Sit Down Earnie Shavers ... Deontay Wilder is the best puncher the division has ever produced

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dubblechin, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Ah c'mon Dubblechin. You are too good a poster to confuse or conflate best & hardest puncher.
    It is possible a guy may get Koed & not recall the hardest shot. But it is often the more effective puncher.
    BOTH Wilder & Shavers are limited fighters.
    But Shavers did not have very good endurance, Wilder does.
    And Wilder with his length & speed is very good at eventually accurately landing the right hand flush.
    Despite his dubious boxing skills.

You know well that KO's-like say RBI's or runs scored or wins for a pitcher...Are only partially a matter of power.
    There is also the context of who they fight when. And other things that *they* do, including volume/accuracy/if the punch is seen/rolled with/combinations/chin/endurance/heart.style match ups..That put them in the position to KO a man.

IF pure power equaled, say, how soon you get a guy out of there, then the fighters who KOed Wilder's common opponents earlier hit harder.
    They did not hit harder than Wilder.
    That Shavers could not hit some guys flush enough, or was not a good enough finisher to even beat them does not mean he does not "hit hard enough" to beat them.
    Take the common opponent of him & Foreman Lyle.
    Foreman beating Lyle does *not* mean he hit harder than Shavers.
    Besides any differences in quality Lyle may have had on that particular day...
    Foreman just had the chin to withstand a being dropped a couple of times.
    Shavers did not. And he would tend to gas earlier.

Still, you overcompensated in noting the problems of Shavers.
    Fighting through the golden age of the HWs, '69-'77, at one point he had a record of 45-2, then 54-5-1. Just before he lost a close fight with Ali-gassing at the end.
    And almost every victory was a KO or a TKO.
    For all his limitations he was a World Class fighter.

Wilder really has skipped fighting the best guys around. Fought almost no top 10 fighters. Did not beat the one he did, a long moribund hard living Fury.
    He also obtained-or softened guys up for-the KO through some illegal & rabbit punches.

He does hit very hard indeed.
    But who he fought & how he KOed them does not reflect he is the hardest striker ever.

2. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    KO2 over Joe Fraizer who was coming off of one of the greatest wins in the history of the division) after dropping him 6 times, also KO2 over Ken Norton who then went on to give Ali and Holmes fits.

That’s way more successful than 10 title defences over 9 fighters noone will remember. (People will remember Fury, but Wilder hasn’t beaten him as of yet.)

Loudon likes this.
  3. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Way to twist and make Jimmy Young sound like a journeyman. If I hadn’t seen your other posts and known that you were very knowledgeable with HW history, I’d think you were a boxrec warrior.

George Crowcroft and Loudon like this.
  4. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Jimmy Young was a pro for 20 years, and he was a rated contender for roughly five of those years. The other 15 years, he was a journeyman. He was a journeyman when he first outpointed Ron Lyle in 1975, that's why Lyle took him as a tuneup. And he was a journeyman (according to everyone in classic who hates Gerry Cooney) by the time he was torn to pieces by Cooney in 1980.

Who else did Jimmy Young floor and retire, other than Foreman? Nobody.

Don't act like Jimmy Young flattening guys and beating them into retirement was a common occurance.

5. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    I don't know where you're going with this.

Both were great punchers. But you can't knock out everybody. You know that.

Some guys are durable, some guys just try and survive, and if you come up against a good fighter, you can't always land your perfect shot.

You also have to look at the circumstances.

Again, you're criticising George for not knocking someone out who was 1 of 3 opponents in a 12 day period.

Again, you're criticising George for not knocking out somebody whilst he was 46 years of age.

Why didn't Wilder crush Stiverne with ease the first time?

Why didn't he crush Fury, instead of getting a gift draw?

Again, unless you're going to analyse what happened when both guys landed their perfectly timed shots, it's a pointless debate.

Anybody can spin stats in their favour.

