Shavers vs Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Brixton Bomber, Dec 12, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    For this fight, Shavers would do well to learn to work that uppercut. Still favor Frazier.

2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    He had an uppercut. Its how he kod Ellis.

3. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Frazier easy. Can't understand this affection for Shavers, why not Lyle? So much better.

RulesMakeItInteresting and JC40 like this.
  4. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well for Frazier, he'd need to practice it more.

5. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    He would probably only need to land it once honestly.

Shavers doesn't necessarily need to have frazier down for the full 10 count to stop him. Look, i favor Frazier and im quick to defend him from idiots who claim he had a fragile chin, but nobody just shrugs off a flush shavers uppercut, especially a short guy coming forward aggressively on the inside whose known for being vulnerable to that particular punch.

If shavers drops him twice within the same round, most refs will stop it. When a fighter has that kind of reputation for punching power they tend to not wait around and give 2nd and 3rd chances. Even if frazier was battering shavers and outclassing him for the previous 6 rounds, such a scenario would spell disaster.

Frazier being a class above shavers, having superior stamina and a better overall fighter won't matter if he doesn't make it to the later rounds for those factors to become relevant. At his best, you should obviously favor frazier 6:4 but its naive wishful thinking to assume this would be a breeze. Very, very dangerous opponent and matchup.

6. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Definitely had nothing to do with Frazier's decline after FOTC

7. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Shavers always dangerous but Frazier sould break earnie down- This fight is the one Frazier should look to end as soon as he can- usually a slow starter Frazier has to do a lot of bobbing, weaving and left hooking-Frazier up till FOTC is victorious - after that it gets harder

8. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    It mostly had to do with the wrecking balls in Foreman's gloves.

9. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    If you say so. You and I both know Foreman was no speedster and Frazier (a prime Frazier that is) was not there to be hit.

10. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'll go along with that...5 sounds good.

11. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Everyone hit Joe. Ellis, Quarry, Ramos, Bonavena. Frazier was coming forward all time time. He had no reverse gear. Unless he tags Shavers first he is gonna be in dangerous territory.

12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Frazier favored due to skills, but Shavers has the stylistic advantage.
    Shavers, for all his limitations, was a World Class fighter in a Golden Era.
    He had some ability, but this is mainly due to his unreal punching power.
    I will add that his long arms & huge hands, added to the technique & intensity seemed to give him the best of both worlds-big snap & Heavy Hands.

That Monster shot he hit Holmes with...My theory is that Larry died upon impact, but like a behemoth stepping upen a cattle scale, the numbers kept going around until he struck the canvas. Then he somehow got stuck on "alive mode".
    ;-)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    red cobra and Brixton Bomber like this.
  14. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Norton as well iirc

15. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    My theory is that the shot Shavers hit Holmes with in round 7 was a harder shot...a better punch...than the one that Earnie tagged Ali with in the 2nd round of their match. Shavers hit Holmes with that monster shot "whilst" advancing with more momentum...in the heat of the action, if you will...moreso than that right that right that he landed on Ali. Holmes. Holmes gets dumped on a lot for going down from that shot, whereas Ali didn't go down from the right that he was tagged with. The reason ls probably because the Shavers.Holmes right was more devastating...landed, as I said, with more momentum. Realy amazing that Holmes was able to rise from it, regroup, recoop, and carry on to batter and defeat ES like he did.