Simon Jordan PPV Boxing Context

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Jurgen, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Well worth a listen for the non PPV Army.

This content is protected

I promise I did not write a speech for him.

Here's Johnny, N17 and kojak like this.
  2. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Simon Jordan said some nice words about Rangers recently too. Had a good exchange with Pogba’s agent a couple weeks ago too. Always used to think SJ was a **** when he was at Palace and he may well still be a **** but he at least speaks sensibly about a lot of sporting issues it seems.

Clarkey, Pompey Junglist, N17 and 5 others like this.
  3. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    Until sky and bt or itv pay huge purses that make zero sense financially won't get many good fights at 10pm if it wasn't for ppv. I would rather pay £20 for Whyte v povetkin than stay up to 5am to see it in America.

Dazn global will be US focused as that's a bigger market. So no ppv means we won't get anything like the fights we have head ( including lower profile ppv fights)

N17 likes this.
  4. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I believe PPV is now overpriced but I have also said for a long time PPV should be a tier system,

For example, Band C £9.99, Band B £14.99 and Band A £19.99

Now there would be an issue with who should be in what Band, but you get the idea, a big domestic fight could be £9.99 and a big world title fight could be £19.99.

Also there should be a discount for channel subscribers, if you subscribe to Sky Sports then you should get a discount on a PPV, the same if you subscribe to BT Sports, if you're a loyal customer and support the channel all year around why are you paying the same as somebody who just tunes in one time.

5. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Whyte v Povetkin type non title fights with both being paid millions and millions of pounds is why the gravy train must eventually hit the buffers.

People will wake up.

If that fight was not made, who really cares?

6. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    i do agree with some of his sentiments. Hearn had nothing to do with the Wilder vs Fury fight and the $75 pricepoint.

Hearn works froma streaming service globally besides the UK which is doing exactly what SJ is saying operating at a lower price point to combat illeagl streaming. Hence Hearns comments during the week of paying a relatively low subscription to watch the fights in HD without buffering or time lag.

On top of that you have various things Hearn has to deal with in the UK.... He has said today in an interview that he wishes he had bigger rights fees over here as the level of cards despite some being decent is all that he is able to put on based on the fees Sky pay him. So I would argue its Sky that need to rethink their model and distrubution of finance/ reliance on PPV. Hearn has a contract with them, they pay X amount and he then puts on the best cards he can with that cash.... I dont think its neccesarily his fault the quality is dwindling as it doesnt exactly help him or his business to put on weak cards with half full arenas.

The other point to contend with is the concept of value that other fighters put on themselves. If a broadcaster in US for instance is willing to pay a fighter X amount of money and Sky/BT cant or wont pay those purses then that fighter goes to where he gets paid the most.

Take Dillian Whyte vs Parker for instance, if I am Parker and I just earned a rumoured £8m for the AJ fight and then I am being offered a fight with Whyte. I would want 20% of what I got to fight AJ as a minimum and if I was Whyte I would want the same. Thats £4m and unless Sky are prepared to front that cost place undercard there is no other way to do it unless its PPV. They only need 200k buys to break even and based on previous buyrates and demand they know they can fund it.

Only way it stops is for people to stop buying the PPV... that means one of two things, either DAZN put up good money when they enter the UK market or fights move to other markets namely the USA and Saudi

Scissors and Clarence Gianni like this.
  7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He's talking as if Hearn was the promoter of Wilder-Fury 2

Trafford likes this.
  8. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Few things wrong for me

1. PPV should only be charged for non Sky Sports and BT Sports Subscribers.
    2. It is wrong that fighters are being paid millions and millions for fights including non title fights, exhibition fights and one sided garbage.

Looks like the Sky model of screwing as much out of people is beginning to screw themselves into a position of serious business decline.

Oreet Cha! likes this.
  9. Rigsbys Cat

Rigsbys Cat Member Full Member

Apr 15, 2013
    I couldn’t agree more!
    Who wants to watch;
    A pavlova (past it’s sell by date) versus
    A Jamaican ginger cake (too much treacle)

10. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    If that fighter can make millions and millions to train his arse off... get his head punched in potentially takes years of his life fair play to them.... if it isnt worth £20 to me I wont pay it. If it is then I will watch.

Completely up to me if i want to pay for what Sky are selling.

Point 1 I do agree with however, if they are making massive profits then they should pay the fighters out of their own profits but its extremely unlikely a business would start doing that out of the kindness of their hearts

Jurgen likes this.
  11. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Ppv is such an unfair model the way they take the £25 out of my bank account without asking me and there is nothing I can do about it.

a much fairer system would be if I could look at a fight card, look at the price being charged, then CHOOSE whether or not to hand my money over to watch it. I know that sounds fanciful but hey you’ve gotta dream.

12. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015

I dont know what you are signed up to, but eff that...

13. Little brian

Little brian Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Jesus....

14. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Was this £25 for Sky, BT or other?

15. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    What are you going to report him for!