Serious thoughts on this Harry Greb shadow boxing video?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SambaKing7, Sep 5, 2018.

1. SambaKing7

SambaKing7 Member banned Full Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Yes, he looked god damn awful in that spar as well. Then there's a 10-15 second video of him just punching, and it's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Eubank Jnr sends this guy to the morgue.

Pat M likes this.
  2. SambaKing7

Aug 7, 2018
    Hahahah! Wow!

KO KIDD and Pat M like this.
  3. SambaKing7

Aug 7, 2018
    Is it the cool thing to do to sit in the corner of a smokey tavern, puffing on a cigar reading a Jack Blackburn biography whilst romanticising fighters from one hundred years ago?

Not only did Reznick say Greb's shadow boxing was akin to Lomachenko's *spits out cereal hahahah*, he also claimed this was Corbett throwing a five punch combo under a second:

[url]https://streamable.com/omju3[/url]

Reznick might be the King of cigar smoking historians. :cbiggrin::monoloco:

Pat M likes this.
  4. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Carnera looks like he has just been to the gym for the first time, if Carnera and Greb were winning in their era it tells me all I need to know about their era(s). I wonder if there were any good trainers in those days?

These videos just show that boxers like athletes in all sports have improved over the years. Boxing is the only sport that "fans" believe has gotten worse over time. Video proves otherwise, Greb, Carnera, etc. couldn't win 4 round fights today but they were champions of their era. Just like football and basketball players of their era couldn't compete today either. Boxing fans just don't want to admit what is obvious from the video.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    GOAT Primo Carnera likes this.
  5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I think the video shows Gerbs good balance and ability to circle around his man, throwing all types of punches, some of which were awkward. Gerb was described as amateurish, but very fast, with a never ending punch count, and a top chin.

He's going to out land you, and thanks to top durability stooping him was extremely difficult.

reznick and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Tunney said you had to fight Greb. Out boxing him wasn't easy because he was a moving target who didn't stop throwing punches. Greb IMO caught Tunney pre prime and Tunney sustained a busted nose in round one which never stopped bleeding. As Tunney matured he turned the tides. He also had Greb nearly out in the last fight of the series, and offered a 6th match, Greb refused!

I think a longer armed power puncher with skills would be the best style to beat Greb.

7. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    This content is protected

8. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    This content is protected

And yet this was from years earlier and these were just a couple hard fvckers, not technicians, fighting for over triple the duration modern boxers do.

It's almost like the footage is him training, not him trying to look good for the camera.

Like Mendoza said Greb didn't win from pure technical skill either, but incredible workrate.

9. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Sugar Ray Robinson?

10. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Greb was never about the sweet science, he was a wrecking machine that kept coming, literally named "the windmill". Of course his shadowboxing looks weak.

Although I'm impressed by the fact that it somehow looks worse than famously awkward fighters like Marciano's, though. Maybe part of it is bad video quality

11. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    why weak? Because it looks different than today? Obviously his style was a huge problem for his opp. … He did things which worked for him. A lot of movement, staying loose, calisthenics, and stretching for Greb.. Nothing weak about it

louis54 and robert ungurean like this.
  12. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If you read the rest of my comment, I was commenting on how Greb was a great fighter but just not good at the technical side. He was awkward but a machine of destruction, I know Greb was athletic, just awkward. That's why the shadowboxing looks awkward. Also I said it could be because of the bad footage

I don't think you'd see Ali dent the heavybag like Foreman would

I don't think you'd see Foreman run the distance Marciano would

Eevery fighter has a weakness that translates in their training

13. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    fair enough ...I just don't see the weakness which was my point.

louis54 likes this.
  14. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004

we're talking about shadow boxing? Shadow boxing. Really, not actual boxing, but shadow boxing.
    Shadow boxing.

I guess we're all agreed that if Greb fought a shadow he would lose.

But Eubank Jnr? Please. No one ever said Greb was graceful and/or incredibly skilled at superior
    boxing skills. He merely punched non stop until his opponent collapsed. And many of his fights were
    fought with ONE EYE damaged and sightless.

His resume speaks for itself. Fought and defeated many ATG's, both black and white, never ducked anyone.
    Beat up HW's outweighing by a couple dozen pounds. Fought 10-15 times a month for years all over the US.
    Etc Etc.

Ok, his shadow boxing skills were lacking. But we're talking shadow boxing right? Not an actual fight. Shadow boxing.

15. SambaKing7

Aug 7, 2018
    If i uploaded a video of me shadow boxing like that then you would quite rightly laugh me off the forum.

Awful.

cross_trainer and Pat M like this.