Shohjahon Ergashev: Descendant Of Tamerlane-Unhinged Uzbek War Machine Of The Fergana Valley

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Mar 2, 2018.

1. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Shohjahon Ergashev born 12-12-1991 is a 5'10½ Light Welterweight with a 11-0 11 KO's record. Born in Fergana, Uzbekistan, fighting out of Brooklyn, New York, USA. Anyone who declares as their moniker The Descendant Of Tamerlane, the legendary Turco-Mongol leader of Transoxiana, present day Uzbekistan, is either a complete and total raving megalomaniac, or maybe he just has a good sense of humor. But judging by his antics in and outside the ring, I'm leaning towards the former, he's a southpaw, who seems to fancy himself as not only the second coming of Tamerlane but of Lomachenko as well, when he gets into a groove he seems to have a tendency to showboat, which for some reason I don't nearly as charming as when Loma does it. As highly as he may think of himself, Shohjahon definitely is a cut above the rest, he cuts off the ring quite well, he works behind his jab, has good footwork, a punishing straight left and a nasty right hook, and his power seems to be quite legit. Its one thing to hurt guys who are multi loss journeyman brought in to lose, but when you can basically blast decent US prospect Sonny Frederickson out of the ring in 3 rounds, he needs to be paid attention to. Is it too soon to declare him as the next best thing, maybe, but so far he's ticking most o the boxes, only thing we need to see now is how good his chin really is, although he looks like a rugged tough guy who can take a punch. He's got all the makings of an all action entertaining fighter he's definitely one to keep an eye on. Can he be a player in the Bud free Light Welterweight division? So Check Out The Vicious, Brash, Mughal Battering Ram in Action.:ggg:ggg:ggg:ggg

Educate Yourselves
    Ergashev vs. Frederickson
    This content is protected

Ergashev vs. Rahmatullaev

Ergashev vs. Khuzeev

Ergashev vs. Hawthorne

Ergashev vs. Sempevo

2. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
  3. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    The Frederickson match fancam version.

lewis gassed and Serge like this.
  4. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Thanks. I can't insert any smilies because the stupid thing keeps freezing for me everytime I try to use it.

lewis gassed and CST80 like this.
  5. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    In this day and age, right or wrong – and maybe it’s wrong; maybe it’s presupposing. Maybe it’s profiling but I will give a harder, longer look at a prospect coming from Kazakhstan, Russia or Uzbekistan over one coming from the United States.

Sorry, sue me…

When I saw that Shohjahon Ergashev (9-0, 9 knockouts) had been added to the November 11 undercard of a Long Island show topped by Danny Jacobs versus Luis Arias, I delved more into his background because, you know, profiling.

A better class of fighters, sometimes in skill, and even more often in temperament and ambition, are coming from over there, as opposed to over here.

The 25-year-old will be fighting for the first time in the U.S. on November 11. He is promoted by Dmitriy Salita, who is co-promoting the card at the Nassau Coliseum, with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing. (By the way, Salita making the ascent to this level after only three years on the promotional side is a story unto itself.)

“I started boxing when I was 10 years old and had 250 fights, most wins by knockouts,” Ergashev told me, through an interpreter. “I was on the Uzbek national team for six years.”

And how and why did he pick up the gloves? “My father loves the sport and took me to the boxing gym.” Common story, right?

His parents and three sisters still live in Uzbekistan and are no doubt missing their boy like heck. Why did he come here anyway?

“I am the best fighter in my weight class (junior welterweight). I came to the U.S., the center of the boxing world, to show and prove that I am the best in the world,” he told me. “November 11th is the beginning of a new age in the junior welterweight division!”

Well, well, well. Pretty sharp talk for a 9-0 guy! But, he does have nine KOs, so maybe his bite will match the bark.

I asked what the biggest cultural differences are between Uzbekistan and the U.S. and what he likes most and least about America.

“I love the training here; it’s great,” said the hitter, who lives in Michigan. “The trainers are amazing. I get great sparring and atmosphere where I am training now, which is at the Kronk Gym in Detroit. So far, everything in America is great. I love it!”

