Should Plant have taken the Canelo fight?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by BoxingDialogue, Feb 19, 2020.

1. renyo

renyo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Yes , it was a very stupid move not to take it. He just lay the opportunity to turn himself into a household name. And for what? Coming off an easy victory against an unknown fighter that did nothing for his stock. And saying 11 weeks in between is not enough time? Please this was a lotto ticket and he should have took 3 weeks break and got his ass back in the gym and went for broke. This was game time and he decided to sit the bench. How many great fighters made their name on 2 weeks notice fights, 4 weeks , **** 1 week.. But 11 weeks isn't enough.. Bull****

MrFoFody likes this.
  2. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Oscar and co so badly wanted Feigenbutzhoffer to win so they could grab a strap at 168 off another Rocky From Stocky level world champ.

This content is protected

3. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    I was fairly critical of Plant declining the Canelo fight... and I still am to a degree, but... heres his side of the story and I do understand his perspective a bit more now.

This content is protected

4. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Too much tap dancing from Plant.

If he didn't want to take the fight unless he felt 100% ready then fine but opportunities like that only come once in a while and sometimes you have to man-up.

He might lose his next fight and the opportunity to fight the man at the top might vanish.

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  5. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Supposedly fighters have evolved and are stronger now, have better training, better nutrition than back in the 20s, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's, when elite fighters fought 3-9 times a year a lot of times against the best back to back, but Plant who just had an easy fight doesn't have the physical strength or mentality to fight three months later??? Lmao!!

Anyone else remember an aging Erik Morales losing to MAB in a brutal war, only to fight And beat Manny Pacquiao three months later??

Some fighters are not cut out to be legends.. Plant surely is proving he's not.

northpaw likes this.
  6. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    I think he got bad advice. He used to fight 3-5 times a year not too long ago.

7. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Well ya. Its normal to fight frequently starting out and against poor opposition. As your training camps improve and your level of opposition improve, the number of fights a year usually decrease.

But ya.... no I as much as Id like to I cant defend this. I get everything hes saying and I understand why he thinks it now but this isnt a regular fight. This is a huge huge opportunity.

But hey... if he doesnt feel he would be 100% in this timeframe, then it is what it is. Can I really blame him for not wanting to fight someone of Canelos level if hes not 100%? I dont know

8. Rilz

Rilz Ball don't lie! Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Why would he do otherwise? It is the PBC way.

9. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    I agree that if he doesn't feel 100% then perhaps he shouldn't take the fight. What bothers me is that its hard for me to believe that a training camp would have taken so much out of him. He is in the absolute physical prime of his life. He will likely never be stronger than what he is during these years of his life, so I find it very odd that a prime fighter would use that as an excuse.

I can probably see a fighter like Kovalev needing more time for recovery since he is in his mid 30's and doesn't take very good care of his body according to rumors, but Caleb Plant? Canelo had a long trai ing camp for Golovkin, had a high stress, brutal 12 rounds against Golovkin, and then three months later moved up and fought an impeccable fight against Fielding.

I get Fielding is not in Canelo's level, but a physically prime fighter should be able to recover from training rather easily, at least from my experience watching boxing all these years. Maybe Plant is not cut out of the same cloth, but I smell Haymon Fish with this... He advised Quillin to randomly forfeit his titles, he advised Wilder to pass on the DAZN 100 million dollar contract, he advised Ruiz to drop the trainer who trained him to his title win, and now suddenly another Haymon fighter passes up on a mega fight for mega money? Doesn't make sense at all. I just don't like how Haymon has prevented many good fights from happening.

10. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Just a sec IsaL How on earth can the Ginger chicken LEGITIMALLY compete at 160, 168 & 175 weight limits ??? Oh I know ILLEGALLY!!!
    Ginger is special. Biggest laugh is YOU still support him

Bofo24 likes this.
  11. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    This mini War & Peace type post comes from a guy thats never been inside a boxing ring dont forget. Dont be too hard on him

Bofo24 likes this.
  12. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    If I’m a belt holder or top fighter within 3 weight classes of Canelo I’m keeping the months of May & September open / available every gawd damn year & set up fights right after when / if he passes on me.

13. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    He knows his body better than anyone else does. If the ask was too quick a turnaround, it's too quick a turnaround. He doesn't come to the table with the desperation for a payday that Kovalev had.