Should Errol Spence Jr's Recent Bizarre Blipped Out Lapses In Concentration, Be Of Greater Concern?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Jun 16, 2022.

1. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    We all wondered after the horrific accident that Spence was involved in, if there would be any lingering after effects once he got back in the ring. Thus far, since returning from it, he's fought twice, and while he won both matches with relative ease. Two incidents that happened during them, that his fans seem to be in denial of, really bothered me a great deal. While sure, I've never been the biggest fan of Spence, he's still a father and seems like a really good guy, so I do not want to see him hurt at all. But his fans and fans in general really should be paying far closer attention to the spells he had in both of those matches, where he he seemed to get his bell rung, by both Danny and Ugas, then froze up, seems to short circuit and forgets where he is, and wanders off, looking at the canvas. While I tried to shrug it off, and hoped nothing was wrong, the recent tragic passing of Simiso Buthelezi really bothered me, the images of him punching an opponent that wasn't there, were absolutely haunting. And immediately I thought of what happened with Spence, in two matches, back to back, after he in all likelihood, suffered some form of TBI, in his car accident. The similarities are very hard to ignore. I hope it's nothing, I hope it's just a coincidence, I hope nothing is wrong with him. But I'm also not naive, and seeing several people who've suffered TBI up close in my personal life. I can't help but think there's something wrong. Because, while the damage doesn't appear on an MRI, and while the person manages to pass most tests, their cognitive abilities and reaction time erode over time. So the idea that someone who gets punched in the head for a living, that suffered severe damage to his head in that accident, might be starting to show the after effects a year or two later, is not far fetched.

So, do you think that PBC should be more forthcoming about his test results? Should they be far more concerned for their fighter? Sure, he's been cleared, but as we all know, some doctors are far more lenient than others. Hell, Margarito and countless other boxers who show the negative side effects in their slowed response time and slurred speech, are allowed to continue fighting on. Jermain Taylor was allowed to continue boxing, even after suffering a minor brain bleed, which is utterly appalling. So let's be honest, promoters don't always have the best interest of their fighter in mind, they have the profit they can make off of said fighter, as their primary concern. So while I know, it's the dream match everyone wants to see, but the fact of the matter is, Terence Crawford hits a hell of a lot harder than Ugas and Garcia, and he's a hell of a lot more accurate, with a genuine sadistic streak. He's going to mercilessly punish Spence when they get in the ring together. So, in light of recent events, and what happened in those two matches, Should the testing be far more stringent and far more thorough before they allow this potential matchup against a very dangerous spiteful fighter, to take place?

Here's the episodes I was referring to, timestamped.

This content is protected

This content is protected

2. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    I don't think it's residual effects from the car accident. In both cases, Spence was buzzed right before and he tried to buy time by spitting out his mouthpiece.

pacas likes this.
  3. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    I'm not buying that, even remotely. That happens after a fighter gets dropped and needs to buy some time. Spence isn't an idiot, or a dumb fighter, and in both of those cases, the ref could've easily waved the matches off, because he turned his back on the action. That's a very dangerous position to put yourself in, both from the ref's perspective, and from the opponent's, who could've easily capitalized, and looped a punch around, and hit him in the jaw as he was walking away. Protect yourself at all times. He seemed to lose track of what he was doing and that he was even in a match. Those were moments of genuine confusion.

4. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I agree, my thoughts exactly, seeing simiso haunted me too :(

It's very strange, its more than spitting out his guard, he's completely switched off mid engagement and wandered off in a world of his own.

Hope not but it doesn't seem right to me either.

ShovelHook, dcb154 and CST80 like this.
  5. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Definitely, I've never seen anything like that happen, usually when someone gets hurt, they panic, grab onto an opponent or start running. They don't look away, zone out, and look like a deer in the headlights by way of a lost puppy dog. Yet this strange occurrence has happened to Spence in back to back matches. It actually shocks me that people aren't more bothered by it.

6. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    People want paying? sadly most people will overlook many things when it comes to "business"

exocet76 and CST80 like this.
  7. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    I thought initially it may have been a risky tactic but as it's happened a few times it is something of concern. I like Spence he seems like a decent fella. I just think if that happens against someone like Crawford then Bud has that instinct to go in and finish him.
    The other thing is this has only happened post crash which steers me away from it being done on purpose to buy a few seconds.
    Although this is a sport we love recent events show us that there's a fine balance with someone getting hurt and something far more serious happening. As Cally states above it's business at the end of the day and many people within that circle will wilfully ignore the telltale signs the best example being Ali.

ShovelHook, Bustajay and CST80 like this.
  8. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I think it's a bad natural reaction to getting hurt but am not convinced it is more deeply neurological than that. I appreciate the concern, tho.

KO KIDD, CST80 and JOKER like this.
  9. Themessiah

Themessiah El Jefe Full Member

Feb 1, 2021
    The same thing happened to David price against Povetkin

10. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    At least Spence is aware of the mouthpiece issue, and not denying or ignoring it. He was asked int he post fight interview about losing focus and getting smacked by Ugas and he laughed, admitting it was an amateur move and said it wouldn't happen again. He blamed it, both times, on an poorly fitting mouthpiece.

For sure he can't lose focus against Crawford, who wouldn't hesitate to bash Spence if his head was turned away looking for lost mouthpiece.

Fogger and Keleneki like this.
  11. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Interesting no doubt. Who knows? it could be effects from the car crash or it could be what he does naturally I don't know.

12. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    He's always been prone to lapses in concentration. It happened in the Porter fight too (and others), just falling asleep until a punch or two wakes him back up. I've wondered whether he does it to demoralize opponents.

These are worse, but at the same time I don't believe he was taking DSG or Ugas very seriously.

He got hurt by Ugas, but that's not the strangest thing to ever happen.

I'm undecided on this.

CST80 likes this.
  13. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Videos are unavailable over here but the spitting out the mouthpiece thing has happened three or it might even be four times now and at least one of these instances was pre crash

One of his opponents in the Olympics actually did the same thing when he fought him

'LONDON -- A few hours after the U.S. men's boxing team thought it was done at the Olympics, amateur boxing's governing body decided Errol Spence deserved to fight on.

AIBA overturned Spence's loss to Indian welterweight Krishan Vikas late Friday night, five hours after the defense-minded Vikas had apparently clutched and grabbed his way to a 13-11 victory.

After the American team protested the result, AIBA's competition jury reviewed the bout and ruled Vikas had committed nine holding fouls in the third round alone. He also intentionally spit out his mouthpiece in the second round, which should have resulted in at least four points of deductions'

14. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Yes I completely agree, Spence is one of my favorite fighters right now but I think it’s pretty obvious he’s having brain problems.

He smacked his head so hard on the concrete that he lost all his teeth. Then when he came back from the accident there’s been a dramatic speech change. It’s not hard to put 2 and 2 together. I’ve made a thread about the lapses of concentration and speech change before but everyone just shrugged It off.

I do want to see the Crawford fight but my biggest hope is that Spence comes out ok win or lose.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    ShovelHook, sasto, CST80 and 2 others like this.
  15. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    If only professional boxing looked down on illegal holding with as much rancor and disgust as the AIBA. Team Slick would vacate the sport en masse.

:D

ShovelHook, box33 and Serge like this.