So can we now say Whyte 100% ducked Ortiz?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by nurological, May 14, 2019.

1. Jamzy ⭐

Jamzy ⭐ Active Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2018
    I get what you're saying but why would Whyte want a mandatory position when with Hearn as his promoter he is basically guaranteed a shot at AJ in the future?

Also take into account Whyte would of had to fight in Bulgaria, Pulev's backyard and the with the way boxing judges are and the whole ''hometown-decision'' situation/s you can see why Whyte could be reluctant to fight Pulev.

2. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    No he had been ordered to fight Pulev ina final eliminator and I think his team won the purse bids, meaning he would go to Bulgaria.

After that WBC wanted Whyte v Ortiz for the 2nd mandatory another eliminator he turned down just to want to fight for it now against lesser opposition.

The Parker fight you can say it was a smart move financially which is fair enough but you can't complain about not getting a shot. He went for the cash.

3. Jamzy ⭐

Oct 8, 2018
    I'm aware of the purse bids between Whyte and Pulev, and for reasons which I've stated in a previous post I can understand why Whyte (and Miller) didn't want to fight in Bulgaria.

Now to Ortiz, Whyte claims that "I offered to fight Ortiz years ago, but he didn't want to know. He didn't even want to know this summer and asked for silly money coming off his knockout loss to Wilder, and made it clear that he wouldn't be ready for July 28, which was the date we had available. Funnily enough it didn't stop him fighting someone else on that day''.

Considering Ortiz and his team recently turned down the opportunity to fight Joshua, I'll take Whyte's word that Ortiz wanted no part of him on the 28th of July and wasn't ready, as evidenced by Ortiz calling Whyte out (via Boxing scene) to fight him in December (Ortiz wasn't ready to fight in July) and this isn't the first time Ortiz has been asking for silly money is it?

Hmmmm.

4. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Whyte the most improved heavyweight no doubt

Aydamn likes this.
  5. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Pulev fight was called for first, was no talk of Parker at all from what I recall.

Wizbit1013 and Jamzy ⭐ like this.
  6. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    The Ortiz and Pulev swerves are as clear as day and I've spoken about them plenty. The Usyk one gets less air time. No one in the UK knows Usyk (who was on Sky PPV lol) but Rivas, yep big household name.
    Guess you can make an argument that he ducked AJ as well.

CutThroatFade and Wizbit1013 like this.
  7. Jamzy ⭐

Oct 8, 2018
    Is the fabled ''Ortiz duck'' really as clear as day? As Neurological isn't around I'll ask you to take a look at my comments (the 33rd comment on this thread #33) on Ortiz.

8. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    For me, Whyte just saying that doesn't mean anything. I've not seen anything to suggest there were talks between the camps and nothing to suggest anyone was after any particular amount. As far as I can tell, Ortiz has been told he's getting the rematch against Wilder after Dominic B, which if that's the case then I think turning down Whyte (assuming the offer is actually real) is fine if you're assured a title shot. If not, then that absolutely isn't fine and I'll revise my thoughts as required.

The claims of Whyte ducking Ortiz stem from the WBC ordering the fight and Whyte plus team absolutely not entertaining the idea at all. Had Whyte instead fought for a world title in his next fight or two then fine, makes sense. But he didn't and hasn't. In fact had he then fought Ortiz then it's likely that he'd be next in line after Dominic B to fight Wilder. But he didn't. And he walked away from the chance to be AJ's mando. And then turned down the AJ fight anyway.

That's how I see it.

And to be clear, I don't have a problem with Whyte fighting for a world title next or his run as of late either. It's solid enough. What I do have a problem with is this 'he'll fight anyone anywhere!!!' stuff because it's simply not true. And the whole woe is me act because he hasn't been given a title shot. THAT is what I dislike.

9. nurological

May 25, 2012
    Perfectly put

Twentyman likes this.
  10. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018

This is bang on
    Perfectly put

11. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    To be fair Pulev was due to take the lion's share despite bringing nothing (financially) to the table. Think his next fight was on YouTube Vs Hughie Fury

12. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    That was on Channel 5 and I think Hughie was still well paid. It was on the main forum a while back but basically a businessman is bankrolling Pulev's fights at the moment, probably with a view to a massive cash out in a title shot with Joshua. That's why he's winning all the purse bids.

13. nurological

May 25, 2012
    No idea how splits work for a mandatory to be honest but again it just shows Whyte thinks about the money first. Not saying anything is wrong with that but then don't spin me this bull**** about how you can't get a title shot or you will fight anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Twentyman and Wizbit1013 like this.
  14. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    "if they wannnnt it they can get it"

See small print
    I must be paid more
    Fight must be in UK
    If you dont speak good english your not worth my time (unless your name is Oscar, i like that name)
    If this and any other criteria i think of on the day or during an IFL interview is not met i may decline and call you a coward in public after

Little brian and Twentyman like this.
  15. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Well it's only been a year since your comment and he beat Rivas and now he is off to fight Povetkin and risk his WBC Interim Belt... still think he is a guy that "runs"???

Actions indicate otherwise Detective Colombo