Should Calzaghe be knighted?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Amsterdam, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Hamed and Hatton were given MBE titles. I feel Calzaghe has done much more than both, he should be given a KBE award.

Sir Joe Calzaghe.:good

2. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
    **** no. The local council have even refused to fund a statue for him in Newbridge.

No sportsman/woman should be given any honours until the end of their careers whereupon, we can fully judge what they have done in their respective sports.

Should boxers be allowed into the Hall of Fame before they have retired?

3. pecks

pecks ***** Full Member

Feb 26, 2005
    Sir Joe Calzaghe does have some kind of ring to it though. :think

4. PrideOfWales

Apr 20, 2006
    A few years down the line, yes.

I'd say Sir Enzo Calzaghe has a greater shout. Single handedly ran the boxing gym keeping some kids without much of an education off the streets and turning them into successful boxers. Was also the influence and mentor for Joe's whole career, musician and all round genious.

5. mike464

mike464 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    How's he done more than Hatton? I'm not saying he shouldn't be knighted but he hasn't done more than Hatton.

6. PrideOfWales

Apr 20, 2006
    I disagree with you about what he's done in boxing but I'll let that one slide for the moment. To be honoured, you need to represent your field well. Hatton has the impression of a lager lout getting pissed in between fights. Is that as good a role model? Sir Ricky Hatton can be found getting tanked up in his local with his mates and then later in the kebab shop.

Joe Calzaghe on the other hand is a consumate professional from a deprived area of the country who was bullied at a young age and subsequently gives talks in the local schools about it.

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I wouldnt have a problem with it after he retires but if he is knighted then I think Lennox Lewis should be as well.

8. skellington

skellington Bogbrush Full Member

Aug 3, 2007
    He should be made King.

9. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    I agree that Lennox should be Sir Lennox, fully.:good

10. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    Biggest win is a rough housing, cheating example over Tszyu, which certainly awards him P4P for that time despite being one of the dirtiest examples in recent years. Since then he has done nothing hardly, but I do give credit for unifying two of the 140 belts with Maussa.

Collazo beat him, but it was close so Hatton recieving the decision wasn't a 'big deal', although jumping up and having that close a fight with a B level is like Joe jumping up and nearly losing to someone like Woods, which wouldn't happen.

Then he beat Urango in a horrible fight, then beat a totally shopworn Castillo.

Credit for beating Thaxton, Riveira and Phillips also.

Not done more than Joe in my opinion, not at all. Hatton even ducked Witter and he's about to get thrashed in a cash out fight against Mayweather, to where he has no chance and won't even win a single round.:p

11. Doyley10

Doyley10 Active Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2007
    So what? It's not like Hatton does anything illegal and you could even argue that he is representative of the working man in Britain that has remained true to his roots. That said, since discovering that Calzaghe is actually English, I have no objection to him being Knighted:D

12. PrideOfWales

Apr 20, 2006
    :good

13. Danny

Danny Guest

Many a person had been knighted for achieving nowhere near what Joe has. In my view, it's a no-brainer, of course he should be knighted.

Plus, Calzaghe is a nice guy. If he were to receive a knighthood, he wouldn't think he was above anybody.

14. Words

Words Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Joe never beat anyone P4P top ten and never will. He will NEVER get a scalp as impressive as beating Kostya Tsyzu.

15. Doyley10

Doyley10 Active Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Born in Hammersmith. You knows it!