Smokin' Bert Cooper

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mario, Jul 2, 2007.

1. mario

mario Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Anyone on here remember one of my favorite boxers Smokin' Bert Cooper?

2. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Round 3 against Holyfield was a classic round and his fight with Moorer is in my top 10 fights of the 1990s.

Bowe whooped him pretty badly though, maybe Bert was "Smokin" too much.

3. Sonny Carson

Sonny Carson Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Well Bowe could bang hard so it was no surprise that he did better against Cooper than Holyfield.

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I remember Bert quite well. His best performances were arguably his losing efforts against Holyfield, Mercer and Moorer. I did however, see him fight and knockout a few decent guys on the USA and ESPN networks back in the early 90's. He was a tough fighter....

5. unitas

unitas Boxing Addict Full Member

May 12, 2007
    He also did quite a job on future title challenger and that time prospect joe hipp.

erratic fighter.......you never knew who you was gonna get (you know, like forrest gump)

6. FlatNose

FlatNose Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 16, 2006
    There was once a heavily hyped heavyweight from Canada, Willie Dewitt.On national Saturday afternoon TV, Bert exposed the hype with a rather brutal knockout that left Willie boy face down in a pool of his own blood.Bert really fu**ed that boy up.

USFBulls727 and Smokin Bert like this.
  7. Bigcat

Bigcat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 10, 2006
    does anyone remember when Cooper was enjoying a little winning streak..

He beat Cecil instant Coffee on a Don King show..........

young griffo likes this.
  8. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Dewitt was the silver medal winner in the Olympics at heavyweight in 1984. Of course the Russians and Cubans boycotted the 1984's games which is why Dewitt likely made it to the final round. Dewitt was skilled, but a bit small. Cooper exposed him.

If Cooper had better management, he could have achieved greater acclaim. Cooper certainly could punch, take a punch, and brawl. A dangerous man to fight, even for the best in the division of the 80's and 90's. Indeed, Cooper had Holyfield down and in some trouble. Oliver McCall said Cooper hit him the hardest.

9. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    yeah dewitt. he was the canadian guy who was in the fight when the cuban boxer knocked out the ref...but anyways doug was totally beating the hell out of a cuban thats a bloody good prospect.

yeah cooper had another war with moorer great fighter

10. quintonjacksonfan

quintonjacksonfan Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Did cooper land a uppercut and break Dewitt nose? I remember Cooper
    doing that but I can't remember the opponent. Cooper did a number on mercers jaw

11. SchweitzerMan

SchweitzerMan Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Round 3 with Holyfield was classic

12. CANNONBALL

CANNONBALL Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2007
    yeah,i recall bert's little purple patch. he gave some good fighters hell. i remember him ko'ing prospect loren ross way back in '90. a solid fighter who had some good results and disappointing losses. lost 2 reggie gross early on

13. DoinDamage

DoinDamage Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    His fight with Ray Mercer was incredible! Amazing that the fight ended up going the 10-Round distance, considering the punishment that each guy dealt out .

Smokin Bert likes this.
  14. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I remember him giving Carl "The Truth" Williams some trouble before he got stopped by him. Good fighter, him and Holyfield should've met at cruiserweight.

15. Bigcat

Bigcat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 10, 2006
    I remember the Carl Williams fight, Carl was rocking away in the early rounds before his accuracy got ahold of Bert.......:good