Classic Forum Chat: Size isn't the only factor.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lufcrazy, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Garrus

Garrus Big Boss 1935-2014 Full Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Nothing unreasonable there. Dempsey would be his (AJ's) most winnable fight I'd reckon.

2. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    What does that even mean?

3. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Came here to say this.

Also wondering if any non-troll in the history of this forum ever claimed that size was the only factor.

Bokaj, Pat M, mr. magoo and 1 other person like this.
  4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Exactly what it says

RockyJim likes this.
  5. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Because nobody is directly saying it...

Uysk 34 years old 6'3" 220 lbs 78"
    Louis 37 years old 6'2" 210 lbs 76"

At 6'6" 240 lbs Joshua lost to an old cruiserweight who used to weigh under 200 lbs in his prime.

I understand it should have been an easy nights work for the modern super heavy. That's what the people pretending to not eat crow have wasted their lives arguing on here for years.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  6. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    It certainly has been the implication that size is the only factor for some posters when faced with an evidence backed theory for the smaller man to “find a way”.

Size advantage is always the trump card of the misinformed.

It is my guess most of the guys who didn’t entertain the idea of Usyk beating AJ have implied size being the only factor in many discussions on here.

RockyJim and Gazelle Punch like this.
  7. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019
    Isn't that the same argument they been making against Joe Louis forever on here?

That he was under 200 lbs once so the weight he added in his 30s don't count even if it's lean muscle. I know I've had that very argument several times.

8. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    100% correct. Let’s hope this is remembered at least a few times before it comes up again!

RockyJim and Bah Lance like this.
  9. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019
    These guy's pretending they never made these arguments lol

This is why I don't bother anymore, these posters like Dino and others before them lack the character to admit being wrong. They would rather do this wiggle dance.

It's as bad as when the barely 6 foot fat brawler KOed Joshua with nothing but power and toughness. Remember Kool and Seamus trying to make out like it was a miracle of modern training?

It's not like Joshua is bad, he does good against other big men. But otherwise, the purpose of his existence seems to be to make a case for past heavyweights. Lol

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  10. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    He will probably be a contender, might get a title even. But I meant another one on Usyl's level and I don't think he is that.

11. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    What?! AJ had nothing left and was about to be stopped and kept punching, what fight were you watching?

Bokaj likes this.
  12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    That was amusing.

perhaps they are busy eating humble pie today?

RockyJim likes this.
  13. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Yes, I'm with you on that. The first Ruiz fight when Ruiz was in shape really showed that up. Padded record and never given given a chance to develop any sort of ring smarts. Next thing you know you're the heavyweight champion of the world. Aj is a great athlete and powerful, perfect for fellas who will stand in front or fellas past their best but he was never prepared for someone like Usyk. I don't want to knock him too much because he can fight but just never been allowed to develop. On the other hand taken the other route, the true route he may of come unstuck earlier and never achieved what he did.

Jel, RockyJim, Tin_Ribs and 1 other person like this.
  14. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    This is a good post and I agree with much of the sentiments.
    in what other era could Ruiz have been considered in shape? He took care of business, and was clearly in ring shape, but he also could have prepared a lot more. Ruiz was even a substitute that night.

This is true. But whilst I have always said AJ was learning on the job, the number of his supporters who were backing him in every fantasy fight were rather thin on the ground in realising he was still learning on the job.

RockyJim and AlFrancis like this.
  15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Usyk has never weighed 190, the cruiser limit is 200lbs now and he was not a small cruiser.

Pat M and mrkoolkevin like this.