Something amiss in Team Eubank?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Whytesnake, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Whytesnake

Whytesnake Armchair GOAT Full Member

Apr 3, 2021
    Just rewatched the fight with Smith and noticed some things.
    1) I thought Eubank took very long to come out of the dressing room. They knocked it twice and I think the security had to open the door telling them to come out. I know they could have been making Smith wait, but I just get the feeling something wasn’t right.
    2) Before the fight he’s clenching his jaw a lot and moving his neck. Maybe he got dropped in sparring and was weary of getting hit. Also in the fight he’s moving back a lot after throwing his jab. Smith easily backs him into a corner during the fight. A guy with an iron chain being weary with an exchange with a 154 pounder. Then again he could just be working on his style and warming into the fight.
    3)After the fight Robert Smith from the British board was in the corner with Team Eubank. Could have just been related to the stoppage but it looked like they were talking about something else other than the stoppage. I get the feeling that something wasn’t right with Eubank prior to the fight whether it be weight drain , an injury or something else.
    4) Roy Jones Jr looked in absolute shock after the fight. I think the jury’s still out on him as a trainer. His career went on far too long and he failed to realise he was past it. Could do the same with the fighters he is training.

This could all be speculation and we won’t know until anything comes out

SeanB1 likes this.
  2. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    There’s footage someone caught of Eubank Jr furious at Roy Jones. Jr also strangely mentions to Kugan after the weigh in how strange he feels and how he needs to leave the interview to eat

SeanB1 and Whytesnake like this.
  3. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    His mind looked elsewhere to me. He didn’t want to be there. It was quite sad knowing his brother wasn’t there and his father very ill, like he was on his own against the whole Smith family unit

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Gazanta87, Mugen38, SeanB1 and 3 others like this.
  4. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    He looked teary eyed as he came out the dressing room.

5. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
  6. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Him and his team seriously thought smith would be an easy fight. I do think Eubank probably realised closer to the fight that fighting @ 160 was a problem for him.

Camaris likes this.
  7. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Didn't notice anything physically wrong with his jaw during the ring walk. Apart from not looking particularly confident, he did seem to have watery eyes like he'd just been crying.

Erstworld likes this.
  8. djfonti

djfonti Active Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    He weighed 159. Suggests a bad weight cut. Also had back to back arduous camps.

ryanm8655 likes this.
  9. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Can you post this footage or link it please?

10. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    I'm not convinced about Roy Jones Jr as a trainer. Not all great fighters make great trainers. Abit like footballers becoming managers (Gerrard, Lampard etc). Has Jones Jr had any success as a trainer with a fighter? Has he helped anyone win a title? I'm not sure why Eubank Jr is so invested in having him. Apparently, Jones Jr moves in with him as part of the camp.

DramaShow likes this.
  11. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I think Eubank fought in a style that isn't suited to him and came up against a very tough and seasoned Liam Smith who knows how to fight, had the right game plan and was simply much better on the night. I could be wrong but I don't think it's anything deeper than that.

im sparticus, VanBasten and Erstworld like this.
  12. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    He got banged out

No need to over think things

Smudge_, VanBasten and lepinthehood like this.
  13. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    If he was crying just before the fight, he said he’d never cried in his life until his brother died so quite significant

Erstworld likes this.
  14. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    CutThroatFade likes this.
  15. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    DramaShow and jimmyonebomb like this.