So many on here were picking Mikey to win...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by GK BOX, Mar 17, 2019.

1. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I mean why! This was a mismatch from the start. ERROL SPENCE IS THE TRUTH I BEEN TELLING YOU ALL
    Mikey lost every minute of the 36 minutes of the fight. It was a one sided beat down. A total mismatch.
    There is a reason why Porter Thurman and DSG dont want that ESJ smoke
    Only Crawford can beat ESJ at welter
    For those that were picking Mikey
    YDKSAB!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON1, Barrera, JacK Rauber and 4 others like this.
  2. SpeedKills

SpeedKills Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Mikey the midget going the distance showed it clearly wasnt a mismatch. I did mess up, I thought it would have been more competitive because I took mikey garcia's word that they wouldnt put on too much weight that it would inhibit his sharpness and speed. First rd, before a punch was thrown I said straight away mikey was very heavy on his feet. He could not move on his legs at all, and when he threw his hands were slow too.

This is why fighters take some fights to adjust to carrying that extra mass. But I also think with a more experienced s&c team he could have done it better to have given us atleast a more competitive fight.

Jackomano likes this.
  3. TheMotorCityCobra

TheMotorCityCobra Active Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I didn't think Mikey looked that good at 140 vs Lipinets. Go back and watch that fight. An inexperienced, untested former kickboxer with 13 pro fights, in Lipinets, landed a lot of clean shots on Garcia. Mikey's ideal weight right now is 135, no S&C would have made a difference vs Spence. I love Mikey, but I just didn't see there was anyway he could deal with Spence length and hand speed. I did, however, expect it to be a little more competitive. I expected Garcia to land counter left hooks over the top of Spence's sometimes lunging jab, like Brook did, but Spence was far too sharp and too quick for Garcia last night. Errol can really box, man.

DON1, JacK Rauber and SpeedKills like this.
  4. SpeedKills

SpeedKills Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I think you're right about the weight. Although i'd still argue a proper s&c coach would make a world of difference in carrying what he has at his ideal weight up by amplyfing his speed ontop of the strength and size.

But yea. Someone on here mentioned him being a plodder and it occured to me with each weightclass he goes up he becomes more flat footed, so it's not surprising people label him as so. He really did go overboard vs spence though, in the leadup he was saying how he was prioritizing his speed and sharpness and that he might come in at 147 on the actual night. But he looked like he might have come in at near 160.

And I know spence can box, it's just the weaknesses in his game I thought a garcia who could get off could have taken advantage of on occasion to make it a more dramatic fight.I do remember one counter left hook maybe in rd 3. And I think one in the late rds. Not very sharp though. He had the strength and consequently some somewhat heavy hands, but just no snap.

TheMotorCityCobra likes this.
  5. Impulse_0

Impulse_0 Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What? It was a horrendous mismatch how can anyone watch the fight and say it was not?

Just cause Mikey didn’t get knocked out doesn’t mean anything. He could fight Spence 100 times and I doubt he wins once based on that performance.

GK BOX likes this.
  6. DonnyMo

DonnyMo Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2011
    You guys need to get over the S&C talk. Mikey is a pudgy doughboy at 135lbs as well. Smooth as a soda can.

There is nothing anyone could have done to build him to 147lbs. He won't succeed at 140lbs either against a real champion. His body isn't built for this. Skills and instincts can only get you so far.

People were conned into the hype for this fight and made bold predictions. They fell for the whole, "Mikey must see something". Let me tell you what Mikey saw, Vasily Lomachenko.

I've said it 100x on this board and will say it again, Mikey, Robert and Haymon wanted NONE of that fight. If you're going to lose 12 rounds, you're better off losing 12 rounds to an in house fighter who's considered "the man" at Welterweight. We sell it to the public as "daring to be great" and "he see's something". Then you try to carve out the last couple pay checks at 140lbs (though Haymon doesn't have any names down there)

Being lost in the Matrix with a much smaller man would be devastating to his legacy and marketability. They did the smart thing. It's clear he doesn't have the speed or athletisicm to hang in the Matrix. The skills, while quite good, are not on that level whatsoever.

People bought into it. Realities were shattered. In the end Garcia actually did the right thing for himself.

12toneman, gold, Sugar 88 and 2 others like this.
  7. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Indeed
    However Mikey won’t be as slow at 140

8. Pretty Boy Floyd

Pretty Boy Floyd Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Going the distance doesn't mean a thing, there are career journeymen with 100's of fights that never get stopped because they fight to survive, Mikey went into survival mode for the majority of the fight, but he did show small bursts of epic heart a few times spence landed some big shots he fired right back like the warrior he is. That's how he needed to fight the whole fight, only he knows why he didn't.

Clairmonte Hughes and kriszhao like this.
  9. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I thought he'd do way better. Seems he was just picking up that fat check. Back to 135. No biggie.

10. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Some people (even knowledgeable boxing fans) just can't not to root for the underdog.

Holler and GK BOX like this.
  11. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Where were you last night Donny Mo,far from me to rub it in,nice to fall for this kind of stuff isn’t it?

12. Angler Andrew

Jun 28, 2016
    Yep just like Broner does,you don’t see it much at the higher weight classes but if the smaller guys choose to shut up shop and survive it’s very hard to get the KO.

13. Angler Andrew

Jun 28, 2016
    Whilst I was in no illusions about the result of that fight I tried not to think it was about him avoiding Lomo,after last nights performance however and with the knowledge of hindsight I think that’s exactly exactly what it was and imo we won’t ever get that fight now.
    I do wonder how many fights are like some WWE s***?Kell Brook had everyone buzzing as he won a round or two and was literally taking it to Golovkin and ended fighting for his life.Did anyone get that feeling last night,why did Spence only lay into him from round nine?Not trying to blow my own trumpet but I did suggest that Spence could string this out.I know CST80 doesn’t believe that was the case but I dunno?of late I’m becoming way too good at predicting these fights and trust me that’s not a good thing.

14. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    There's a reason for weight classes. Fighter at their more natural weight have built-in advantages that many fans fail to see. They're bigger, taller, stronger, longer and even faster. The fighter moving up have to gain unnatural weight, slowing them down. They also lose speed and power relative to the fighter at their natural weight. Technical ability will only get you so far and Garcia was overrated going into the fight. Best technical fighter in boxing?... please.

Some people can move up in weight better than others because of their genetics. Others cut a lot of weight to fight in lower weight classes, so when they move up, they're just cutting less weight. Not to be racist or anything, but many Mexicans traditionally do not handle extra weight very well.

By moving up in weight, Garcia gave away pretty much every advantage he had. He looked like a midget compared to Spence and I immediately knew size was going to be a huge factor in the fight. There's a reason why Spence was a sizeable favorite (no pun intended)... personally I thought the odds were too close. At no point did I thought Garcia had a chance to beat Spence.

DON1 likes this.
  15. Hi-Tek-Lomo

Hi-Tek-Lomo Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    that's because this site is mostly filled with morons

DON1 likes this.