Slickest Boxer Ever?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 17, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Willie Pep's Genius Head Movement & Footwork compared to any other fighters in history, is he the slickest? I feel Loma is more skilled, but is he? Who would win a head to head between these two at super-feather, prime for prime? Are these the two most skilled fighters of all-time?
    This content is protected

Tramell likes this.
  2. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    For me a skilled fighter isn't necessarily a slick fighter.

Loche, this is a sick-slick fighter here!

Whitaker is the Pep of my era. super slick!

RJJ was the most talented mofo ever! Natural gifts allowed him to do stupid stuff that can't or should NOT be encouraged to do. Words like skill doen't apply to the below, rather badass, gifted or ? slick!

The one fighter off the top who was slick & skilled? Is James Toney, he ducked, slipped bobbed & weaved in a slick manner. But he rarely did clowning like RJJ or Sew-pea or Niccolino. What he did that was slick IMO could be taught for a fighter to add to their arsenal. No way in hell should someone do like Locche & drop his hands taunting!

Sergio Martinez was a very slick fighter, much like RJJ who he admired. & just like RJJ when the reflexes went.....

juppity, Grapefruit, TipNom and 3 others like this.
  3. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    U know I am an admirer of Loma.

But I got Pep over Loma. Loma doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside any dude with 200 fights let alone 229-11-1 Mr. Pep.

Reinhardt likes this.
  4. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Miguel Canto.

Who, coincidentally, had Pep as his stylistic influence. Greatest Mexican 'boxer' ever; maybe the greatest 'boxer' ever alongside Pep and co.

Some highlights as a snapshot:

5. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Toney is a good shout. He was old school. He had the cunning of an Archie Moore. Nothing flash or cheap about Toney at his best as a Middle / Super Middle in the 90's. All business.

6. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Mark,...get your head outta yer ass buddy...both Pep and
    are slicker and more proven vs better fighters & having more fights...you can also toss in there Sweet Pea Whitaker...those three for starters, with other more worthy candidates than Loma, like Georgie Benton, prime Joey Giardello, and the aforementioned James Toney...

Unnecessarily Hostile likes this.
  7. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sorry for the omission of Miguel Canto in my post, but him too.

Unnecessarily Hostile likes this.
  8. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Paul Spadafora should be in the conversation here.

red cobra likes this.
  9. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    For me, its Jimmy Young. All the others you guys mentioned too, but Young, was SO nonchalant about it, sometimes it was not even obvious he was making guys miss, or over and above that, just always being in a place where they would have to readjust there position to be able to throw. Take Locche, absolutely beautiful stuff there, but it was almost a show in itself, his defensive moves while brilliant, were easy to see. Young was more like , hard to detect sometimes.after a few rounds you realize, OMG, this guy is not getting hit with anything! Slight moves, little things, but so effective. I'm rambling, sorry! LOL

10. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Toney hardly threw any jabs v Jones and Locche didn`t used to land as many shots as Loma does secifically with his rear hand which was usually placed by his chin while he used his lead, Loma has a much better variety of shots in his locker.

11. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Can't get any slicker than the defensive geniuses of Ricardo Mayorga, Brandon Rios, and Antonio Margarito.
    Pep, Locche, Whitaker who???

roughdiamond, red cobra and TipNom like this.
  12. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    other slicksters Orlin Norris, Vilimar Fernandez, George Chaplin, wasn't bobby chacan early in his career? same with Alberto Davila. Harold Brazier was slick, and how bout howard Davis

red cobra likes this.
  13. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    RJJ

No one outslicks a prime roy jones jr. Absolutely fuarking no one!

14. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    it's impossible to say of course, there have been dozens and dozens of them over time.
    But JJW has got to be among them.

no one except of course those like him; long BEFORE him - namely the Roy Jones Jr before Jones even existed, One LLOYD MARSHALL!

George Crowcroft and Dance84 like this.
  15. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Graziano and Moon were way slicker, noob.