Should Louis have fought more than two black men in his 26 title defenses?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, May 8, 2015.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Allowing for the fact that you may be low-balling Braddock a tiny bit, this is how I see it too.

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Braddock's role?

Perhaps under rated.

You might speculate that team Louis simply made him a better offer than anybody else, but he seems to have been badgering Louis to fight him, before the first Louis Schmeling fight.

Braddock clearly wanted to take on a highly ranked contender, for a big money fight.

3. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Braddock was in the chair when that particular wheel went round. Almost regardless of circumstances he deserves a dunt of credit if we're actually giving it out for some reason.

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    When he was in the Army Louis was responsible for 18 blacks getting the chance to go for Officers Candidate School,
    one of whom was Jackie Robinson who came out of it a Lieutenant.
    By refusing to box in front of segregated audiences he was directly responsble for the segregation being lifted.
    By his behaviour during the War defending his title gratis twice for the war effort, his War Bond raising, his exhibitions and general morale boosting, and the way he conducted himself in victory, he showed colour is irrelevant in defining a man, its a man's character that counts. He made Black America proud to be black .
    And for as pointing White America in the right direction to accept their black people as equals , I think he was a giant .

5. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007

Yeah, but he was no Rosa Parks, get what i'm saying? He was a fighter. Those are the terms he should be judged upon. Quite a lot of people say stuff like that, that he helped black America more than "just about anybody" but it probably isn't true.

He was a unifying figure who booted some major ass.

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He also broke down the colour line in 3 top US golf clubs .

Louis was no Stokeley Carmichael, but he was a very significant figure in the advancement of blacks in the US imo. So I think it is true and my comments are correct.
    I agree emphatically that he should be judged as a fighter , but this thread was not started with that purpose in mind, therefore I think it is entirely legitimate to mention Louis's stance and achievements as a rebuttal to the OP.

7. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Rosa Parks, was no Rosa Parks.

She was just a lady who had had a hard day at work, who told an officious ticket inspector, to play with himself.

Sometimes ordinary people, become civil rights figures by accident of fate, and Louis is a case in point!

8. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Neither Braddock nor Louis broke the color line. Mike Jacobs did. In Louis he saw a guy he could control the division in, and in Braddock he saw a guy looking to cash in because he and everyone else knew his reign would be short. Without Jacobs backing Louis and dangling greenbacks in front of Braddock that color line would have stayed in place a bit longer.

9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Perhaps the pertinent observation!

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    That's valid!