"Sky blocking AJ by paying him more" - Eddie Hearn

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Finkel

Finkel Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    That's fair enough, but DiBella was attached to all of Wilder's title defences from winning the belt up until the fall out from those negotiations. That was 8 fights back to back across a three year period. To me, contract or not, it makes you their promoter.

However, I understand your point that in DiBella, Haymon could keep control of Wilder, and Wilder wasn't being tied to a multi-fight contract under a different promotional network.

Edit: @Saintpat, sorry confused you with @Bob Flaps who I was initially replying to

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Saintpat likes this.
  2. Matthew240

Matthew240 New Member Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    It came out when Phil Taylor went through his divorce case that he owned 8.2% of PDC Darts. I believe it was a deal Barry had done with him.

This content is protected

3. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Active Member Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    PDC being a separate company, and most of the "old school" darts players were given shares in it as part of their departure from the BDO. Over time it was a way to pay them back for playing effectively for nothing, in 1993-94 when the split meant they were barred from playing tournaments and exhibitions that were their livelihood. It also predated Hearn having any dealings with the PDC - he came in later when he told them how much they were missing commercially, but they already had Sky on board long before that. The players have routinely sold lumps of shares to Matchroom or others over the years since it took control; some are still shareholders now.

4. Astro

Astro Active Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I wonder if Eddie Hearn wants to make the undercard to Usyk vs Joshua II as bad as possible ?

5. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    His usual then.

6. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Eddie: The undercard is completely unwatchable. Not even their families will want to see these guys fight each other. … I think it’s my best work.

7. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Not down to Eddie.

The Matchroom ppv model means the fighters own the show. Basically AJ and Usyk decide how much of the pot goes to them and how much for the undercard.

It's crazy to think that Hearn would use self sabotage. The more PPVs bought the better.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  8. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Handsome Beef Cake Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Not sure if he has a choice, his UK stable aint all that.

9. Finkel

Finkel Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    So far, it's an awful undercard. One that would make Warren blush.

But what did all the Queensberry and Fury fans tell us when we got the Lowe-Ball undercard?
    "Who is paying to see the undercard?"
    Seems Hearn had his ears open and is giving the fans what they want...

a race to the bottom :duh

10. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    That's fair enough but poor undercards like this one seems to be looking kinda makes him lose credibility when he talks about how other promoters undercards are weak compared to matchroom ppv shows like he did with Khan vs Brook for example.

He can't continue to go back to past ppv undercards to legitimise his point. He is fairly being judged on current shows and this ppv undercard looks diabolical

Frankie Blue Eyes likes this.
  11. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    This weird obsessive behaviour around investigating another man's potential net worth is fascinating to observe. Females might engage in this type of behaviour whilst in heat and searching for a mate to rear children with, but this? I have no idea what this is about but it is apparently a popular pastime among more than a few people on this board. Remarkable.

nurological likes this.
  12. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    If the AJ fight is on Sky don't we need confirmation soon. Pretty sure sky would be wanting to start the promotion for ppv considering we about a month away from the fight.

13. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Hearn Jnr started this culture.

Frankie Blue Eyes likes this.
  14. nurological

nurological Boxing Addict Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Oh shut up, if this was a quality undercard you would be on here licking Hearns arris

Wizbit1013 and Frankie Blue Eyes like this.
  15. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Wilder dropped the ball by ducking AJ. His career is in tatters because of it.

Finkel and Trafford like this.