Showtime: Jermell De'Avante Charlo vs. Brian Carlos Castaño & Rolando Romero vs. Anthony Yigit RBR

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Jul 17, 2021.

1. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I haven't given an in depth drawn out breakdown of this match yet. Because I don't particularly think it's needed. Jermell doesn't deal with pressure of any kind well or high workrate from defensively sound boxers. He can be outboxed from range and outworked in close. Brian is quite adept at cutting off the ring, and coming in through the side door, giving his opponents angles, never just barreling in face first like Rosario. Had Rosario had 1/10th of the boxing acumen of Castano, he'd have won their match. But he chose to literally plant his feet, stand in front of Charlo, giving him ample opportunities to line him up for perfect shot after perfect shot. Castano's head movement, angles, footwork, suffocating pressure, excellent control of range and distance and his ability to smother his opponents output, basically making it impossible to get the proper torque or extension on their shots to do much damage means. He's going to drown Charlo and outwork him by a country mile, possibly even stopping him late. Regardless, Charlo isn't as slick or defensively sound as Lara and not a southpaw. Castano easy work.

Boon, Stiff Jab and heerko koois like this.
  2. Scott Cork

Scott Cork Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 3, 2021
    is this on a uk channel?

3. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Not sure. Although it is on Fite TV and Hulu, so most likely, yes.

4. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Whoa. Hulu?

5. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    I just checked, yeah... if you buy a Showtime add-on.

6. Stiff Jab

Stiff Jab Despiser of Super-Middleweights Full Member

Jan 7, 2019
    You are such an underdog ***** and I love you for it. :lol:

CST80 likes this.
  7. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Is my logic not sound though?o_O

8. Stiff Jab

Stiff Jab Despiser of Super-Middleweights Full Member

Jan 7, 2019
    It's sound but...Jermell, much like Inoue, has "**** you" power. You're slicker than I am? "**** you." You're faster than I am? "**** you." You have better technical skills or put on great pressure or have power in your shots as well? "**** you" and eat an uppercut, shithead. And it's not like Jermell is a sloppy puncher, either. He will land shots, and unless Castano gets possessed by the spirit of Juan Macias Montiel and straight-up stops giving a crap about eating punches, he will freeze up, start to fight cautiously to avoid punches, which as we saw with Rosario (who I think isn't that much worse than Castano) just plays right into the Charlo bros' hands. If Castano were an elite fighter, I would give him a chance to survive the "**** you" power but...he isn't elite is he? He's just a pretty good fighter.

That's 154 in a nutshell. Not elite, not garbo, just, 'pretty good.' And the winner of this fight graduates from, 'pretty good' to 'good.' And I don't think 'pretty good' or even 'good' level can handle accurately (enough) delivered "**** you" power.

Now excuse me while I swallow my gag reflex for comparing Jermell Charlo to Naoya Inoue in any capacity. :hang

MagicE likes this.
  9. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I think there are three ways this match-up can go:

1. Charlo takes advantage of the fact that Castaño sometimes starts slowly and catches him with something big that hurts or drops him within the first quarter of the fight. Castaño seems pretty resilient, so even though Charlo's a decent finisher I'm hesitant to pick an early stoppage. Still, Charlo has a knack for being able to hurt, drop, or otherwise damage opponents more than once in a fight, so if he hurts him early it's very possible, imo, that he'll hurt him just as badly a few rounds later. And, when that happens, it will be harder for Castaño to recover...resulting in a mid round stoppage.

2. Castaño's educated pressure the day.. He tends to gain momentum as the fight wears on; he's generally responsible in terms of maintaining his defense on the way on, and while I've seen him fight in spurts (notably against Lara) he does to have superior workrate to Charlo. So, in this scenario, he manages to avoid getting caught with anything big or stupid, manages to get inside and do enough good work in close to grind Charlo down, maybe drop him like Ota did when Charlo pulls straight back, and either bank enough rounds to secure the win or force a stoppage through accumulation late (probably the former).

3. A bit from A and B. Charlo starts well and might up his workrate and aggression enough to maybe catch Castaño off guard and put him on the back foot for the first couple of rounds. Might well hurt him during that time. Eventually, Castaño manages to get a sense of when Charlo wants to launch an ambush and manages to stymie him more frequently. Still, Charlo finds a way to land something big just as the fight starts to get out of hand. From then, it becomes a case of harder single shots vs quantity and aggression, and I think Charlo probably does enough to earn a close, controversial decision in that kind of fight.

I'm leaning option 3, but it should be a fun fight regardless of how it unfolds.

10. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket Answer the phone mofo!-Suge Knight Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    If that was the case then his brother would still be undefeated. I don't think Haymon cheats for his guys like Arum and King did/does.

Boon likes this.
  11. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    lol what? His brother is actually undefeated and shouldn't be. And Mell also got some really favorable scorecards in the past.

MagicE and johnny_o like this.
  12. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    My view is that a win is win however it happens. The winner of this as undisputed champion at 154 pounds will have to enter top 10 P4P rankings which is an amazing feat in itself because I don’t think this was the expectations for either of these fighters.

13. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    A win is a win. For sure. But the credibility of a win isn't necessarily there if its another strange decision for one of the Bros. Simple as that.

14. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    That’s a big call.

CST80 likes this.