Should Dundee Have Walked Away From Ali When Pacheco Did?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I remember that situation, great post.

GoldenHulk likes this.
  2. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    first off, the guy that should have left was Pacheco. By the latest we are talking the Manila bout.
    hardly the same guy anytime after that & most could see the obvious deterioration. His hands alone were a huge problem---not even getting into the physical toll of absorbing punches.

So I think Angelo was perfect and the real guy to question was the doctor in his corner.

3. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Dundee was a well respected trainer and he was very good with Ali, but I watched a docu a few year ago of a young amateur that lifted the lid a bit on behind the scenes with Dundee. Everything was money with him, talked about his fighters a bit like they were just pieces of meat with "we could make a lot of money from this kid" and matching some fighters up that he shouldn't have. How true it all was I don't know, it was a Scottish retired amateur, im gonna look for the vid on youtube, but I got the feeling Dundee wasn't as decent as I first thought

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Pacheco did leave ,but before he went he mailed Ali ,Herbert Muhammad ,and Angelo Dundee, the results of Al's latest medical he did not get a reply from any of them.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxing/4987789/muhammad-alis-doctor-ferdie-pacheco-remorse/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/muhammad-alis-doctor-begged-him-8116534

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/muhammad-alis-doctor-begged-him-8116534

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...ndary-boxer-muhammad-ali-died-thursday-age-89

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    KidGalahad and GoldenHulk like this.
  5. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    If he cared that much he would've walked, that's what showing you care is, it hurts to be apart so you walk, no way do I believe he done it because he was worried he'd be exploited

mcvey and Gazelle Punch like this.
  6. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    This......And this $$$$$$$$$

mcvey likes this.
  7. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    Never heard of this off anyone else, but this caught my attention as it would make sense to me. Ali phoned up Foreman asking him to fight Norton as he "is afraid of you" to get him out the way. I definitely could see your opinion being true, Ali was a sly ol dog it seems

8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    To allow Ali in the ring with Holmes was criminal at that point, but to walk with him into the ring with Berbick was as shameful an act committed by any trainer in history. Getting paid to work the corner of a known brain damaged fighter.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Ali's licence had been pulled in NY several fights earlier.

Reinhardt likes this.
  10. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Also I don't think Ali felt too threatened by Jimmy Ellis. In The Greatest his 1977 biopic, when he hears that Jimmy Ellis won the WBA Tournament, he says something like, "Jimmy Ellis?, I've been whuppin on that boy for years." He probably thought Ellis could have Angelo Dundee, it isn't going to help him much.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Dundee was also Ellis' manager,that's why he seconded him,instead of Ali.

GoldenHulk likes this.
  12. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    Ah, so there is a reason behind it, he had too or he would've gone with his star pupil ??

13. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Ali was obviously shot when he started training for the Holmes fight.
    However by all accounts when he arrived in Vegas a few weeks before the fight he was doing 6 mile runs and engaging in unbroken work outs of 30 odd minutes.
    All things considered he was looking pretty sharp and his weight was down.
    However approaching fight time a few days before by all accounts he was lethargic and couldn’t run half a mile.
    It’s said he was being prescribed drugs who’s side effects meant he should have been nowhere a boxing ring.
    It sounds as though a few people can be considered guilty here.

Sting like a bean likes this.
  14. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    he also had those less than perfect observations from the Mayo clinic before that fight.

15. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    I wasn't aware of this, I stand corrected - I tend to view Dundee through rose-colored glasses, though fully aware that people are seldom just one thing ...