Should I sparr?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Nz1111, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Nz1111

Nz1111 New Member Full Member

Jun 29, 2021
    I love boxing, I've been training for 2 months mostly technique and bagwork and I do have the itch to sparr and do amateur fights. However, I have read about CTE and I wouldn't like to develop that later in life. At 20, I am already a bit too old to go pro or even amateur and I wouldn't be doing this for a living so its not like its anything serious.

Also, I'm 5'10" 137 pounds so I wouldn't really be taking any heavy bombs from heavyweights although my frame could probably take a few more pounds.

2. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his ├žock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Starting that late you're not going to be in the amateurs long enough to get CTE, particularly if you have good responsible coaches around you who are going to make sure you can defend yourself intelligently before putting you into a live fight situation that could be dangerous. Same for sparring, unless you're looking to make a run in the pros, you're doubtful going to log enough rounds of hard sparring to really have to worry about the long-term effects piling up - especially if you're only matched with guys roughly your own size.

Go for it, have fun. :thumbsup:

Nz1111 likes this.