Shin Splints?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Wass1985, May 17, 2018.

1. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Has anyone on here ever had the problem and be cured of the painful ailment? Got mine last year after doing some sprints, they got that bad i couldn't even do any boxing training.

I just started jogging again after a year out and the agony has started again, legs are in bits after running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I've had it before, it took me ages to relieve the issue (over a year!)

Main issue for me was trainers, once I changed trainers it was fine for the most part, I had to rest for a long time also.

Make sure you build up running slowly and dont over-do it ro begin with when recovering from shin splints.

Make sure you warm down after every session, specifically leg stretching exercises.

Put a ice compress/pack on for 10 minutes or so, several times.

Take anti-inflammatories also if needed, will offer some relieve and help tackle any inflammation.

I think the first thing to do is look at your footwear. Have you tried changing your running/workout trainers yet?

Devon Dog likes this.
  3. TheOld1-2

TheOld1-2 Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Yes I have, and the following exercise and stretching helped me overcome shin splints.
    @0:19 of the video is what I did, except I sat with one side of my body on the bench lengthwise and my ankle joint and foot were the only part of my body hanging over. After X amount of repetitions, I would alternate to my other side.
    This content is protected

Devon Dog likes this.
  4. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Yes i have had problems over the decades and this is no joke I actually broke my leg in the end seriously ! The bone had become so week

There is no example on the net that I use but basically I do 30 steps on tip toes then 30 steps on my heels then 30 lots of getting up on my toes (tip toe) and I do this twice after every run
    This strengthens the muscles on the front of the shin I also do calf stretches after every run more than any other stretches

Shoes are very important I run in Saucony omni at the moment the Omni 15 Your shoe need to be replaced every 500 miles so your road work needs to be logged in your training log

My running is around 35 miles a week now and I run five days a week

I am always very keen to learn as much as I can on this subject

5. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I got shin splints so bad I couldn't even walk up stairs without having to drag my body up them by using my arms and the railing.

Honestly, I think I took a day or two rest, rubbed them in icey hot, then kept jogging.

Now I've never had another issue with shin splints since. I've heard concurring stories of this as well.

6. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    You should get a bungalow !