So who's going to be the one to pop the Povetkin hype bubble?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by RAMPAGE0017, Aug 28, 2007.

1. RAMPAGE0017

RAMPAGE0017 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 30, 2007
    Who's going to be the wrong guy to face eventually?

2. Maxime

Maxime Sweet Science Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I don't think Povetkin is hyped.

He's done an excellent job since the beginning of his career and the comments he's getting are just a reflexion of that.

The guy was a world class amateur. He won the gold medal at the olympics. Not to mention he had better opposition in the first 2 years of his career then most heavyweight with +30 fights. And he dominated every single one of them.

How's that hype? It's just plain facts.

3. mykolakozak

mykolakozak Active Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Either of the Klitschko brothers will kill Povetkin, but Povetking will play a major role 5 years from now.

4. RAMPAGE0017

May 30, 2007

Audley Harrison won a gold medal as well. And anyhow, I'm speaking of this " future king of the HW division " nonsense. The only good opposition he's fought was a faded Larry Donald, every other fighter on his record are just the usual fighters which any boxer will face when trying to build himself up. There's nothing " special " about this guy's record so far.

5. huki

huki huk huk ^_^;; Full Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Povetkin is underhyped if anything on this board. If he was a white American, boxing forums on the internet would be hyping him up INSANELY at this point. You would hear things about how he would kill Klitschko, own the division, and become an ATG daily.

6. sues2nd

sues2nd Fading into Bolivian... Full Member

Aug 7, 2004
    I dont know.

Povetkin is good, there is no doubt about that...but he is also still young and has to work on quite a few things.

I would give Brock or Byrd a good chance vs him.

I do think he will be a champ one day tho....

7. RAMPAGE0017

May 30, 2007

Underhyped? Povetkin threads show up on this board weekly. I'd hardly say he was " underhyped ". And that race card is BS, I'm already hearing about how this guy is going to supposedly own the division.

8. sues2nd

Aug 7, 2004
    :patsch

More anti american bull****.

Mesi (a WHITE AMERICAN HW) has beaten better fighters and done more than Alexander so far, and NOONE has said anything about him beating the Klits, owning the division or becoming an ATG.

BRING THAT BULL**** SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

9. RAMPAGE0017

May 30, 2007
    What I'm wondering is.. is anybody truly considering what they're seeing of this guy in the pro ranks, or is everybody just mesmerized by his glossy amateur background? Because to me he doesn't look any better than Ibragimov.

10. huki

huki huk huk ^_^;; Full Member

Nov 12, 2006
    I live in America and saying that American bias doesn't exist is just a straight lie. Joe Mesi is a ****ing joke and a bad example. He never had real impressive skills or abilities and he fought bums for a bunch of years before even taking small steps up. Don't compare a joke like Mesi to a young impressive talent with a great amateur background that has the confidence to take huge steps up in competition very quickly. If Povetkin was an American (especially white), he would have 50 times more popularity on these forums.

If you knew something about world amateur competitions, you would know that Povetkin did more than just win the gold medal. Yes, the only good opposition he has fought is Larry Donald. But after only 13 fights, he has took risky, big steps up like nobody in recent times and still hasn't lost 1 round in his pro career. He has shown excellent skills and improvement after every match and you can't say that his confidence in taking these risks, looking very comfortable in the ring, and handling his opponents with ease in any challenge isn't very impressive. He's taking on top HW's in his next two matches after just 13 fights and he will be the favorite going into them. There's a reason for that.

11. RAMPAGE0017

May 30, 2007

I didn't say anything about his confidence, I'm judging what I'm seeing of him in the ring so far, and so far he doesn't look any better than what we currently have at the top of the division. What's so impressive about what this guy's done to the opposition he's faced so far? Like I said.. they're the usual fighters which many.. many boxers fight in order to build their resume. And if he's a gold medalist, I think it's safe to say that his career thus far is being managed carefully.

12. sues2nd

Aug 7, 2004
    I DONT CARE WHERE YOU LIVE....the anti american bs is gettin old on here...and I aint the only one sick of reading it.

YOU YOURSELF STATED THAT IF POVETKIN WAS WHITE AND AMERICAN BLAH BLAH BLAH....

I pointed out that Mesi (who I 100% agree with you BTW, wouldnt last 5 rounds with Povetkin) has fought better comp...is undefeated AND AS YOU SAID WHITE AND AMERICAN!!! Yet NOONE has staked that bs **** you put out there.

Is there an american media bias...YES!

Does it exist in EVERY ****IN INSTANCE???? **** NO!

Do ALOT of the non-american posters on this forum think it does??? HELL YES!!!

Its a joke now. Everytime an american poster picks an american fighter over a non-american fighter....SOME JACKASS comes in and plays the anti-american bs card.

Povetkin is a nice fighter. I like the guy. BUT as of right now, he hasnt done squat (when your biggest win is Larry Donald....your not a world beater YET!!!). I do think he will be a champ one day...but the key is ONE DAY!

He is overrated by some (YOURSELF) and underrated by loads more. This has nothing to do with him being Russian instead of American...it has to do with his best win being vs LARRY ****ING DONALD!!

Again...get that anti american BS the **** outta here.

(sorry for the rant everyone...but you all know how much that **** pisses me off. If its warrented, then I will back it...if not I will attack it!)

13. Bobby

Bobby ***.markdemori.com Full Member

Sep 11, 2004
    i dont think hes all hype, the only guys i see beating him clearly are klitsckos and sam peter, prob oleg maskaev , but that says alot for a guy with not many fights

14. H .

H . Boxing Junkie banned

Jan 20, 2007
    :good, ....:smoke

15. Decker

Decker Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2007
    sues2nd, relax, I think you and huki made some valid points. But there is just as much, if not more, a pro US bias as an anti US bias. And considering what AP has accomplished so far, he is not "hyped". Anyway in this sport, most fighters with a good amatuer background that go 10-0, 15-0, etc. start getting played up one way or the other. Sure AP may not be so special when he fights top comp, but you can say that about most any top prospect.

Most fans bring national, ethnic, and other biases to their boxing views. What's your real problem with Povetkin?