Someone school me on Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Asterion, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Utter crap? Read Clay's book on Langford. 20 years age is a fine estimate. Did the knockdown happen? If you read enough reports some of them make no mention of a knockdown in fights ( not talking about Langfrod vs Johnson ) , while other fight reports covering the same match do! It comes down to this. Do you believe your wife beating, color line drawing, idol who have all sorts of trouble with super middle weights, and in fact quit twice in the ring would lie about Langford flooring him?:lol: Its a yes or no quesiton. No means you think he is lying. So what is it Mcvey?

As for Johnson DQ loss, I have posted multiple reports saying he went low. I have also posted Jeannette saying he was in the 160's when he last meet Johnson, and a fight report that said there was 25 pounds between the two! You just skip and forget newspapers that do not suit your agenda. That is ok, there are other here who are objective on this topic.

NEXT!

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Those flaws are there, but when you fast, and hit hard the other guy's often on the defensive. Ali and Louis also had many technical flaws.What you said on Dempsey is correct, however what about the other side of the coin?

Dempsey had great hand speed, dynamite power in both hands, quick feet with excellent lateral mobility, a good reach for a man his size ( 77" ), and a solid enough chin. In addition Dempsey had a killer instinct in the ring as an infighter or out fighter. The style of a big puncher/pressure fighter is Wlad's toughest match up style wise.

I certainly think Dempsey has a chance here. He's not going to sit back and punk out of a fight if he keeps getting hit with a jab or right hand. He's going to go for it, and could very well win via stoppage if Wlad doesn't tie him up. To me this match could go either way.

3. MadcapMaxie

MadcapMaxie Guest

Of course Dempsey has a chance as would most punchers but it's not a very big one tbh. Dempsey was a fairly limited slugger that from the word go rushed at his opponent throwing wide bombs, not giving a damn what came back his way.

He leaves himself wide open to be countered and Wlad can throw fairly quick short left hooks and rights down the pipe and when your a big puncher who weighs about 245 and your punching down on a guy who weighs 185 it's hard to imagine them being able to take much if any of the shots. Could you imagine Marvin Hagler taking Max Baer's shots and still be standing? Because the weight difference is the same and it most certainly makes a differences especially when regarding punchers.

As for Dempsey's reach being 77" that doesn't really matter he wasn't a rangy fighter, i've never seen Dempsey taking advantage of his reach it just wasn't his style. His speed would be the biggest problem but then again even Jungle Jess Willard who was slow as molasses was landing on Dempsey as was the EXTREMELY crude Firpo who fought as if he just came straight from the bar.

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    No one ,including Langford knew his date of birth.
    What we do know is Langford had 51 recorded fights when he fought Johnson, that he scaled 156lbs to Johnson's 185lbs,that Johnson knocked him down for 2 counts of 9 , broke his nose and closed his eye. That Langford went on record as stating," Johnson handed me the only real beating I ever took".
    You keep referring to the discredited ," Mes Combats".
    A hotpotch ,mish mash of stories attributed to Johnson , Johnson did not even write. a French reporter cobbled them together from a series of news articles they were less than successful as a seller ,and lay forgotten about until another journalist " translated "them into English, they were then "translated "and "edited "once more .
    I repeat for the hundreth time ,Johnson did not write them ,but you allready know this.

You have posted NO source that any reasonable person can give credibility to .

We have been over all this many , many, times before , Johnson retired in his corner against Bob Lawson , between the 7th and 8th rounds he had been floored in the previous round. Johnson was 48 years old. Twenty eight days earlier, Johnson had gone 15rds to beat Pat Lester 6'3.5" 225lbs.

Johnson retired after the 6th round against Bill Hartwell, Johnson had broken his hand in the 2 nd rd. Johnson was 50 years old.
    A month after this fight the 6'3", 222lbs Hartwell stopped Larry Gains in 6 rds.

The loss to Jeannette ,the ONLY loss to him has been posted many, many times with numerous primary sources stating Johnson was winning handily. You posted an unattributed read with no author, or newspaper heading that is NOT a primary source.

Appollack and many others have corrected you on this countless times.

Judging by the mistakes in your diatribe I bet there was foam on your lips when you attempted to type this ****.
    :yep
    Now, do us all a favour and get back to your Klan meeting, you no longer amuse .

This content is protected

5. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Using the reverse of that logic, wlad and lewis had absolutely no issues with fighter's of comparative weight to dempsey both won in lop sided fashion.

Bowe and vitali both showed weakness against comparable guys in holy and byrd. Bowe went 1-1 in his prime with a prime holy who I think is better suited for battle with the big guys, but that's someting worth considering i'd agree, however evander fought an outside game brilliantly and I don't know if jack could fight an outside fight to such success.

Vitali was sent on the backfoot by byrd and was soundly outlanded from round 5 onwards so if jack could implement the right mix of pressure and headmovement it isn't beyond reason.

But wlad and lewis would be massive favourites. How much did byrd weigh?

6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006

7. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    No i'd say the likes of tua and haye are closer to jack's quality than willard and fulton are to lewis's and wlad's.

That's the thing, I don't think jack could afford to mix it up with bowe as he was just as good an inside fighter and much bigger and more powerful. Holy fought a conservative outfight, with lateral movement and pinpoint combinations whilst staying out of range, against big daddy and I don't think there's any evidence of jack fighting in such a way.

Vitali has never looked good infighting but it's difficult to imagine him losing to a guy 70 pounds lighter.

Whilst they may be less durable they were also master's of defence. Both have made mistakes in their career (being countered and poor fitness) and jack could take them out under these circumstances but talking peak for peak (lewis v golota; wlad v byrd 2; jack v willard) I have to favour lewis and wlad.

Had I fought jack capable of playing undersized outfighter as holy did i'd consider jack's chances against bowe as being better.

Of the 4 he's more likely to beat vitali if he can keep up the pressted and movement but it'd be the hardest fight of his life. As I say, the 70 pound difference leads me to favour vitali. I'm not sure how much byrd weighed and that might make me reconsider also.

8. janitor

Feb 15, 2006

9. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009

10. janitor

Feb 15, 2006

11. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005

12. janitor

Feb 15, 2006

13. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I would assume he's talking about him just trying to bull his way into people and leaving himself very open when he hits or misses. He is often off balance and wide open for counters. Glaring problems in his defense or lack there of. Just what I would guess

14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    How did this guy last so many rounds against Willard?

15. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Williard wasn't active... old... took Dempsey lightly.. Williard isn't nearly as good as Bowe, Lewis, Klits etc etc. Dempsey had no power no doubt but couldn't put him away with uncontested punch after punch....