Should Wilder be considered rank 3?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Vegan Beast, Mar 10, 2021.

Who is rank 3 really?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2021.
  1. Wilder

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Povetkin

28 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Whyte

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Ruiz

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I think we're entering a period where, outside the top two, the rankings don't really tell us a whole lot about how the division stands. I've got no issues putting Whyte at number three for now, based solely on him having got the best win of anyone of late (on paper). I don't expect that to mean anything in terms of his chances against anyone else in the top ten. I think Usyk clearly beats him, and Wilder as well (if he isn't totally mentally shot), and I wouldn't want to bet on him against any of Joyce, Hunter, Ruiz or even old man Ortiz.

Holler and catchwtboxing like this.
  2. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    No in no case.
    Whyte is 0-1 vs Champion in A.J and A.J had KOed Whyte.
    Ruiz is 1-1 vs Champion in A.J and Ruiz had stopped A.J in first fight and in rematch lost only on cards.
    While formally Wilder too should be ranked higher because he on paper is 1-0-1 vs Champion in Fury.

Povetkin fight looks that didn't bought him much. Only this Internim belt.
    Whyte now does have the same place in boxrec as he had before first fight vs Povetkin. Plus does have KO loss vs Povetkin in his resume to add.
    If he didn't had spent time to fight Povetkin I and Povetkin II maybe he might had been promoted better with other fights.

3. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Not sure. Depends from shape Usyk will have. If Usyk will show in shape he had vs Whiterspoon, both Chisora and Whyte will beat him.
    If to talk about WBSS era prime Usyk then yeah, you are correct.

4. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Fury kinda has a belt which keeps his ranking

5. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Which should be stripped if he continues to be inactive

6. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    But as you say he is in the middle of negotiations for a fight

7. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Usyk's victory over Hunter is just about four years old and in a division below. It counts for something, but it's not especially relevant now. And even a faded Povetkin has more clout than Dubois. Dubois might not be top-5 in the United Kingdom, whereas Whyte was top-5 in the world when Povetkin starched him. I do think Usyk is better than Hunter at heavyweight in terms of skill, but his inactivity (two fights in two years) and lack of competition (Chisora is little more than a gatekeeper) hurt his position.

Finkel likes this.
  8. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Yeah. He actually looks that isn't enough interesting for boxing promoters after he left CW division and vacated belts.

Maybe he might with Briedis at catchweight or trim down to CW and fight vs Briedis if he is comfortable to make weight. While later still does have CW IBF World title and The Ring belt, fight might be sold relatively well.
    Or book Makabu, Makabu now does have WBC CW World title and last fight he had vs Durodola, definitely doesn't looks that this was well paid fight.

Otherwise Usyk is going older and older each month and not sure when this fight Fury vs A.J will happen, then this Joyce fight, looks might be sold not that well as title fight for CW title vs Makabu or Briedis.

9. kriszhao

kriszhao Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Until Wilder has at least a fight lined up due to his lack of activity has not fought for a year and has nothing on the horizon on top of losing his last fight in embarrassing fashion I have a hard time rating him too inactive on top of an already poor resume.

Finkel likes this.
  10. Finkel

Finkel Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Regarding inactivity and quality of opposition, I am not sure I can get on board with that argument.

Hunter was last seen putting in rounds against an unranked fighter on the America small show circuit.
    He has fought once since 2019. And whilst, I recognize that Hunter was released by Matchroom, I think it would be nice to see him beating someone even close to Chisora's level before getting bullish about Hunter's standing.

11. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I'm not bullish, though. I'm just trying to flesh out what appears to be the most reasonable stance. Both Transnational and The Ring have it that way.

After all, most had Hunter ahead in the Povetkin fight and Alexander was a level above Chisora then. The Bakole and Kuzmin wins were solid, too. To be honest, I don't have strong feelings about many of the placements, minus Fury and Joshua as #1 and #2. To me, the class is too poor to be convinced of much.

12. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Based on reumes I say it between Whyte and Fury for number 3.

Wilder? AJ, Whyte, Fury, Hunter, Povetkin, Parker, Ruiz and Pulev all have better resumes.

13. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    No. Most People had Povetkin on points against Hunter...

Surrix likes this.
  14. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Why?
    Fury is 1-0-1 in his last 2 title fights and does have WBC World Title and looks that The Ring too.
    Fury also had multiple titles when he won Klit in Germany.
    While Whyte is 0-1 vs A.J and had lost via stoppage.
    Ruiz at least once had multiple belts and his fight record vs current champion is 1-1 ( win via stoppage and loss on points ).
    Pulev is 0-1 vs Klit and 0-1 vs A.J, I do not see how he might be above Wilder cos Wilder at least is 0-1-1 vs current champ in Fury.
    Parker, regardless how we look on this, had belt and is 1-0 vs Ruiz. He had lost vs A.J on points not get finished like Whyte vs A.J.

15. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Fury only notable win in 5 years is against Wilder with an extremely padded record. During this time Whyte has beaten Povetkin, Parker,Rivas, Chisora x2 and Helenius. It's deepest resume of quality of wins in the divison after AJ.

Pulev has wins over Chisora, Hughie, Ustinov, Dimitrenko is at least on par or better than Ortiz x 2, Washington, Spzilka and Duhaupas.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021