Serious thoughts on this Harry Greb shadow boxing video?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SambaKing7, Sep 5, 2018.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Most world-class fighters aren't nearly as bad with their elbows as Greb is in that video though, right? Maybe Wilder at his most reckless.

cross_trainer and Pat M like this.
  2. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    What do you understand the purpose of shadowboxing to be?

Pat M likes this.
  3. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    cross_trainer, Pat M and SambaKing7 like this.
  4. thistle1

thistle1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 30, 2006
    remember what Old Burt Beinstock used to say, when referring to old film... "believe me, People used to Walk the same, Run & Work the same, S hi t the same and _ uck the same, they also used to Fight the same, just like we do today."

No matter how many times I say this, so many people don't have the automatic understanding that Old Footage doesn't offer the accurate 'movement' of so many elements of life, especially in Sport...

the Film (CAMERA), by default didn't/couldn't catch all the fast or subtle movement owing to camera speed, exposure, and in many cases the Operator, the camera man. that's why you see a lot of Clinching in old film and not so much action. there is also time deterioration too.

the other way to Prove this IS the old footage that Got It Right... there is an Australian site that has loads of Footage from the 1930s and 40s DONE RIGHT and the fighters look as great and normal as you would expect, so when they got it right you know they were just fine.

but there is still One Major Difference... these men done it Damn Near every FEW Weeks or MORE.

Film footage is S hit e, NOT the Fighters.

5. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004

I could not agree more. Basing an opinion on a boxer like Greb, who has an amazing record for everyone to see, on a 5 second clip, is beyond crazy.

hdog likes this.
  6. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    But that's the thing--people play sports very, very differently today than they did 100 years ago.

What are you saying exactly? The things that Greb is doing "wrong" here--the flaring of elbows, crossing of legs, bending from the waist, and leading with the head, etc.--are really just figments of our imagination due to poor film quality?

cross_trainer and Pat M like this.
  7. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    For the record, how would you coach one of your young pros to fight against someone who boxes like Greb does in this footage? Let's assume that Greb is faster than your guys and has insane stamina and workmate.

cross_trainer likes this.
  8. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    In that clip, maybe Greb is seeing an opponent that is behind his left shoulder and he is exaggerating throwing the right over the shoulder. Who knows it's a very short clip.

Earlier today, I recalled my friend telling me that Mike Garcia telegraphs his right hand by lifting the elbow. I watched a six minute clip of highlights and he did it on every right hand he threw.

If I walked into a gym and saw that, I would watch how he did everything else, and wait to watch him sparring and see how he fights. If he did well, and if he was winning fights, I would study him until I saw what he did that made him effective.

If I walked into a gym and was told that the guy is 158-8, I would watch that guy as close as possible and get him to talk to me about what he sees and thinks about and why he does what he does. My take on Greb, after reading a lot about him, is that in fighting he did a lot of things his way and it worked for him, but wouldn't work for somebody else or even make sense to them.

9. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Excellent post!! Right on the money .. Being saying this for a very long time and gettin' heat for it .. That's what some posters just do not get.. Some here just can't think outside the box

greynotsoold likes this.
  10. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    If he is faster, has insane stamina and work rate he might be a problem even if he lacks boxing skills. Especially if he is hard to hurt. But my guys are new and would only going to be going 4 rounds. I'd have my guy establish his jab first so that Greb couldn't just get close and throw those arm punches and maybe sway a judge or two. I'd have to see more to be sure, but Greb doesn't look like he shifts his weight and his punches seem to be mostly arm punches. Unless I saw something else early in the fight, it doesn't look like he has much power.

Then I'd have my fighter pay attention to when Greb crosses his feet. A quick right hand or a hook behind the jab...it wouldn't take a big punch to get a quick knockdown while he is off balance (with his feet crossed) and a two point round is big in a 4 round fight. Then, if he is aggressive and leans in at the waist as he does when shadow boxing, I'd have my guy take a half step back and uppercut him on the way in. Those would just be quick suggestions from watching 30 seconds of video of a fighter who crosses his feet and bends at the waist.

And there is the right elbow that he raises before he throws the right hand. I'd tell my fighter that if he hits you with that, you deserve to get hit. When he raises the elbow, move to your left and hit him with a hook to the head or the body, then hit him with another hook or pivot and throw the right hand, if he looks hurt continue, if not, jab your way out.

Then, if he looked as inept fighting as he did while shadow boxing and he beat my fighter I'd take Graynotsoold's advice and study him to find out how a guy who is so off balance and who does so many things that shouldn't work could win a fight.

11. SHADAPBLAD

SHADAPBLAD Viscous Knockouts Full Member

Feb 15, 2017
    My goodness. How will reznick and co. recover from this verbal massacre. Just delete your accounts, its over. Pack it up gents, its time to take goofy tryhards like Greb and Langford off the p4p roster and replace them with our specially tailored and chemically enhanced fight-once-a-year warriors a la Canelo and Fluid Jr. Look at the tight compact combos that Canelo can throw all day in front of a heavybag. It allows him to absolutely demolish, I mean liquify the liver and punch the head off of 36 year old slower than molasses no defense bums. This is after 30 hard rounds. Look at Floyd destroying pads with ease. He must be mauling these cherrypicked bums to death. Oh wait.

cross_trainer and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    If you dismiss Greb via this clip, you are not merely dismissing the clip but an entire generation of fighters across 3 divisions and on both sides of the color line. That's pretty bold.

13. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
  14. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Do you know that site ?

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't see how you can draw any meaningful conclusions one way or another from this clip.