George Crowcroft and Entaowed like this.
  6. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Wilder broke his right hand when he floored Stiverne in their first fight, and he had to box his way to a decision. It was widely reported. And when they rematched, he knocked out Stiverne in one round.

Wilder floored 6"9" Tyson Fury - who outweighed Wilder by 50 pounds - TWICE ... and the second time, Fury got up at the count of 10 and then had an additional 10 seceonds to walk around and clear his head before the referee decided Fury was OKAY to continue.

Why didn't George knock out smaller guys with losing records, guys who weren't 6'9" and didn't outweigh him by anywhere from 20 to 50 pounds each, and weren't champions (like Stiverne and Fury were)?

Because George was tired from knocking out another bum a couple weeks earlier.

Did the Bob Hazelton fight take too much out him, and he was too anxious about his fight with the 190-pound "Hobo" Wiler that he just couldn't concentrate on Levi Forte?

And it's not a pointless debate. Who is the hardest puncher is a classic debate.

It's only NOW a pointless debate because WILDER is being mentioned as the best puncher of all time ... and not some old timer.

People have argued forever who the best punchers ever were.

NOW it's a pointless debate because people are starting to agree it's Wilder, and this board can't stand him.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  7. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Wow!

Unbelievable!

10 defences in 5 years?

What have been his biggest wins?

He got a gift draw in his biggest fight.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    And?

We can do this all night.

Basically, you want to criticise George for not knocking out all of his opponents without allowing for circumstances, but then when I question why Wilder didn't do it, you come at me with reasons which you want me to respect.

It's pointless.

9. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    And George Foreman got knocked out in eight in his biggest fight.

And then retired for a year because he was so humiliated.

And right when he was about to get a rematch, he got smacked around and floored by a 20-5 fighter with seven knockouts, and retired for another 10 years.

The only blemish on Wilder's perfect record of knockouts is up next. He won't be getting dropped by a 20-5 fighter and quitting before the rematch like George did.

Don't act like George was so superior.

I've always liked George, but the guys George DIDN'T knock out are more of a head scratcher than Wilder not stopping a 6'9" 260-pounder like Fury.

Robert Davila wasn't Tyson Fury. Levi Forte wasn't Tyson Fury. Jimmy Young wasn't Tyson Fury. Gregorio Peralta wasn't Tyson Fury.

Wilder's the better puncher.

10. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    So far, your excuse is George didn't knock out Levi Forte (a small guy with a losing record) ....

Because George knocked out Bob Hazelton (who had a losing record) in one round a week earlier, and he had a fight with "Hobo" Wiler (I think Homer Simpson outlasted him before the Dedrick Tatum fight) a few days after Forte, and that was too taxing of a schedule, apparently?

But Wilder not taking out Tyson Fury (who was taller, undefeated and outwweighed him by 50 pounds) after dropping him twice is a deal breaker.

If that's all you've got, then we can't do this all day. Because that excuse is laughable.

Floyd Patterson knocked out Forte in two rounds after George went 10 with him.

I guess it's a good thing Floyd didn't have a fight with "Hobo" Wiler coming up next.

This content is protected

11. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Just stop.

It's becoming so tiresome.

This is what Bailey does.

Again, anybody can spin stats to suit their agenda.

So what if Fury outweighed him by 50 pounds?

Fury was out of shape and he'd been inactive.

If Foreman had failed to knock Fury out, you'd be saying how Fury had no power and had been knocked down by a CW etc.

The reason why Wilder didn't knock Fury out is because he couldn't land his right hand flush. And that's because it's not always possible to do so.

Your sarcasm is so ignorant it's ridiculous.

Let's see Wilder fight 3 opponents in 12 days.

Let's see Wilder have 80 fights.

Let's see Wilder have a 10 year hiatus before coming back and mixing it with elite guys like Evander whilst he's in his 40's.

Mike Tyson was more devastating than Wilder. What do you think he'd have done with Wilder's opposition?

You keep saying Wilder is the best puncher of all time. Yet there's a difference between being the best puncher and the most powerful.

12. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Yeah, let's see if Wilder could knock out Bob Hazelton, Levi Forte and Hobo Wiler in 12 days. (Jesus) Since George couldn't do it, it's clearly an impossible task. (THAT's sarcasm)

And Fury was in great shape for Wilderand sharp as hell that night. He was in better shape than he was for the Chisora fights or any fights this year. In fact, Fury will have a hard time duplicating that performance, because WILDER was the lightest he'd been since his pro debut, and he won't be for the rematch.

As for George Foreman knocking out Tyson Fury, Foreman couldn't knock out Robert Davila, Levi Forte, Gregorio Peralta, Jimmy Young, Bigfoot Martin, Tommy Morison, Alex Stewart, Lou Savarese, Crawford Grimsley, Axel Shulz, Evander Holyfield or Muhammad Ali ... so I wouldn't expect Foreman to stop Fury.

Guys with any semblence of speed gave him problems. A 6'9" 260 pound boxer-puncher with a smart mouth would've sent him into a cave of depression for another decade.

13. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Bore off.

You don't even want to debate.

Excuse?

Fighting 3 guys in 12 days?

Not knocking out a guy after having almost 80 fights at 47 years of age?

Laughable.

Hey, Wlad couldn't knock Fury down, but Cunningham could. So I guess Cunningham was a better puncher than Wlad, yeah?

Look how you're bigging Fury up to suit your agenda. An inactive fighter who had only fought 2 tune ups in 3 years. A recovering alcoholic and drug user who had to shed 10 stone after having mental health issues. A fighter who wasn't at his best. Yet Wilder couldn't knock him out and Fury was robbed of a win. But instead of being honest and saying that the reason Wilder didn't knock him out is because he couldn't land his perfect shot, you start trying to justify it by listing factors as to why it wasn't possible. Yet when I try and do that, you say I'm making excuses. So what you're saying is: You can give reasons, yet I can't.

You're a joker.

You want me to take into account that Wilder was outweighed by 50 pounds, yet you won't take into account that in one of the fights you've mentioned, George was almost 50 years old. SMH.

I can't even be bothered to carry this on.

You're criticising George but are bigging up Wilder despite the fact that he hasn't done much.

George beat up Frazier and Norton when he was prime, then came back to win a version of the HW title at 45 years of age.

Wilder has made on average 2 defences a year, of a belt that was won from a fat, C level fighter in Stiverne, who only won the vacant belt against Chris Arreola.

In his biggest fight to date, he got a gift draw against a non punching HW who wasn't at his best.

He's the greatest puncher of all time though, right?

I'll let you debate with the others now. I'm done.

14. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Fury was in great shape for Wilder?

Yeah, of course he was.

I've never even mentioned a Fury-Foreman fight, but yeah, Foreman not being able to knock those guys out who you've listed, is obviously crystal clear proof that he wouldn't have been able to have knocked Fury out too.

I despair.

Go and debate with someone else.

15. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    You keep repeating that like those three fights weren't against Bob Hazelton, Levi Forte and Hobo Wiler.

Here's Foreman against Bob Hazelton. It last 90 seconds!

What exactly happened, in your mind, that caused George to be too worn out to fight Levi Forte week later?

Here's Levi Forte getting knocked out by Floyd Patterson in two rounds the fight after Forte went 10 with George.

Are you seriously arguing Foreman didn't have enough time to prepare for Forte? Or are you saying the "Hobo" Wiler fight in a couple days (who George stopped in one) was weighing on his mind? What the hell is your point, exactly?

Clearly, Tyson Fury is a little tougher to stop than great Levi Forte.

And then you brag about Foreman in his comeback, but if I bring up bad performances in his comeback, that's not right according to you?

You're right. It is time for you to go.

Wilder is the better puncher. There are no embarrassing Levi Forte 10-round decisions on Wilder's record. Foreman's got quite a few distance fights on his that raise eyebrows for someone to claim he was the best puncher.