Slight internal head pain when moving my head around?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by stevexx28, Nov 10, 2019.

1. stevexx28

stevexx28 Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    A little about myself, I just turned 30 a few months ago, and I haven't boxed or been in the ring in years. I used to do it when I was younger 18, 19 thru about 22. I sparred and trained alot, sometimes I took a real beating in the gym, maybe a slight headache for a day or two afterwards, but nothing really serious.

I took alot of time away from the sport to focus on trying to get a career, it took me a long time, but I finally found a decent "adult job" and that area of my life, college, studying, interviewing, doing research for careers, preparing, etc. which drained so much of my energy and young years, so much that I had to sacrifice gym and sport, is finally past me, and I can look forward to enjoying my life again and getting back to the things I love.

Now, I want nothing more than to start training again, and sparring, not even really competing, although I'd love to compete as an older amateur just for fun, I'd really just like to get back in boxing shape, hit the bag, spar on occasion. Just that would be enough for me, and I'd be happy. The only thing is, in the past 2-3 weeks or so, I've developed some kind of head pain that doesn't really hurt or pound normally, but it hasn't gone away. Sometimes I shake my head around, and warm up my neck like I was about to go into a championship fight, just to entertain/amuse myself when I'm on transit or something lol. And sometimes, if I do this after a day of heavy drinking, I'll feel head ache/pain from moving it around too fast. I think to myself "this would not be a good day for a fight/boxing, since even the slightest head movement is painful."

Right now, I've been drinking very little, if any at all, eating healthy, getting good sleep, etc. No exercise because of arm injury, but otherwise, nothing that would contribute to getting headaches. But this doesn't even feel like a headache. It feels like a very specific point inside my head, on the right side, in the spot above my right eye. I do that little head shake thing, and it feels uncomfortable there. And it's been there over a week.

If I do return to the ring and start boxing again, it wouldn't be for at least 3-4 months, since I still have to recover from this arm injury. So I'm not getting punched in the head anytime soon, but if this is still there, I'd be a little worried about what this is going to feel like sparring. Has anybody here experienced something like this? Not a pounding headache, just one specific area of your head that doesn't like being shaked around, that lasts for more than a a day or two? And please don't say, "harhar this dummy asking the internet, go see a doctor dummy", I happen to live in 'Murica where a 5 min visit can cost several hundred dollars and an ambulance ride to the ER can set you back thousands, and that's if you can convince your boss in a cutthroat capitalist corporate environment to give you time off to do anything than generate profits (New guy taking time off doesn't look good. Plus I imagine a brain doctor is going to be harder to schedule and more expensive than going to get my blood pressure checked).

Cliffs:
    -OP used to box in his teen, early 20s years
    -OP took nearly a decade off to establish a career
    -OP wants to return to boxing gym, to train and stay in shape and be around the sport he loves
    -OP does the "shake your head to warm up" thing fighters do before big fights, just for fun when bored
    -OP notices that for days now, he feels a slight pain in his head, specific point, near forehead, around right eye.
    -OP worries that once/if he does return to boxing, if this pain persists, should he be getting punched in the head
    -OP seeks boxingforum24's thoughts and advice

2. Jamzy ⭐

Jamzy ⭐ Active Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Sounds like you've been bashed a few times, better git good son! Get good, before you get rekt!!!

Gotta use those boxing pranks to your advantage, son.

3. MrFoFody

MrFoFody Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Sounds like you might have a bulging disc causing a pinched nerve.
    I'd seek a professional medical opinion

4. Jamestx

Jamestx peekaboo boy Full Member

Dec 4, 2019
    It could be numerous things (from most likely to most unlikely):
    -Some kind of infection or inflammation in the skull (it might be even in the skin)
    -Neck injury (If it really feels in the skull, probably not)
    -Brain damage
    -Blood clot

It will probatbly not be very extreme so don't worry about it too much, but I would strongly advise you to talk to a medical expert specialized in the brains/nerve system. You are talking about your health and that's in my opinion the single most important thing in life. So please if you can miss the money go check in on a doctor (or maybe even try to get some medical insurance).

In the meantime you (before doctors appointment) could change your pillow and drink a lot (not alcohol tho xD cut that out for a while) this might solve the pain.
    O and for sparring in the future, taking a serious beating is not gonna make you a better boxer, don't screw around with your health and dont do heavy sparring sessions it will do no good (I assume you don't want to do matches).