Sergey Kovalev failed to drop Eleider Alvarez in 19 rounds? Evidence Kovalev has suspect power?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Feb 19, 2019.

Did Eleider Alvarez expose Kovalev's power of being suspect?

1. Yes, Kovalev's power has been proven to be suspect at the elite / highest level

9.8%
  2. No

90.2%
  1. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Nope, simply evidence that YDKSAB or at the very least, can't process the sport as adequately as you should, and your harebrained theories are growing tiresome.

lewis gassed and Liquorice like this.
  2. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    one of the best videos of all times.

CST80, Liquorice and Serge like this.
  3. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    It's Krushertastic!

CST80, lepinthehood and HerolGee like this.
  4. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    You are doing one of two things:

1. asking a silly question that anyone with a bit of knowledge ob boxing and some common sense, should know better to ask. HAving power does not mean you KO or drop everyone every time. Or,
    2. you are a troll.....

CST80 likes this.
  5. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    This.

He was gun shy for a reason in the rematch.

kriszhao, CST80 and Serge like this.
  6. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Well Kovelev dropped Ward so that confirms the SOB has pure glass packed in that chin of is.

7. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Cleverly's report is definitely some of the best evidence because he was considered to have a good chin, took big shots from Bellew even at cruiser and a lot of punishment against the Pole and Jack, all without going down. And he didn't just say Kov hit hard, he emphasised it was stunning power he hadn't felt before.

Another important report was from Pascal, who was actually telling Roach during the fight that the power was overwhelming him ... and also that it was racist how Kovalev was punching him so hard.

kriszhao, CST80 and Serge like this.
  8. DanielDimov

DanielDimov Jabbing all night Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Two fights cannot sum up a whole career...

9. Serge

Jul 21, 2009

Yep. Alvarez is a tough guy and I'm positive many of the big shots that did get through would've taken many other fighters out of there but he clearly had a great deal of respect for Kovalev's power and rightly so because when someone wields that kind of power no one's chin is immune to getting cracked if they get caught right or with the right sequence of shots at the right time. Same applies with Adonis and Beterbiev's power.

Pascal has a cast-iron chin
    Cleverly is iron-chinned as well
    Ditto for B-Hop
    Chilemba has a really sturdy set of whiskers too
    Lionell Thompson has never been stopped other than by Kovalev
    Ward has never been stopped
    Alvarez has never been down as a pro AFAIA

All of them with the exception of Alvarez were either stopped, badly hurt, dropped or all 3.

Nobody blasted Shabranskyy out like this. Sullivan Barrera and Yunieski can both crack and even they couldn't. Barrera obviously stopped him too but it took a lot of clean big shots to get the job done.

This content is protected

kriszhao, Sphillips and velagod like this.
  10. velagod

velagod Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Yeah look at pascals last fight went distance with bivol who has good and kov stopped pascal twice.

Also cleverly went the distance twice with bellew one of them being at cruiserweight look what kov did to him.

Serge likes this.
  11. thegoose86

thegoose86 Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Alvarez spent the entire punch circling away from Kovalevs power trying to land a right. Where Kovalev tried to box. Kovalev also wasn't putting mustard on his shots in order to go 12. Kovalev adjusted it wasn't a perfect fight and the fight felt like a missed opportunity from Alvarez who 100% did not leave it all in the ring.

pistal47 and 3rdegree like this.
  12. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Yep. I'm pretty sure Kovalev is the only fighter to have dropped Cleverly. I know he's definitely the only one to have dropped Pascal who is stupid tough and that he's the only fighter to have dropped Chilemba at 175. Lionell Thompson has only been dropped by one other fighter, a natural CW and that was a bit of a flash KD IIRC.

I knew Kovalev was the real deal as soon as I saw his fight against Thompson, and specifically when I saw him throw this punch. That's a beautiful shot and the power he generated with it was scary.

Timestamped

This content is protected

kriszhao and velagod like this.
  13. thegoose86

thegoose86 Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Pascal wasn't hurt once vs Bivol, Bivol won 9 or 10 rounds. Pascal actually hurt Bivol and didn't even tire... if pascal from 6 years ago had the energy of pascal of now he probably would have beat Hopkins. How many times did Kovalev hit Alvarez with a big power shot it seemed lots were as Alvarez was moving or circling away from the power. Kovalev also would throw a 1,2,1 combo a lot and the Straight left didn't look like it was meant to be a ko shot. I think Kovalev scarficed power in that match to go 12. This is why I made a thread saying Kovalev by decision. and everyone called me insane. If kovalev could go 12 he'd win 100% and that's what he did. Win today look good tomorrow. With the context he looked good anyway. erase what happened in the first alvarez fight.. Kov vs alvarez 2 was a snoozer but classic buddy.

Did Gatti also lose power when changing his style?

velagod likes this.
  14. velagod

velagod Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Yeah that’s a ****ing lovely sneaky punch didn’t telegraph it also incredible timed plus a short punch still to have power like that is always great to see.

Serge likes this.
  15. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    One of the best HLs ever! I remember posting it back in the day when it was first made ;)

Its been a blast following his career.

I've never seen SK as simply a 'KO artist' anyway.. He's always been a brilliant boxer, but who's psyche tends to lean more to the seek & destroy style! But as he's shown us, when he's focused, comfortable with the team around him & using his Ring IQ he's an elite boxer too...

Power wise he's just naturally heavy handed, the guy hurts u with a jab! He never even really sits down on his shots or winds them up either.. . Ward, Bhop, Pascal, Chilemba he put em all on the deck.. His power isn't open for debate IMO & nor should his ability & mental strength be now after what happened a couple of week ago..

Margins always narrow when u step up anyway.

Consider this, Froch (who I rate both as a fighter & a puncher) couldn't drop either Ward or Pascal.. Kova rocked em with a jab!

Serge likes this.