Something Fresh- newspaper account of two unkown welters with good records!

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by El Hans, Jan 27, 2021.

1. El Hans

El Hans Member banned Full Member

May 30, 2019
    SHANE GOLLOB 78 (27KO’s) 8 L’s 3NC’S

vs

CEASRO SIGEUNO 203 (70KO’s) 12NC’s 17L’s (3KO’s)

1937 Adison

“For an instant they fiddled after the gong announced the start and then they broke for each other, coming to a clinch. Sigeuno boxed and Gollab took a chance, literally throwing his left in. It fell short but he tried again, always to be blocked by his clever opponent. Ceasro made like a ghost and feinted which was paid and he got home a half left crunching swing to the body. More sparring, with Gollob boring in. A slight let-up in the going and Sigeuno went in with both arms working. He landed a left and right on the body lightly. Gollob got away with a left on his adversaries stomach as the round ended.”

From the second round, Ceasro and Shane tragically upped the pace. Gollob attacked Sigueno’s body with ripping hooks, only to be met by a sledgehammer of a left uppercut that caught Joe on the tip of his nose, the hulking Jap had left Joe waltzing for a moment before collapsing to the canvas blood seeping from his left drum.”

Brutal stuff anymore info on these guys? cant find anything on Boxrec about them i had to write all this down by hand (dont own a phone no screenshot) from a newspaper my Pa showed me on a visit i thought this mystery would be a different pace then what we are used to with these cookie cutter Rocky threads.

2. fistfighter

fistfighter 44-3-1 (42KO's) Full Member

Oct 3, 2016
    The writing style sounds more like a Robert Howard boxing story, than sports writing.

Pretty sweet article.

3. El Hans

May 30, 2019
    I thought it was quite the epic Crom bless these mystery men.

4. El Hans

May 30, 2019
  5. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    You didn't happen to get the byline information for the article, did you? I looked briefly but couldn't find anything else on them.

6. El Hans

May 30, 2019
    Unfortunately I did not, the paper I copied it off of was in a tragic state amongst a pile of other newspapers, magazines and old school boxing memorabilia I was limited on time and was betting on a person here who would recognize the names and summon some newspaper scans from the void about these two.

There are so many voided fighters throughout the years who's careers exist hundreds of bouts short of reality, others fail to ever be photographed, recorded or even on boxrec this appears to be a case of all of the above.

7. SolomonDeedes

SolomonDeedes Active Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2011
    El Hans and mrkoolkevin like this.
  8. El Hans

May 30, 2019
    I noticed that, very odd I was uncertain if it was a nickname or not Joe has significantly less bouts perhaps a case of being voided due to time.