Shakur Stevenson one of the most boring fighters to watch.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Mike1978, Jun 12, 2021.

1. rhin0z>

rhin0z> Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 13, 2014
    He changed his name to No Mas Loma.

2. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    He has some pop in his shots but isn't a big puncher either, but he isn't exactly exciting either. Sure technically brilliant and great to watch if you're a purist but I wouldn't put him in the bracket of say an Inoue or Joshua in terms of excitement.

He like Stevenson also is often too good and too dominant over his opponents so his fights can just be an inevitable victory and so lack drama. But his fight with Lopez was exciting, because well he had a genuine rival that could put it too him.

MURK20 likes this.
  3. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    So how is he able to KO boxers that are naturally a lot bigger than him and shakur could not ?

It's not just about punching power, it's about accuracy and timing, angles and intensity.

MagicE and Oddone like this.
  4. Brighton bomber

Apr 4, 2005
    You're right, raw power alone is only part of the equation when it comes to power. Most guys lack real natural KO power, but can improve their power through setting up there power shots better usually in the form of a counter. So while Loma lacks real KO power he sets opponents up to get caught by his best shots to maximise their impact.

Intent is also a requirement. Loma is naturally more aggressive than say Shakur. Shakur has clearly tried to be more aggressive in some fights and walk guys down but he was more in a mood to counter last night.

MarkusFlorez99 and PIPO23 like this.
  5. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Nah he id actually quite dope, although I did fall asleep through a couple of Rounds. Had more to do with my dinner plus wine & muscle relaxers.

he is a super talented dude.
    Just needs to step on the gas a little more. He could be Crawford esque.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  6. rhin0z>

rhin0z> Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Loma is not a one punch fight changer kind of guy. He does have pop but its more of a accumilation of punches that gets a guy out of there.

7. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    He's a defenseive minded fighter. He's never going to be in a fight of the year. Many people on this site talk up Vlad Klit and he was an extremely boring fighter. Calzaghe is a legend on here, had no power. Grant it, he was pretty exciting, but lacked power due to hand issues. My point is, Stevenson is still young and he will probably tweek his style over the next few years. Guys destroying him because he lacks a killer instinct? Let's not forget, he hasn't fought in a while, the guy he fought never been dropped and could bang. So he was too cautious, no need to crucify the man.

Brighton bomber likes this.
  8. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    The youtubers vs tiktokers fight was much more enjoyable, they got heart and tried to fight. I turned SHakur off at 3 rounds. Boring ass. He will never be a star with that style

Perkin Warbeck likes this.
  9. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Then it's time to stop comparing him to Floyd or Lomachenko difference in levels to this.

Like you said power. 130 Loma and Floyd hit hard enough to get you out of there. They have a mean streak this kid don't.

Floyd and Loma have the entertaining factor that's why people pay to watch them squab and pay top dollars they can buy roll royce or jag and mansion on the hills this kid don't have that either.

10. granth

granth Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    You lose all credibility when you bring Calzaghe in to the conversation. Totally different style of fighter. You even say he was exciting to watch. He also dropped the granite chinned Eubank so not sure why you thing he has no power.

ShovelHook and CST80 like this.
  11. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    At least Haney takes a few more risks than Stevenson

ShovelHook and uranage like this.
  12. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    He's always going to be a featherfist and he's always going to be boring. Because that's his temperament. That is something he will not and is probably incapable of changing. Calzaghe fights nothing like Stevenson, also he was no featherfist, but he was also one of the most versatile fighters in the sport and always wanted to put on a show, because he was a wildly charismatic showman. Something else Shakur is incapable of being. He has the personality of a petulant bratty high school girl. He literally has nothing going for him other than, he's ultra defensive and doesn't get hit that often. Also known as the style fans hate the most.

13. Brighton bomber

Apr 4, 2005
    I'm not comparing him to Mayweather of Loma though, others might be but that's always what people do, next gen gets compared to the former and those making the comparison might not even be talking about their appeal or ability to draw fans more his potential to be a top P4P fighter.

Very few fighters ever get the recognition Mayweather got. Loma though isn't even that big a star, he's a star to hardcore fans but your average person won't know who Loma is. Not sure why you'd even mention Mayweather or Loma as they are not even in the same bracket. Has Loma even done a PPV?

Currently Shakur seems to be more Crawford or Spence level appeal than some future PPV star like Mayweather. He could be as big as Loma but that's not exactly a high bench mark when he's only making a few million per fight. But you never know there was a time when Floyd wasn't a big deal even after taking apart Corrales. He needed the Oscar fight and the rivalry with Pac to make him a huge star. Same with Hopkins ignored during his prime then along comes Tito and he's then selling PPV's.

MarkusFlorez99, MURK20 and deadACE like this.
  14. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    No appeal or appealing qualities. Seriously going to compare him to Spence and Crawford when the kid has done nothing of note is bogus.

Let's get down to it. I have seen all i need to know. He going to stink out arenas with his boring style, counter and pot shotting his way to pts decisions wins and not get hit in the process.

When he does get hit he runs around the ring. He will get exposed when he fights the real deal in the division. Put him against someone that can fight you will see another Haney the email champion.

That's who I believe is his rightful comparison at this stage of their careers.Not loma, not Floyd, not Spence or even Crawford. Haney that's who he should compared with unproven prospect at the elite level.

15. Brighton bomber

Apr 4, 2005
    Lol you seem to really dislike him. Which to be fair is understandable, personally while I admire his skill in the ring and think he will be a future P4P top fighter, I find it hard to like a guy that will get into street fights with women. But he's young and maybe he'll mature and stop dong stupid chit.

I wasn't comparing resumes with Spence or Crawford, he's only had what 16 fights now? I was saying in terms of ability to draw. Spence and Crawford do decent numbers but neither are big stars. I think I was pretty clear on that but you seem to be wanting to jump on anything negative.

Maybe he will stink out arena's as I said he doesn't have an exciting style, maybe he'll be another Rigo or Ward, but while they bored many fans he was still a top fighter. Being entertaining doesn't make you good, it might make you a star and loads of money but it doesn't mean you're going to be a great just from being entertaining. Ward was boring to many and a nightmare to promote but that didn't stop him winning.

So while I may agree that Shakur may be a boring fighter for non purists, I disagree and think he will go onto to be a top P4P fighter. I guess time will tell.