Sit Down Earnie Shavers ... Deontay Wilder is the best puncher the division has ever produced

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dubblechin, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Honestly, I despair.

You are an absolute joker.

This is Bailey level nonsense.

I've come back one final time just to highlight what a monstrosity of a post this is.

Do you seriously think that a young, 20 year old fighter is going to be at his best fighting 3 guys in just 12 days??

If it's at all possible, please try and engage your brain for just a moment.

Three pro opponents within a 12 day period?

One opponent in Vegas, one opponent in Miami, and one opponent in Seattle?

Three different states in under 2 weeks, at just 20 years of age?

Are you serious?

To you those results suggest that he's overrated as a puncher?

A young kid travelling the country?

Fighting his 3rd opponent, just TWO DAYS AFTER fighting his 2nd opponent?

Ha!

Yes, I'm going to say that George may have been thinking about his next opponent who he had to fight in a different state, just 2 days later.

Floyd Patterson knocked Forte out a month later?

No.

He knocked him out 13 months later.

A Floyd Patterson who was in his 30's, who'd had a 4 month break, and who was back on the comeback trail.

Unbelievable, huh?

What, you don't think that under different circumstances, George couldn't also have replicated that performance?

You're not going to make allowances for his age or the circumstances?

Really?

I have zero respect for you as a poster.

A guy who couldn't knock Forte out at 20, ended up knocking Moorer out at 45.

A guy who couldn't knock Forte out, ended up knocking out Frazier and Norton.

How was it even possible?

You're something else.

On the one hand, you're criticising George for not knocking out 3 opponents in 12 days, which averages out at a fight once every 4 days, yet on the other hand, you're celebrating where Wilder has fought an average of just 2 opponents each YEAR during his title reign.

Brilliant.

Yeah, George has had a few fights that went the distance. But maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with the fact that he had an 80 fight career, compared to the 43 fight career that Wilder's had.

You're damn right it's time for me to go.

With absolute pleasure.

Instead of replying nonsense back to me, go and respond to Entaowed's post which you haven't yet addressed.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    LANCE99 and Rock0052 like this.
  2. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    We're arguing about who is the better puncher. Wilder is the better puncher. I know George Foreman can punch. But he wasn't the best puncher ever. Clearly. Guys went the distance with him who others had no problem stopping. That doesn't lend to credence to the fact that he's the best of them all.

It's not brain surgery.

And you can drop the three fights in 12 days crap any time. It's a losing argument. Those three guys were awful. Only one had a winning record (good old Hobo, and George stopped him). Forte had no business going 10 with him. The Toronto Five were better, and he fought them all the same afternoon.

3. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Because I think Wilder is the best puncher in heavyweight history instead of Foreman?

Because I don't buy into your lame argument that George fought three bums in 12 days (including one literally nicknamed Hobo), so he shouldn't be blamed for not stopping them all?

Sorry. Wilder is better.

4. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I can't go as far as saying he's the *best* puncher in the history of the division -- he needs more KOs over top guys, and there's just no way to parse the question so finely without incorporating bias -- but he's certainly on the very highest tier. If you place the question in the negative, whether anyone in HW history is a clearly better puncher than Wilder, I think the answer is an emphatic no.

Stylistically, his knockouts are starting to remind me more of Julian Jackson. I don't rate him PfP as that caliber of puncher, at least not yet, but as with Jackson you guys completely out or else zombie their way to their feet but are unable to continue.

Dubblechin likes this.
  5. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    :lol: Gotta love the simpleton logic...

6. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    That was a GREAT punch and there is no doubt Wilder has tremendous power but let’s not get carried away. He knocked out a 40 year old guy who he knocked out once before. I don’t want to minimize his accomplishments but I wouldn’t put him on any all time lists until his level of opposition improves.

He’s KOd so many bums and low level guys. I want to see him fight top guys before anointing Wilder the best of anything, even the best of THE CURRENT era. He couldn’t KO a 300 lb off the couch version of Fury and somehow avoided the likes of AJ, Ruiz and other top guys over the years.

Wilder has huge power, but he’s also got some huge gaps in his game. The huge power helps to cover up his flaws but they are still there and I think top fighters can exploit them. Old man Ortiz outboxed him ever round until he got KOd and he’s not a historically good boxer and he’s old. Looking forward to seeing Wilder fight the top guys in the game. If he does it and knocks them out, you have to give him consideration. Until he does, he’s just a flawed fighter with big power and a trail of crushed cans in his wake.

7. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    No more simplistic than:

"George knocked down Joe Frazier six times. He's the best puncher ever."

But what about all the guys he didn't knock out? Guys like Davila, Forte, Peralta, Bigfoot Martin, Jimmy Young, Grimsley, Morrison, Stewart, Savarese, Shulz, Briggs?

"How dare you! I have zero respect for you. Don't you know he had a fight with Hobo Wiler coming up?"

8. LANCE99

Mar 11, 2016
    Big George didn't get called that for simply one fight. :duh

9. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Wilder fought 43 times. How does that equate to two fights a year?

10. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    He kinda did.

He didn't get called the best puncher ever for knocking out Ali, Holyfield, Young, Savarese, Morrison, Stewart, Shulz, Briggs, Grimsley, Bigfoot, Forte and Davila, because he didn't knock any of them out.

And other fighters stopped names like Norton, Lyle and Cooney before George did. And I don't see anyone touting them as the best puncher ever.

11. LANCE99

Mar 11, 2016
    No... he didn't. Big George got his rep based on his career. Let me guess, you were around back then and right after George fought Frazier, ONLY THEN was he called that? o_O

12. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    LANCE99,

You're debating with a guy who won't make any allowances for the fact that an inexperienced 20 year old novice didn't knock out 3 opponents in 12 days.

You're debating with a guy who won't make any allowances for a guy not being able to knock out world class fighters at almost 50.

You're debating with a guy who celebrates the fact that Wilder has made 10 defences of his title over a 5 year reign, which averages 2 fights a year.

Enjoy.

13. LANCE99

Mar 11, 2016
    :lol: Always with the good points!

Loudon likes this.
  14. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    How many defenses did George average a year? Take your time. There weren't many. Either time.

I swear to God, you might be the dimmest bulb on this board.

15. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Dave Zyglewiczz knocked out Levi Forte, for Christ's sake.

And, again, Foreman once fought five guys in one day and he fought three guys in four days at the Olympics, so making up the "three guys in 12 days is FAR TOO MANY" excuse is a joke. Like I said, it doesn't work.