See that, how upbeat he is? He comes here and it is an improvement in many ways, from where he came. Many Americans are here and feeling, too often, mired in a malaise. Wages don’t grow; there are no retirement savings. Home ownership is harder to get than 30 years ago…so their demeanor suffer. This kid, and others coming here, are proud and happy for having done so.

“My trainer in Uzbekistan is Rustam Majidov; here, it’s Javan “ Sugar” Hill and Rick Phillips. They are teaching me lots of great new things. My promoter is Salita Promotions; Dmitriy is doing a great job with me. He delivered everything he promised, invited me to train in the U.S., gave me great training atmosphere and opportunity to fight and progress my career. I want to fight the number one contender and world champions, only the best. I only want to fight the best! As for my style, I learned boxing in Uzbekistan, so it’s Russian school of boxing but I am a big puncher and I am learning new things from training in America to add to and improve my overall ability.”

Your strengths and weaknesses?

“My strength is I am a big puncher. I train hard and will do whatever is necessary to win. I don’t have any weaknesses!”

Whoah…OK.

See that, see why you may want to adjust your thinking, widen it out and see why so much talent is popping up here from over there? I need to see this kid live before I make up my mind but, at the very least, I’ve added Shohjahon Ergashev to my watch list.'

Some great black and white photos of him here

https://www.myartmyrules.com/viewsfromringside/shohjahonvsfredrickson

Known as an extreme power puncher in Russian boxing circles, 25-year-old Ergashev (6-0, 6 KOs) is considered one of the best current prospects coming out of Uzbekistan.

Ergashev now lives in Moscow and trains in Chelyabinsk, Russia, with Sergey Novikov, trainer of light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev in the amateurs. He is managed by well-known Russian based manager Oleg Bogdanov.

Southpaw Ergashev started boxing in 2003 and won the Uzbekistan Nationals four times, starting in 2005. He won 202 of his 216 amateur bouts, holds a victory over Uzbek Olympic Silver Medalist Shahram Gayasov and went undefeated the last three years of his amateur career, winning every fight by knockout against stiff competition.

Having never fought outside Russia as a professional, Ergashev says he’s eager to work with Salita, who can help him bring his talents to the Western world. “I can’t wait to fight for a world audience and show them what my punching power can do to my opponent,” said Ergashev.

Not one to waste time, Ergashev KO’d his last opponent in 16 seconds

“Shoh definitely has potential to be a champion,” said trainer Novikov. “I like his positive, serious attitude towards training and his mindset of destroying his opponents.”

“Shoh is the best prospect I have seen in a long time. He has the potential and power like fellow Kovalev and Golovkin,” said Bogdanov. “I am excited about the opportunity for him to sign with Salita Promotions and come to the US soon to take over the junior welterweight and welterweight divisions.”

6. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Historical fact.
    Per capita, Tamerlane was responsible for more deaths than any other leader in history

ShovelHook and CST80 like this.
  7. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Ergashev must think he's an uber badass then.:ggg I hope he doesn't start taking that moniker seriously.:lol:

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. Kevin Willis

Kevin Willis Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Guy looks like a real prospect thus far. His last opponect acted like a rcomplete punk and got punished. Ergashev is set to return April, 28th vs TBA!

CST80 likes this.
  9. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Ergashev is exciting but he's also very c ocky, he threw all power shots against Fredrickson :qmeparto:

George Crowcroft and CST80 like this.
  10. Serge

Jul 21, 2009

CST80 likes this.
  11. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    USTV will boycot him.....................

12. Amazing one

Amazing one Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Doesn't lack confidence, lets see how he progresses. He looked about two weights above Wang in that recent fight, but Wang was a competent amateur, and was competitive in spells against Baranchyk from what I remember. Certainly loves his left hand.

Interesting.

13. Serge

Jul 21, 2009

14. Serge

Jul 21, 2009

Somachenko likes this.
  15. CST80