So, I finally started boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by MURDR63, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Matty lll

Matty lll Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Yeah I was told by one of the coaches to keep my thumb lined up with my temple when blocking(not all the time though) but another coach told me that you can just punch straight through that so I should do it the way I described. The coach who told me the first way hasn't been in a while so I don't know.

2. Scott-Robson

Scott-Robson Active Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I do the same thing as you where I keep my head too low all the time, my trainer always reminds me to bring my hands to my head, not my head to my hands

3. MURDR63

MURDR63 Member Full Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Yeah, I know I do it, and I'll try and fix it, but I'd rather be too tucked than too untucked.

Also, any defensive tips, guys? Currently, they only have me throwing 1's, 2's, and 3s on the heavy, double-end, and speed bags, but I'd like to try and incorporate some defensive moves into my heavy bag and double-end bag work. Any tips or suggestions that will help me not look like an idiot?

4. MURDR63

Feb 14, 2012
    u.s.

5. MURDR63

Feb 14, 2012
    Currently, I'm in super heavyweight at 230, but I want to go on a gigantic cut and get back down to 175, so I'm not fighting 300-pound fattys.

6. Fitzgerald90

Fitzgerald90 Guest

lol how tall ru coz u dnt look like your carrying alot of fat

7. MURDR63

Feb 14, 2012
    5'11.5"

6'0" with shoes

Wish I was taller...only 73" wingspan :(

8. Fitzgerald90

Fitzgerald90 Guest

yeah at 6ft ur a bit short for super heavy i know theres excpetions but 175 would be better or 185

9. MURDR63

Feb 14, 2012
    I wan to be 185, as 175 seems a bit too light for me, but from what I've seen, isn't the max for lightheavy 175?

10. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

I honestly don't feel like writing a newer testament to the bible so im gonna make it short and straight to the point. Honestly, when i was at the beginning stages i would record myself just like you, record myself and see my own mistakes. Problem here is the mistakes are too obvious and so were mine so it was pointless posting it up. You are fighting the floor? Chin must be tucked well but keep your eyes up and be smooth, you look stiff as hell. The point of shadowboxing is literally imagining an opponent infront of you and actually boxing vs him .. obviously these factors will come slowly slowly and just work on it as much as you can.

11. TVLPC

TVLPC Member Full Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Murdr, given that you have only been boxing for two months or so, I wouldn't post anything asking for critiques just yet. Go through your progression with your boxing coach and listen to his advice for awhile.

I mean this as no disrespect to any of the forum members, it just gets confusing. Mike Tyson's stance was one way for his peek a boo style while James Toney's stance was very different for how he fought(shoulder roll, less square, etc.). Both were right. Your boxing coach may be training you according to your attributes, fight style, etc. Good luck.

12. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

Exactly :deal

13. MURDR63

Feb 14, 2012
    Yeah, I suppose you're right, I was just trying to make sure I wasn't telegraphing my hook (I was).

Anyways, went again today, and while I still have not gotten the hook down, the trainer gave me a great tip for the speed bags, and I instantly became MUCH MUCH better at it. I still have work to do on it, but the tip he gave me just really helped me, despite how simple it was.

Also, he said that I'd start hitting pads next week. Really excited, I just don't want to screw up. What kind of drills should I expect with pads the first time? Thanks in advance.