Someone explain why Ray Leonard is ranked so highly?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MercuryChild, Dec 11, 2013.

1. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    :lol:

typical ***** chiming in with the snide remarks now wants out-"LEAVE ME ALONE!"

"I SAID STOP IT!"

"Mommy, I started a fight and cant finish it"

"mommy tell him to stop it!"

:lol:

some people, they can give but they cant take

2. TheSouthpaw

TheSouthpaw Champion Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    I believe most Leonard fans would agree that the first Hearns fight was his finest performance!!

3. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    I'm sure they probably would but looking at the performance objectively, I would note Leonard wasnt nearly as effective against an opponent on the move as any sort of movement would throw him off

even Gil Clancy said it numerous times "he takes too long to get set" "why doesn't he throw a punch"

meaning he was too hesitant to take the chance. once he got in range it was a different story but this is something his FANS cant seem to differentiate

I'm not even nitpicking, just pointing out why his style, approach, his temperment, his mental makeup, failed him in the Norris fight. I knew it beforehand which is why I bet heavy on Terry to win

and the problems seen in the Hearns fight, we saw them exploited heavily in the Norris fight.

Every time Ray would try to find the right opening, Norris (trigger fisted), wouldnt wait around & paste him,, or move out of range.

Ray takes too long to study an opponent like Terry or Camacho.

it will never work on guys like these--> Terry Norris, Nunn, Jones, Floyd, guys like that becuz they are given the time to unleash, rat-atat-tat,, beat him to the punch

it is this which Bill Walsh, a former boxer himself who led the Niners to three championships, used as is philosophy also, EMPHASIS-beat the other guy to the punch.

SPEED SPEED SPEED.

and this is what Terry did-beat Ray to the punch repeatedly, setting the pattern that would last from start to finish. Terry created the blueprint for success and paved the way

so really, who cares if Ray has a tehcnical win over a fighter like Hagler. Hagler was too slow by then anyways? He was a used up fighter and we all kno it

it's the YOUNG lions that count, not some used up used-to-be-on-his-way-out-yesterday's news. not Bruce Finch. Not Dave Green. Not Lalonde or Larry Bonds, Andy Price or Kalule

fights like this are meaningless. even the Hagler fight as well on account of the ridiculous delay (on Ray's account)

the man just needed too many concessions and in the fight with Norris, he didnt get any and it cost him

4. Waynegrade

Waynegrade Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Harass your poor wife... And again, please learn to read...

5. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    Mommy tell him to learn how to read!

6. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    this time he used the word "please"

he must be getting desperate :lol:

7. Waynegrade

Jul 27, 2008
    You must still be on Mommy... Weren`t you the one who made reference to wanting to actually see a big fight ?? Didn`t you take my advice and get your `wife` to go out and shake a can for the `less than` ? Please make sure she does that ... Such a sad,pitiful existence you live...

8. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    Southpaw, when I saw today's game I was thinking of this thread. One big reason for the blowout comes down to speed

when u have a young, hungry, well coached athlete, combined with outstanding speed, this is to be expected

it was the reason why the Niners defeated the Dallas Cowboys way back when to win their first NFC championship. it was the reason they became the dominant tem of the 80s and it was one of the main reasons why the Seahawks blew out the favored Broncos

SPEED!

you can compare our outstanding new NFL champion to a young Terry Norris

9. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    I can go one better than u

U must be still sucking your mommy's **** cuz u acting like a baby :D

10. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    that was classless Rooster

what u expect, I'm from the hood

11. TheSouthpaw

TheSouthpaw Champion Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ummmmm What!!? :roll: Im pretty sure Terry Norris would have beaten the Broncos today single handily!

12. Waynegrade

Jul 27, 2008
    Your the best Southpaw !! Hope you enjoyed the game pal :)

13. LobowolfXXX

LobowolfXXX Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Exactly. Nice qualifier. You can compare them to a young Sugar Ray Leonard, too.

14. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    yeah it was just like Terry Norris all over again. expected to lose and then to everyone's surprise, u end up with a blowout with the younger, less experienced athlete, or team of athletes, taking charge

****in awesome!

its a factor in all sports. This was one of the youngest teams to compete in the Superbowl along with the 1992 Dallas Cowboys with the average age of 26

notice that youth is accompanied with speed and with speed, dominance?

15. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    Sugar never put in that dominant performance that we saw ast night against someone favored over him

I'm talking Terry Norris, Roy Jones, that type of fighter, that type of dominance

that's why Sugar' name wasnt brought up