Should I be doing more than 5 miles?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by tyden, May 28, 2013.

1. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    A little story, on the Track one Day with 6 Fighters, doing Pyramids 200 metres, then walk across, recovery x 10. Daley Thompson asked to join us. He was 10 metres behind the line, so I pointed out that where they were was where we started, He gave me a look, as to say Do you know who I am, with a Grin. Off they went, Daley Last and 15 metres behind them at the finnish. When they got Back Daley joined the line with them, I asked are you not starting back here again, He looked at Me and Replied Bollocks Ive got it, with a Grin. Mind the Fighters were all British Champions.

2. TERRYTIBBS

TERRYTIBBS Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 11, 2013
    ok can i have a better alternative then please?:good

3. TERRYTIBBS

Jun 11, 2013
    and i didnt mean that sarcastically

4. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    No problem, depending always on how fit you are. Have a steady warm up 800 metres. Have a Watch, then find a safe bit ground, Flat, about 100 metres. Then do, 10x 100 metres Sprints, after every sprint Check the Time it took. Then double the Time, thats your Rest. Then Go Again. If your Form suffers Take a longer rest, be sensible the 1st few times :D

5. TERRYTIBBS

Jun 11, 2013
    cheers mate willl give it a go sounds nasty though lol

6. det

det Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2005
    I've started to use a football pitch to run on. Sprint from the half way line to the goal line, then walk back again, then repeat upto 30 times on this method now. Gradually building it up, then im gona try from goal line to goal line. :good

7. GoatySimpson

GoatySimpson Active Member Full Member

May 13, 2009
    Sprint to lampposts - 3miles - sprint - walk - sprint walk. **** push ups are also very good but for god sake keep your trousers on!

8. Dangerous D

Dangerous D New Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2013
    So what's the verdict for best results speed training? Everyone is contradicting everyone else :/

9. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    It appears, according to Testing, the Verti Run is the way Forward. It does what it says Fitter, Faster, Stronger, end off :good.

10. Brand NOOBian

Brand NOOBian Member Full Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I used to be able to run 5 miles nonstop at a little over 9 min a mile last year. I also mixed in 100-200m sprints on other days. My conditioning was fairly decent back then.

The last time I tried to run a few months ago, I was barely able to finish 2 miles at like 10 min a mile. This was after months of no exercise at all though. I haven't done any running since then, just boxing training.

Got an unexpected bout coming up in 5 weeks. Should I focus strictly on HIIT for roadwork? I'm guessing yes, but would like some opinions as I'm not sure if I could even run 3 miles at this point.