Should there be an age limit set for what age a fighter can fight until?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Nov 19, 2018.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Just read a thread about why Manny is still fighting and I feel he should be forced to retire for his own good and anyone else his age, do fans agree with this viewpoint? If not why not?

2. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Hes an adult right. Constitutional lawyers will take a massive dump all over this. Big money lawsuits just waiting to happen if you do this.

Ph33rknot and escudo like this.
  3. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    No.

Arslan fought to a 12 round draw on Saturday and he is 48.

It’s physical deficiencies that matter,not age.So medicals are rightly what decide when someone retires.

Holler and DoubleJ like this.
  4. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    As for Pacquiao you are talking about one of the best fighters in the world still.

5. Gil Gonzalez

Gil Gonzalez Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jun 15, 2012
  6. the factor

the factor Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 13, 2014
    It depends where you are. In a lot of places a commission declining to license a boxer is is rarely over turned.

7. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Archie Moore, George Foreman, Roberto Duran, and Bernard Hopkins were able to fight on close to their 50s. Although I would prefer him to call it quits you have to respect the guy for wanting to keep on fighting, the guy really does love the sport.

8. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Should not be able to turn pro even sparring governed over seen till 20 /21
    Should be made to reitre 45
    Boxing ain't no game its you're brain

9. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2018
    Ring and age real age are so often two entirely different things. I'd rather see an independent panel of neurologists give a recommendation that set an age.

Mayweather at 40 and Brandon Rios at 40 are going to be two very different versions of 40.

Holler, Inside pass and Manfred like this.
  10. Wasteman

Wasteman Certified Wasteman Full Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Looking at his last two performances I'm convinced there's still some fight left in the old dog and that on the right day he could still give most of the young bucks in the division a difficult night's work, perhaps even surprising us.

Manfred likes this.
  11. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    If Vitali came back who is gonna say no you can't? Not the wbc.

12. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    No. vitali could come back right now and be more threat to Wilder then anyone in the WBC. Age is actually discriminating under many circumstances . I've faced them in MMA and I was in my 30's applying a licence needing special physical and I ran a 4:15 mile at 38 years ago...lol

13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Surely if it was introduced to the rules of boxing that would be that and if it went to court, couldn`t the safety issue be used by the boxing authorities? I know thwe law works differently in the UK compared to the US though.

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Running a 4:15 mile at 38 isn`t boxing at 38 and besides you are taking punches and by that age like Manny you may have been knocked out already which dangerous for the brain. AJ would beat Vitali the same way he beat Wlad, his old legs would go in the later rounds and there`s no way of knowing what he has left after such a long lay-off, Wilder would kill him and Lewis now.

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    The clocks ticking and look at his performance against Horn compared to Crawford`s fight with Horn, Manny was lucky he didn`t get awarded the verdict over Horn, because he was meant to go on and fight Crawford, he would have been destroyed.