Slow Jab

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by fernando4cv3, Jun 27, 2007.

1. fernando4cv3

fernando4cv3 Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2007
    My jab has lost its pop. What can i do to fix this. ive tried weights to make my hand speed faster but to no avail. I just cant pop a jab like i used to any suggestions? Thanks in advance

2. Nwil

Nwil Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
  3. fernando4cv3

Jan 20, 2007
    should i just throw repetive jabs at the heavy bag with gloves on?

4. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Are you throwing it different? My right used to be my main weopan, then it sort of fizzled out for about 2 months, but my jab excelled. It came back to me like 2 weeks ago, luckily for me, I kept the jab too. Maybe you are throwing it slightly diffent, and you don't even notice it. Thats what it was with my right, then I fixed it (after 2 months of work)

5. fernando4cv3

Jan 20, 2007
    i dunno im gonna try and fix it up in the next couple of days. I have been concentrating on my right lately though

6. BeGGeRs

BeGGeRs god Full Member

Nov 8, 2006
    you might of develop slow twitch muscle fibers from shadow boxing with weights for too long..

7. Nwil

Nwil Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    how......?

8. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    If you are just slow then you want to time the shot. If you are still too slow and are falling behind by trying to time shots then you've got to use your smarts and experience to calculate risk-reward scenarios i.e. throw three jabs to land two but take one back. Same applies for all punches. Take Cotto for example, he sometimes isn't fast enough to catch guys upstairs early. So he'll go downstairs knowing their body won't move and will slow them down in a few rounds. So he knows he'll lose if he just takes mindless risks upstairs, so he takes risks downstairs because he knows it'll pay dividends.

9. fernando4cv3

Jan 20, 2007
    i still dont have the pop when i shadow box or hit the bags but have it when it when i spar. anybody know y?

10. blan

blan New Member Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    maybe youre just not as alert on the bags and shadow boxing or maybe your wearin different gloves that make it feel slow

11. fernando4cv3

Jan 20, 2007
    i wasnt wearin gloves when i hit the bags ( softer bag). wearin 16 oz gloves when i was sparrin

12. 0.5sj719

0.5sj719 New Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2005
    I used to have a slow jab, but ive improved a bit since Ive been going back to the gym by using the double end bag. I dunno how to explain it but I hit the double end bag with two jabs fast so that the bag doesnt go to me. After doing that I took it to the bags and the difference it made was big.