Showtime PPV: Gervonta Davis vs. Léodegario Santa Cruz & Regis Prograis vs. Juan Heraldez RBR.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Oct 31, 2020.

1. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    Yeah, it's tough, especially with short arms. I was just thinking about the last few fights and my training back in the day. My main coach was all about the jabs, that he taught us about the seven jabs and he even wrote a book on it. Even from there when I worked with different guys they had a few jab types they recommended.

I was just watching LSC's jabs tonight and they were shhh to be frank. He was mostly just throwing them out there just because as part of a combo sequence, but no real purpose or thought behind them. I mean you can use them in so many ways, from intimidating opponents, keeping their hands busy blocking, setting up distance, setting up counters. Mayweather has got to be one of the best with a jab with the variety he threw and the purpose he would use them for.

That's also what struck me in the Lopez vs Loma fight and how well Lopez used the jab to control the fight with Loma. It was almost mind boggling to me that Loma, known for being a defensive fighter, hardly threw a jab their whole fight. That's actually what makes a Loma vs Tank fight kind of hard for me to predict.

Badbot, NoNeck and Pimp C like this.
  2. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Excellent post!

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    No idea, just noticed it on an mma thread last night

Pimp C likes this.
  4. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Brutal ko. Small fighters that can punch like that are money.

5. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Some good and some bad things from a Tank POV from this fight.

I'll start with the good.

Stunning KO. Both brutal and technically sound. He was looking for that counter a few times, which shows some astute boxing from Tank. He didn't panic or anything either. At times he comes across an ******* but he seemed to have matured in the post fight interview. I wonder if getting some hands put on him has humbled him a little. He seemed a little shaken up at times, so showed a good head to deal with that. I liked his body work too.

The not so good

I had Santa Cruz up going in that round and frankly at times I thought Tank was getting his ass kicked. Not terribly but he was being worked over. The rounds were still pretty close but at times I saw a B level Featherweight working Tank and Tank having to rely on his power. Which is fine if you've got it, but I'm careful not to dress this win up as something it's no. It's been a long time since we looked at LSC and saw him as a top fighter, and when we did it certainly wasn't at 130.

If I'm one of the top fighters at 135, I don't see someone to fear. I really like Tank-Haney, that's the one to make for me. I would still back Loma to pick him apart, although it's hard to know how Loma is going to be when he comes back. Lopez beats him. Garcia I'm still unsure on, I think Tank might be a problem for him style wise as his head can be very pedestrian. All good fights though, and I bet we don't get one of them next.

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  6. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Post the vid.

:lol: