he's in with), and stamina that has over the years improved from "poor" to "pretty good". That's it. Not exactly the toolkit of somebody that's going to ever make future generations say "Sugar who?". He's a good fighter...with a great team behind him (including matchmakers, and whoever pays off the judges).

9. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I had it 6-4 Kovalev after 10 but it could be argued 5-5 or 6-4 Canelo, those are reasonable scores as well. Most of Kovalev's jabs were blocked as Canelo had that high guard up picking off shots all night.

MrFoFody and Pimp C like this.
  10. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot etreuM aL Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Only one person kod Jacobs

MrFoFody, pacas and Accurate like this.
  11. elbonzoseco

elbonzoseco Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    as Kova said, he was just tired. He tried to conserve energie from the get go, but it was just too quick of a turnaround after Yarde. He never should have been forced to take this fight so early. This is how you navigate a dangerous fight into a calculated risk. Well done team Canelo, I wonder who will be the next post 35yo stepping stone to greatness.

JacK Rauber likes this.
  12. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    And countless others dropped him and rocked him. Neither feats Canelo could accomplish.

13. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Well, if I were CST, I would say that IF I did it was because she was in the way. But I won't. But if I did, that's why. So I'm correct either way.

And sorry friend, but the judges were not needed tonight.

14. Ph33rknot

Mar 5, 2012
    He literally said his coach told him to
    And I was talking about the commentator

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Nonito Smoak likes this.
  15. Ph33rknot

Mar 5, 2012
    Even G couldn't

MrFoFody likes this.