Sergey Alexandrovich Kovalev vs. Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Sep 15, 2019.

The Krusher or Cinnamon Boy?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2019.
  1. Kovalev on points

14.7%
  2. Kovalev by stoppage

41.2%
  3. Draw

2.9%
  4. Álvarez on points

25.5%
  5. Álvarez by stoppagae

15.7%
  1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Once again, left to me to be the only person on here capable of scrounging together a brain cell and putting up a properly formulated poll thread (five option single-choice publicly-visible format w/ an end date either before or preferably on fight night). :shakehead:

WBO light heavyweight title on the line, 2nd defense of Kovalev (in his third reign). This is the incumbent's sixteenth lifetime battle for this belt; he is 12-3 so far having only ever lost to Andre "Son of God" Ward twice over and Eleider "Storm" Álvarez once before avenging the latter in a rematch. The challenger is making his debut at 175 pounds, and has only twice before campaigned north of middleweight (shutting out Julio César Chávez "Junior" Carrasco at their 164lb catchweight in 2017, and knocking out Michael "Rocky" Fielding to claim the WBA super middleweight title last December).

Tale of the tape:
    Kovalev
    Height: 183cm
    Reach: 184cm

Álvarez
    Height: 173cm
    Reach: 179cm

Ph33rknot and George Crowcroft like this.
  2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Krusher - even the 65% version of him still kicking around these days - is no Rocky goddamn Fielding. :nono:

3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    What are the rehydration clauses?

4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    If there's some BS catchweight of like 170lbs or something, of course that changes things, but of course that means that under no circumstances ought the WBO sanction it as being for the LHW title.

But of course, el dinero habla, so.. :nusenuse: :ohno

5. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I think this predicting this fight largely comes down to whether you're an optimist or a pessimist as far as boxing is concerned. I'm a pessimist in this regard. Clenelos handlers wouldn't have taken the fight if they didn't think Kovalev was done and/or have some dirty tricks up their sleeves. This is Vegas boxing involving the biggest cashcow in the sport whos no stranger to controversy and corruption. Just seems like another well calculated move in the heavily coordinated career of Saul Alvarez. Of course it could all blow up in their face but I don't think it will unfortunately.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  6. SquaredCircle

SquaredCircle Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I really think Canelo is ascending one division too many. Kovalev isn't yet in the Martinez of the Cotto fight territory and still has enough to control the distance behind his jab and keep Canelo a bit tentative trying to get inside of his wheelhouse because of the threat of his power. While neither is anywhere near the level of these guys, I keep thinking of Monzon-Napoles when I try to picture how this one is going to play out.

roughdiamond, OvidsExile and kirk like this.
  7. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
  8. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    People who are thinking Clencheato Pedvarez will have an easy night of work ahead fighting an elite 175 pounder are just so stupid. Of course there are some side factors which might change the whole story like rehydration clauses or some other stuff like catchweight BS but if those two guys fighting in a fair fight with no BS clause i would pick Kovalev all night long and i will bet a shitload of money that he will win at current odds. Canelo has absolutely ZERO power at 175 compared to the elite guys. Yarde or Alvarez are hitting MUCH harder and are MUCH bigger guys. It's not like Canelo is a KO machine at 160. He isn't. Prime Kovalev is a killer at 175, literally, seriously. He would destroy Alvarez within 6. Of course Kovalev isn't prime anymore. But he looked great in his last two fights. If he is really serious about the fight, not coming for a big payday and goes for a W, he will get it.

I'm picking Kovalev here. No chance for Canelo. And i'm picking Kovalev by stoppage.

9. lordlosh

lordlosh Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
    This should be in the poll:
    Via robbery(Canelo ofc)

BCS8 and OvidsExile like this.
  10. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Included implicitly in Álvarez on points as a possible (perhaps probable) iteration of that, should it come to that.

11. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    If no rehydration clause, Kov by KO.

POTUS and BCS8 like this.
  12. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Kovalev by stoppage, if it goes the distance Alvarez wins.

13. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Canelo should easily win on points, not too fussed about this fight. Kovalev should retire on this one, the light heavy division is Beterbiev and Gvozdyk (Kovalev has no hope against them, or Bivol).

14. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    No weight gimmicks....

Kovalev UD in reality, probably SD on the cards.

If theres weight BS and hes drained or whatever...

Canelo UD.

POTUS and BCS8 like this.
  15. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    One man has beaten Kovalev on points, Ward, and that was insanely controversial. And getting that controversial UD WAS NOT easy for him, and Ward is maybe the best boxer of this generation. Now explain to me how it's going to be "easy" for a guy who couldn't (actually) beat the smaller GGG in either fight easily, will easily beat Kovalev on points?