Sergey Kovalev vs Jack Dempsey.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Reason123, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    I don't think Kovalev gives him a better fight than Tunney, Carpentier, Gibbons, Firpo, Brennan, and Miske did.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    |Some of us [me] had reservations before the fight, no inside game ,all long punches, chin up in the air,best win over a 50 year old etc.

Still a fine fighter, but maybe the talk of him being an ATG will die off a bit now?
    I was taken to task awhile ago when a thread was made pitting him with the great lhvy's and I asked what he had done to be included in their company?
    He who laughs last------

3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Maybe he doesn't give him a better fight than Fulton did!

louis54 likes this.
  4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    No the difference is in talent.

5. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Was it announced that Kovalev was 188 ?

6. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    I would envision that the best Dempsey ends this bout within 3 minutes.

louis54 likes this.
  7. blackhercules

blackhercules Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Amazing when these clueless idiots will say Dempsey would win because he is bigger and stronger. Yep so big and so strong that he lost to Gene Tunney a guy who was a light heavyweight like Kovalev. Sergey is a much bigger puncher than Tunney and would smash Dempsey with little problem.

Dempsey was stopped in one round by Fireman Jim Flynn. He struggled like hell against Willie Meehan. Losing to him once and drawing with him 2 other times.

Have you people actually watched old boxing footage back in the day? These guys were unskilled. They were below current amateur boxing. A bunch of guys swinging wildly like they are in a drunken bar fight.

It cracks me up when you people keep having fantasy fights with unskilled joke fighters from back in the day and try to compare them to fighters years later. I don't mean just current fighters. I mean fighters from the last 40 or so odd years are just way more skilled.

Bumnard_Hopkins likes this.
  8. kolchak65

kolchak65 New Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2014
  9. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Black.....Dempsey was one of the most highly skilled hwts ever to live. Inside game second to none. If Wards taps to the body bothered Kov he would have been broken in half by Dempsey.

10. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Go back to the General Forum where your lack of boxing knowledge will be more appreciated. Or possibly this is just an alt and you are trolling. Either way, **** off.

Jackomano and mcvey like this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    What did you think of Meehan on the "old boxing footage " you've seen?lol

12. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Probably lean towards Dempsey under old school rules, as he'd be more comfortable with the smaller gloves and no-neutral-corner rule in the event of a knockdown. Physically they're quite well matched. Dempsey is the slightly bigger man, but not by any substantial margins.

I think Kovalev gives him a damn good fight though. Why wouldn't he?

13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Lol, this has aged well.

I think at this point everyone will have to admit, if he can't handle Andre Ward's roughness, to the point of getting stopped by him, he has no chance against Dempsey with an old school ref.
    This content is protected

roughdiamond likes this.
  14. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. I can’t believe he compared Kovalev to Tunney. I like Kovalev, but he’s a scrub compared to Tunney.

15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    At least Kova isn't afraid to fight black folk.