Some of the overlooked fighters I’ve come across during my recent studies...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bujia, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I use “studies” pretty loosely. I have the Internet at my disposal, same as most of you. I’ve just been on a Boxrec binge over the last month or two, gladly going down rabbit hole after rabbit hole. It happens, and it’s a good thing. Every now and then one of these diamond in the rough types captures the imagination and becomes a permanent fixture in the classic mindset. Midget Wolgast, Newsboy Brown, Rodolfo Casanova, Memphis Pal Moore, etc., etc.

Wish I could divulge more on these guys, but if you can find much more than what’s on Boxrec and some misc ratings, help me out.

Carl Tremaine- Bantamweight from the Moore/Williams/Herman/Lynch era that was right there in the mix with any of them

Johnny Griffiths- Lightweight/Welterweight from the Leonard/Welsh/Britton/Lewis/Walker era that fought, and defeated, damn near everyone

Frankie Schoell- Began his career being thrust into the Lightweight Golden era against Duffy, White, Kansas, etc. and ended up going tit for tat with Maxie Rosenbloom up at Lt. Heavy despite weighing little more than a Lt. Middle.

Joe Mandot- Overlooked because his name is Joe? Fought and beat a who’s who from the Lightweight Golden age.

Joe Shugrue- See above

Manuel Quintero- His name seemed to be in every rabbit hole as an L for the fighter I was currently looking into. Another Pedro Montanez?

Andy Callahan- Beat prime Lou Brouillard, prime Ceferino Garcia, prime Battling Battalino, Ralph Zanelli, and won 4/7 against the more highly renowned Sammy Fuller, and did so in rhythm. Never hitting a rough patch until the third act of his career.

Pete Latzo- You know he had a brother Steve. You didn’t know he beat Willie Ritchie, Dave Shade, Frankie Schoell, Mickey Walker, and Maxie Rosenbloom, among others.

I’ll keep adding to the thread over the coming days.

2. The Senator

The Senator Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2017
    You piqued my interest in Pete Latzo, that's for sure.

3. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Great thread, i need to look into these fighters too.

4. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    You should check out cyber boxing zone.

5. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    Pretty sure that forum’s been dead for like 8 years.

6. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    Guess I should’ve included a resume sampler for all of them.

7. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Check out Johnny Indrisano. He has an impressive record in non-title fights against world champions as I recall.

George Crowcroft and Bujia like this.
  8. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    Good call, too. A bit inactive by that era’s standard, but he was remarkably consistent once he caught his stride and picked up some strong wins towards the end of his run.

KasimirKid likes this.
  9. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Billy Wallace. Long career with lots of fights (including the 4-round era early in his career). Consistent winner up to and including the end of his career.

10. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    Del Flanagan- Another one that I’m sure you’ve come across but didn’t make much of. And another that started at Lightweight and eventually made his way up to Middle. I’ll just throw out 5 names he beat along the way:

Sandy Saddler
    Beau Jack
    Johnny Saxton
    Kid Gavilan
    Willie Pastrano

11. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected

12. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    Carlos Chavez- I intend on making a thread on his entire era, so I’ll just make the suggestion and offer a piece of advice: when checking into his resume, don’t let his mediocre record blind you. He’s the standard case of a fighter who hung on too long. However, during his prime, which lasted the duration of the 1940s, he was arguably the best Bantam of the era outside Ortiz.

Among the men he beat: Manuel Ortiz himself, Lou Salica, Tony Olivera several times, Art Aragon, Lauro Salas twice, Harold Dade twice, etc.

mcnugget1290uh and greynotsoold like this.
  13. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Pedro Montanez, was the #1 wel. contender . 1938 -1939. The first fighter to stop him, was Davey Day natural lightweight, who came in two heavier at 137 lb. as he was fighting Montanez who scaled around 145 lb. with the winner to fight Henry Armstrong for the wel. title. Armstrong fought Montanez instead, not anxious to fight Mr. Day a second time because Hank took a terrible beating and was damaged goods, when the referee, looked at Armstrongs bloody face and said, "You can rest now" stopped the match at 2:48 of the 12th rd. and gave it to Armstrong via
    tko . Mr. Day was ahead of Hank up to the 10th rd. Davey fought half the fight blind in eye and just a squint out the other, not caused by Hanks punishes but his elbows. Davey softened Montanez up for Armstrong, that's why he'd rather fight Montanez bypassing Davey.

Bujia likes this.
  14. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    Was he your dad or grandpa? I wish there was footage of him.

15. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Bujia, thank you for showing interest. To find out (truthfully) what it was like fighting in the Golden Age of Boxing, with News clippings, pic. etc.
    Google: Davey Day nailing Lou Ambers, also check other items listed, you don't have buy anything, all information is in the descriptions. Davey Day vs. Armstrong, and Davey Day arriving in Big Apple to fight Montanez. Also, Nelson Algren renown author/writer, interviewed Davey after his fight Armstrong, in the Library of Congress, under Folk Lore by Nelson Algren. Mike Jacobs who controlled all of boxing and fighters in NY, wanted to buy Daveys contract from his managers Pian and Winch, but wasn't for sale. If you care for more info, just let me know. Yes, we are related.