Should I get medication for anxiety?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by paloalto00, Apr 4, 2013.

1. AliShuffle

AliShuffle Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I'd try this because I really need self confidence and positive thinking but haven't got a clue about meditation and I'm not religious in the slightest.

2. CHAL_DIESEL

CHAL_DIESEL GOAT Full Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Sit in a dark room, with no distractions. Put zen/nature music, and perform deep breathing exercises. I am not trying to Bible thump or anything like that, but sometimes in life we feel like we are truly missing something, like I always had. I had a very strange religious experience, that I really don't want to go into right now, as this is not the place, however seek my friend and you shall find.

One very important aspect of meditation, is performing deep breathing. For example breath in ur mouth really deep, and exhale through ur nose. This is what makes cigarette smokers think that cigarettes calm them down, when in all actuality it is the breathing that they are doing which calms them down.

3. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    At the start of Meditation Deep Breathing helps. the Good Bit is when you stop Breathing as such, Body doesnt need it :D.

4. AliShuffle

Sep 27, 2012
    Interesting, definitely something to think about.

My nerves are affecting my boxing, sometimes I don't even go to my boxing club, just train at home. It's annoying. :patsch

5. CHAL_DIESEL

CHAL_DIESEL GOAT Full Member

Mar 18, 2011
    One thing though man think about this. There are people out there who can't even walk or move their limbs. You need to realize life is too short to sweat the little things. Have people told you that you can't do something in life? Because that is usually derived from jealousy. You don't want to be 70 years old, look back and say "wow I wish I tried that out".

6. Nice :thumbsup

It takes time, but slowly you begin feeling the good things from it. I see meditation as a practise. You have to practise everyday. It takes a long time of training everyday before you become a good boxer. It's the same with meditation. You get out what you put in.

Check this thread Mate: http://www.boxingforum24.com/showthread.php?t=458119 :thumbsup

Oh, and meditation and religion is not the same.

7. AliShuffle

Sep 27, 2012
    You're right. :good

Thing is, I think I could be good, I get compliments, I (and others) have noticed how fast I am compared to others. I just get too nervous!

8. Spooner21

Spooner21 Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2011
    everyones different. i ****ing hate sparring until it starts, i **** my pants all day and it never seems like its going to get any easier. soon as the bell rings i love it, but you definitely get anxiety when you fight all the time. thats what separates fighters from other athletes, that mental aspect that very few men can deal with on a daily basis. see alot of guys come into gyms wanting to be fighters and there gone in a week or two lol. some guys at my gym spar all day every day and never seem to be phased by it, dont understand it. everyones different i guess

9. dzab

dzab New Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Maybe you should consider lighter sparring. A lot less to be nervous about if you know you wont get hurt. I remember getting nervous if I knew there was going to be a hard sparring session that afternoon, but the feeling generally goes away with experience.

Also, remember that at the end of the day, its a sport. You are not fighting to the death!

10. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    That's exactly why they aren't phased by it. If sparring is a special occasion to you, there will obviously be nerves. The only way to overcome that is to spar a lot, until it's just a normal part of your life.

OR you can just be the best in your gym. Not always possible though. One of my old coaches was interviewed by a newspaper and said something like "You need to get to the point where you feel like you're the top dog. If you don't do that, then it's a lot of extra stress on you."

He's right because going to the gym knowing you'll get busted up or made to look bad is stressful and it's why alot of guys don't keep at it. But when you break through that barrier to the point where you can go in the ring and enjoy yourself as much as you want, it's addicting. You'll know you're there when you stop worrying about minimizing damage to yourself or looking bad and worry more about whether you might be going a little too hard or showing off too much.

11. paloalto00

paloalto00 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't like being top-dog, I like having someone that I can ask advise and grow as a fighter from. I'm stressed when I miss out on days at the gym, I'm stressed thinking about sparring, fighting. Come to think about it, I'm stressed all throughout the day no matter what it is. My body doesn't seem to know how to relax

12. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

[yt]4UUPY902Ph0[/yt]

But seriously, you should study up on existentialism for a little bit, read some good books (not on existentialism, but like old novels that explore the topic. Watch some lectures on the topic and look into the Eternal Recurrence ideas of Neitzsche, read some Camus, stuff like that. Your outlook on life might be the place to start.

And also, smoke two joints :rasta

13. deadhead

deadhead Smoke Rings Full Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Listen to the guy who served in the forces (Thank you your service!) Breathing and meditations is all you need.

I had struggled with anxiety since i started highschool back in 2008, I was prescribed Ativan then Klonopin then the big daddy.. Xanax (doctors are so fast to give schedule 1 drugs out). I became addicted to drugs basically. I would smoke pot to an extreme excess, take any pill i could find... What i'm trying to say is, don't be so fast to solve issues with medication. Boxing actaully helped me stop doing all that ****, and i've never been happier with myself.

Breathing excercises work wonders, if it doesn't work, you're not doing it right, Simple as that.

I learned it this way

Sit down and place your hands on your solar plexus

Breath in SLOWLY but fill the top of your lungs of first, your chest will raise
    then inhale so your stomach "fills"
    When you exhale empty your "stomach" then your upper chest.

While you do this count to 3 slowly, maybe even 4. This is going to slow your heart rate down a lot and you might even fall asleeo (happened twice!) but when your finished you get a natural high off it. You feel like you took a nap and your heads clear. If you don't beleive me, try it! :thumbsup